1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Republican controlled senate means...?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Timsup2nothin, Nov 5, 2014.

1. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I dunno... If I had to choose between sitting down to dinner with someone who voted for George Bush in '04 and a convicted rapist, I might have to think about it.

p.s. And how many deaths was Johnson responsible for in Vietnam? I would rate Obama as "kind of disappointing", at worst.

2. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Worst than G.W.B. eh. Right ... moving on :)

3. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Interesting point. The last House midterm was a major disaster for the President's party. The midterm before was also a loss for the President's party, but the parties were reversed. Note, the Republicans are +12 with seven districts still out, due to recount or runoff.

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/elections/2006/House.html
    http://elections.nytimes.com/2010/results/house
    http://elections.nytimes.com/2014/results/house?ref=politics

The breadth of the election is easier to see in the margins. For example, the State races. No Democrat reach 60%, but three Republicans reached 70%. Only two Democrats reached 55%, compared to seven Republicans, plus three more at 60%-70% and three more at 70%+.
    http://elections.nytimes.com/2014/r...nav&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=election-2014

Same thing for the House. Note the races won by Republicans where Democrats were expected to win, in one case win easily.
    http://elections.nytimes.com/2014/r...nav&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=election-2014

Like beating incumbents was not a big deal. The Republicans beat two blue state incumbents. Sheesh.

J

4. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Yeah, iirc, the 2010 mid-terms were a much bigger win for the Republicans than last week was.

5. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Diminishing returns. You get to a point when you just can't win many more because most of the remaining districts are lefty brainwashed. They now have the largest lead in Congress than any time since the WWII era.

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Started two wars that not only did not go well but didn't even have the potential to go well since there was nothing available to be gained in either one, and presided over setting up one of the greatest economic disasters of all time, then ended his term on a request for a trillion dollar no strings attached parting gift to be handed over to the treasury secretary to disburse however he saw fit.

That my friend is a legacy that we honestly cannot afford to ever have challenged.

7. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Do you remember the article The Onion published in January 2001? "Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over.'" I can attest to the fact that it wasn't written after the fact and back-dated. [EDIT: Actually, my earliest crystal-clear memory of the article was the Spring & Summer of 2004. So I guess it could have been written as late as that, but I've never heard that The Onion engages in that kind of shenanigans.]

8. Timsup2nothin

Even they could not foresee that trillion dollar parting gift request. That was absolutely unprecedented. Totally stunning.

9. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

North Carolina and Colorado? I'll give you Colorado as on the bluer side of purple but North Carolina is about as purple as it gets.

10. Ziggy Stardust

To be fair, he was just along for the ride on that one. Sure, he facilitated the economic disaster by deregulations, but I wouldn't call that the set-up. (We've got jobcreators to thank for that one. Thanks jobcreators!) More like keep on trucking on the path of disaster. You'd have needed a strong visionary and principled person for that one. And that type of person just doesn't have the right skills to become president, they just have the right skills to be one.

11. Timsup2nothin

From a 'legacy' standpoint the facts that it occurred in 2008 and his term ran 2000-2008 will never be separated. While you can say that people a decade or even further out 'should have seen it coming' there is no getting around the reality that the Bush administration was not a bug just continuing to fly aimlessly over a stretch of blacktop, they could have looked down and seen the fast moving hood of the car, so they will be rightfully blamed for hitting the windshield.

12. Ziggy Stardust

I know. I just wouldn't call it the set-up.

It's just a nit. And I picked it. Because that's what I do. I pick nits. I'm sure there's a term for someone like me.

13. Timsup2nothin

Errrr...nit-picker?

:run: It's Captain Obvious!

14. onejayhawk

And? What's your point?

Beating an incumbent in a purple state is impressive. You are conceding more than that.

The Senate is not what shows the breadth of the results. Winning NC was big, but what of the the gubernatorial races in Illinois, against an incumbent. Maryland is a deep blue state. So few people gave Hogan a chance, polling was almost non existent. Or try the House. Seats in deep blue California and New York.

J

15. Timsup2nothin

Yeah! I'm in California, and my district elected a Republican. Of course he ran against another Republican. To replace a retired Republican who has been in the House for longer than I can remember. If if the Republicans are hanging their hats on that victory they need help.

But to get back to the long term effectiveness of this strategy...when there is a presidential race to draw out the moderate voters how will the Republicans fare? Will trying to force people to accept the futility of the electoral process have a backlash, or can they maintain the kind of 'fanatics only' turnout that they got in this election? And the real question, how do they play the strategy over the next two years? And how do the Democrats?

The Republicans in 2012 ran on 'it has been four years since we talked about what we represent, and we are going to try not to remind you', but the similarities between Bush and Romney were so glaringly apparent that it all came back too clearly for the majority of voters. I don't really think four more years will make enough of a difference, but I freely admit that I could be wrong on that.

What seems certain is that the Republican party is taking these successes as a sign that they don't really need to move away from the extremism that got Romney annihilated at the polls, so it appears they will put up another unelectable candidate and hope for sufficient voter apathy to carry the day.

16. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

It's like the old saying goes: you can pick your friends, you can pick your nits, but you can't pick your friend's nits.

17. h4ppy

h4ppy You sir, pineapple?

Well it sort of almost happened. McCain wanted Lieberman in 2008 but had to cancel those plans because certain people threatened a walkout at the convention (and McCain didn't have much of a shot at winning anyway in hindsight.)

I don't know why you'd want an opposite party VP so much. The Vice President doesn't do much other than break ties in the senate and take over when the president dies. I mean he advises the president and can take on special projects too but so can literally anyone the president chooses. I'd rather have an opposite party Attorney General to be honest, now there is a position with real power. Even then having "independent" AGs is more important at the state level.

18. Ziggy Stardust

Isn't that how society started? :)

19. onejayhawk

I'd agree. Grooming is older than speech. It's even older than politics and prostitution.

J

20. onejayhawk

A Presidential year does not really help your case. 2012 was a competitive Presidential race through early October. In Congress next to nothing. Democrats regain 2 seats in each house.
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/elections/live_results/house/
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/elections/live_results/senate/

Look at it this way. Through three elections, Republicans are +71 in the House and +15 in the Senate. Given their hole in 2006, you can farm some of it off on recoil. That does not work for last Tuesday.

J