1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Republican controlled senate means...?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Timsup2nothin, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

With the Republicans taking control of the senate I am really wondering what they will do. They have had control of the house, and used that control to spew out bills ad nauseum that had no possibility of becoming law since they were expressly passed to die in the senate. So now are they going to stick to this strategy and spew out an endless stream of bills for Obama to veto? Or are they going to try to get something done?

That's question one.

My guess is that they will spew out bills for Obama to veto, since the Republican leadership is most likely going to operate from the idea that their behavior in the house has 'worked' as evidenced by this election. If so, that leads to other questions.

Will this strategy 'work' in regards to forwarding a Republican victory in the 2016 presidential race?

Can the nation really afford two more years of the federal government doing very close to absolutely nothing? Or is very close to absolutely nothing from them actually the best that can happen so we should be glad for the interval we have enjoyed and just hope it continues?

If I'm wrong, and the Republican leadership changes course and tries to actually get something done, what might it be? Is there anything this Republican controlled congress can actually find a compromise with Obama on?

2. Antilogic

Antilogic --

The TV talking heads seem to think the fast-track trade deals will happen (i.e. more stuff like NAFTA).

(Sub post, more thoughts later.)

3. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Depends on if Obama wants to be remembered as the most veto-happy President in history.

Effectively it means nothing. The local election results are very terrifying though.

4. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I'd think we are going to see some showdowns over the immigration stuff if Obizzle stops punting on it, environmental regulations (a lot of GOPers were running against that), and probably financial regulation (you can't get that much money from big donors and not give them a kickback).

5. VGL

VGL Deity

Actually, the new congers leader (or something like. That can't remreber) said that they will try to reach a comprise and not put thousands of bills that Obama will veto

6. Antilogic

Antilogic --

They always say that.

7. VGL

VGL Deity

Did not know. Thanks.

8. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Plus, even if he means it I doubt he will have the ability to keep the Teahadists under control.

9. Timsup2nothin

These potential showdowns are what I was wondering about in regards to continuing the strategy. The House could get away with sending garbage to die in the Senate, because even if the Senate got tired of killing stuff and complained no harm was done. So Harry Reid says there was no substance in the forty-eighth iteration of 'we hate Obamacare' that the House proposed...who listens to Harry Reid?

But if the congress passes obvious garbage that might as well be signed 'since we know this won't pass we didn't even bother making sense' and Obama calls them on it they are going to get tarred with a very black brush in a very public way. The next two years could become a replay of the 2012 election, with the Congress clearly identifiable in the role of Mitt Romney...forced by their faithful vocal minority of supporters to put up wildly unpopular ducks for Obama to shoot down on issue after issue.

10. Timsup2nothin

There won't be thousands...probably just hundreds.

11. Harv

Harv Emperor

Why is this a bad thing?

12. Timsup2nothin

I added back in the part you left out of the quote, which I'm guessing you would have answered with 'yes'. Cynically enough, I also often think so because I think they have been proven so incompetent that if they actually do anything they will almost certainly do more harm than good. However, as noted there does seem to be widespread and growing dissatisfaction over nothing getting done, and that dissatisfaction could possibly boil over in the event of some extreme stress.

13. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

The shift in the Senate means, among other things, that the President will (probably) no longer be able to appoint who he wants to Cabinet positions and federal court benches. I think the majority party also takes control of the various committees and subcommittees, whatever that may mean.

14. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Sad to say, but in the short term, I think it might be good news. They'll still need to veto-proof their bills. Dems have been willing to cross the floor when it comes to voting for stuff, which means that passing bills can be done without the Reps kowtowing to their looney right wing

15. Timsup2nothin

Their looney right wing successfully kept the House from passing bills the Senate wouldn't kill. Do you really think this change in the Senate has inclined them in a different direction?

16. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

I would not be shocked if Republicans actually semi-seriously try for impeachment.

17. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

It means nothing, since the US government is controlled more by the sprawling morass that is the executive bureaucracy than by the Congress. The president will find a readier target to blame lack of progress on, and the population's contempt for The Government, shaped the right way, will translate into contempt for Congress and make 2016 a bit more interesting. Who will they blame more for the crises of the moment, the lame duck or the flock of hens squabbling under the dome of the Capitol?

18. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Stop Obama obviously.
    Nothing else will happen until the economy crashes again.

Other than extending the Bush Tax cuts,
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-signs-bill-to-extend-bush-tax-cuts/
    what have Obama and the GOP ever compromised on?

In theory compromise is possible.
    The Democrats best bet is Mitch McConnell, who never passes up an opportunity to sell out Conservatives when he can get a few billion $$$ for his state.
    (If you are already reaching for your wallet, it is Kentucky)

Here he is pre-emptively surrendering some bargaining positions.
    http://time.com/3558263/mitch-mcconnell-shutdown-obamacare-majority-leader/

If Obama ever decides to speak with Congress again, he'll find someone willing and ready to be purchased to get Amnesty and other deals done.

I'm not buying the hardball talk.
    http://www.nationaljournal.com/wash...tions-could-battle-for-soul-of-party-20141029

I would actually respect McConnell if he was telling his major donors the truth here.

19. Timsup2nothin

An illustration of the corner the Republicans have painted themselves into. If they actually accomplish anything they will lose their current faithful who demand no compromise. But if they maintain the deadlock they have perpetrated it will be more clear than ever that doing nothing is the extent of their vision, which doesn't appeal to a majority. So their only way to try to appeal to a majority is to risk losing their faithful.

20. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Accurate. :goodjob:

Honestly, their only slam dunk is getting Keystone approved for delicious Canadian oil.
    I don't care how much Dems claim to love science/the environment, this one is a no brainer.