Republican Party..In Tatters?

Latin americans may be economically left-wing, but they are very socially conservative. In most countries in LA abortion is not an issue because everyone opposes it. Gay marriage? Forget about it.

If anything, the influx of latinos may push the republicans further down the wrong direction, that of big spending and social conservatism.

i agree with this fellow. My fellow Catholics aren't exactly the most open-minded of people..:mischief:

Another consideration about latinos: they made up 8% of the american electorate in 2004 and... 8% of the electorate in 2008. Of course there is tendency of growth, but there is no reason to expect that it will mirror the growth of that demographic among the general american population.

Another consideration about latinos: they made up 8% of the american electorate in 2004 and... 8% of the electorate in 2008. Of course there is tendency of growth, but there is no reason to expect that it will mirror the growth of that demographic among the general american population.

But they make up a larger market share in important states, like Florida, Colorado and Nevada. Since 2004, Hispanics have overtaken Blacks as the largest American minority group. We have heavy immigration (legal and otherwise) from latin countries, and I believe the latino population also has a higher birthrate.

But they make up a larger market share in important states, like Florida, Colorado and Nevada. Since 2004, Hispanics have overtaken Blacks as the largest American minority group. We have heavy immigration (legal and otherwise) from latin countries, and I believe the latino population also has a higher birthrate.

Yes, but my point is precisely that the growth of the latino electorate may not be as fast or big as the growth of the latino population. Some demographics are over represented as voters, others are under represented.

Of course, if you look really further down the line, latino vote will grow alot. But it is not certain that it will be any bigger in 2012 than it was in 2008.

What do you guys think will happen to the Republican Party now, I hope this ''reforming'' pays off.
Why should anything special happen?? This is the same thing that happened in 1992. The Democrats took the presidency and both houses of Congress (after a war in Iraq, coincidentally). Then the Democrats gradually lost everything, then they got it back again. A few years from now they'll lose it again.

Yes, but my point is precisely that the growth of the latino electorate may not be as fast or big as the growth of the latino population. Some demographics are over represented as voters, others are under represented.

Of course, if you look really further down the line, latino vote will grow alot. But it is not certain that it will be any bigger in 2012 than it was in 2008.

Ah yeah, you're right. I misread what you said.

The Latino vote turned very sharply against the Republicans this election. Even though McCain himself was reasonable and moderate on the immigration issue and 1-2 years ago was supporting an immigration possition that many Latinos accepted.

Who is this Jindal fellow?

he is the governor of Louisiana who many believe will be the leader of the republicans

Jindal is about as conservative as it gets.

He is a little bit more opposed to abortion that Palin. She opposed abortion even in cases of rape or incest but supports abortion when it is deemed necessary to save the mother's life. He opposes all procedures intended to abort a child even when the mother's life is in danger; however, he does support procedures not intended to kill the child being used to save the mother's life even when the chance of the child dieing is rather high, so the difference is slight. He strongly opposed the Supreme Courts decision ruling that his state's use of the death penalty against repeated child rapists was unconstitutional, and after it passed immediately pushed for legislation requiring mandatory castration for repeated sex offenders.

He is the youngest, the first Indian American, and the second Asian governor in the US. He is the son of Punjabi immigrants, but converted to Christianity as a teen. He later joined the Catholic Church, attending a catholic charismatic church regularly. There was some controversy about an essay he wrote at Oxford (he was a Rhodes Scholar) in which he described his part in a exorcism.

He is however very intelligent and quite competent. He brought Louisiana's Medicaid program from a $400 million deficit to a $220 surplus in about a year. He was the youngest president of the Louisiana University System. He was the third ranking official in the department of health and human services, and later a congressman. He was highly critical of the handling of Katrina relief, and has worked to improve the system greatly. He has gotten rid of a lot of corruption already, although he has been in office for less that a year.

His style has been criticized for being too "wonkish;" he has a very good memory and a great handle on the details of most matters he speaks about, but his speeches often seem like recitations of facts and figures. I guess his style is sort of the opposite of Palin's.

So that's going to help him win back blue states... how?

Sounds dangerous....

You should avoid threads like these.

These same threads were made about the Democrats in 2004 until some big bumhole had to go and resurrect them to prove people wrong who made pompous (and wrong) predictions.

I'll take the bait. Republicans will be out of power for a generation. Dems will hold both houses of congress for the next 20 yrs and the Presidency for 16. I say this for several reasons. 1) The return of competent government will be a stark contrast. Bush bracketed by Clinton and Obama will not be something people will forget. 2) The "cultural" issues are fading with the death of the older generation. How many under 30s are going to be moved by gay marriage. Those issues move maybe 30% of the population--don;t tell me about the gay marriage votes going down, I know but the times they are a changing and you will note it didn;t get people to vote Republican anyway. 3) Demographics, The Republicans are purely a white party. They win no other demographic group. Things will only get worse for them.
4) The Republican view of the election is that they weren't conservative enough:lol:. 65% still love Palin even after her performance. Good luck with that. 5) They have no legitimate philosophy and the lie is revealed. Smaller government,right on. That would be cutting SS, medicare and defense spending not a panatarium film projector. People love the idea of the Reagan revolution. Well it never happened, THere was the New Deal and it is still here. It is also about to get bigger and you know what, people will like it.

At some point things will swing back but I predict it will be quite awhile.

Hopefully this doesn;t get bumped in 2 yrs:p.

They need to decide what direction to go. Do they become a party of fundi Jeebus freaks with people like Palin or Huckabee at the head? Or do they try to become more Reganesque again?

It's a rock and a hard place ... voodoo economics, deregulation, and deficit spending or Jeebus ... idunno which pillar of the Republican party is more despised right now. The fact is that they haven't got a leg to stand on anymore ... they'll have to move back to the centre, back to where they were before Reagan. If Obama is the new FDR, what the Republicans need now is an Ike.

The only hope for republicans is to realize that they need to be more centrist than before. this is really important with Gen Y (or whatever people born in the 90's are called) since they are increasingly liberal minded and only with about 20% being old enough to vote this year one can only imagine what the demographics are going to be like in 4 years.

Edit: Basically what mark said in #2

3) Demographics, The Republicans are purely a white party. They win no other demographic group. Things will only get worse for them.

false, the silliest thing i have ever heard

He is a little bit more opposed to abortion that Palin. She opposed abortion even in cases of rape or incest but supports abortion when it is deemed necessary to save the mother's life. He opposes all procedures intended to abort a child even when the mother's life is in danger; however, he does support procedures not intended to kill the child being used to save the mother's life even when the chance of the child dieing is rather high, so the difference is slight. He strongly opposed the Supreme Courts decision ruling that his state's use of the death penalty against repeated child rapists was unconstitutional, and after it passed immediately pushed for legislation requiring mandatory castration for repeated sex offenders.

Link That's just to ridicoulas.

Top Bottom