1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Republican controlled senate means...?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Timsup2nothin, Nov 5, 2014.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

A republican controlled senate will put liberal elitists in their rightful place.

2. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I don't think it's just Keystone and Japan. I'd hazard a guess that the TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership) and its Atlantic cousin TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership) will be pushed through on the American side.

I'd expect them to take another whack at a SOPA/PIPA kinda thing too.

3. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Yep. I agree. LNG and all.

One of the biggest losers here is Puerto Rico. They lost their biggest supporter in Eric Cantor and that could devastate their capability to service debts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Impeach Obama
    Impeach Bidden
    Then repeal Obamacare

5. bhsup

bhsup Deity

I wasn't trying to question the merits of the remark itself. I was just pointing out that the Democratic opponent in Iowa made a VERY similar remark that didn't go over well, possibly being a factor in his defeat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/21/us/politics/iowa-senate-election.html

Not smart to say something that could be interpreted as an insult to farmers when running in Iowa.

6. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

It means the next two years will be spent trying to repeal the ACA and impeach/sue the President for... eh, they'll think of something eventually.

More so than the past two years.

7. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

I dunno, SOPA/PIPA wasn't really a partisan thing, there was a definite split here. PIPA was introduced by Pat Leahy.

Also re:impeachment I would be surprised if I tried. A lot of Republican leadership was around when they tried it on Clinton and it blew up horribly in their faces and realize it's a bad idea.

8. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I'm sure we all appreciate the cryptic menace, but Halloween was, like, a week ago.

9. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Can Keystone happen without some eminent domain takeovers? Or has that already been settled?

10. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Hopefully the new legislators can ban the horrific murdering of unborn children.

11. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

The problem with that analysis is Harry Reid, who does not need a mask. He has been very effective at not allowing open deliberation in the Senate. Everything stays in committee and usually dies there. He's sort of a one man Party of No. The other side of the coin is that the Republicans want to do the same to Democrats. Now they will have to work up genuine proposals, not simplistic ideas for sound bites.

Keystone is one clear example. It will be fast tracked, but that is just the beginning. Petro-energy is a party meme--keeps the money at home, brings in more revenue, provides jobs in red states. There will be a lot more once HR is not sitting on every idea.

Also look for a direct confrontation with the White House over border security and illegal residents. This may be the first thing up.

It has not even been debated. See comment above about Reid.

J

12. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

They will have to use eminent domain. And they will end up having confrontations and arrests of farmers and ranchers who refuse to allow it, and big government jackbooted thugs will force it across their lands.

And what does America get out of this? The price of gasoline will go up.

Keystone is crony capitalism. And not even much attempt to hide the fact. All the cost will be born by the American people, all the benefit will go to big companies. Most Americans will be poorer so that a few of the rich can get richer.

13. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I own shares in Alberta oilsands. We're going to get a higher price for a larger supply.

Your eminent domain issues will be the standard partisan dropping of principles. Bush could pass Medicare D, Obama could drone-strike, Reagan could run up debt, Repubs can take people's property away.

The tolerance for the thing your party is known for despising is massively higher when it's your own party doing it.

14. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

15. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I'm not convinced that the conservative leadership actually wants to stop abortion. The debate has been so profitable for them; why would they? Seems like they'd rather keep the debate going indefinitely, keep the Evangelical and right-wing Catholic votes flowing. You're a fan of Orwell, you should know how profitable the whole "eternal war" thing can be.

16. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

:cry:

17. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

In charge?

18. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Only in 1.5 branches, Ziggy!

19. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

This is a victory for pro-life an pro-marriage(as in one man one woman marriage) America. The candidates that won were more often of that bent.

20. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

So a bunch of good news. Keystone, free trade agreement with Japan, end of automotive protectionism, authorization for crude oil exports. Great news for the US, and indeed the world.