1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Republican Party..In Tatters?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aleenik, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Okay so token minority vs. minority as President. That's not going to win votes any more than Palin won women. It's not merely being a minority that matters; it's appealing to them as well.

2. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

3. I'm Cleo!

I'm Cleo! Deity

Since we use a secret ballot here in America, how is it going to come out if not through exit polling?

Cleo

4. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

Ironically, this may be why the gay marriage vote went the way it did in California... all the Latino and black democrats coming out to vote.

5. dwaxe

dwaxe is not a fanatic

When exit polls show a 2:1 margin, it usually means that the 2 won that group...

6. JohnRM

JohnRM Don't make me destroy you

The Republican Party was supposed to be the party of fiscal conservatism, small government, and at least to a certain degree, individual liberty. Unfortunately, the only thing that changed throughout the Republican Party's control of government is that spending increased, government got dramatically larger, and our liberties were significantly curtailed.

The only good thing that came out of the Republican government was the expiration of the Assault Weapons Ban and, at least, some tax cuts. But, the American people don't just want tax cuts. They want spending cuts, first. They want the government to be more efficient and responsible with what they do spend.

So, in short, the government failed ever segment of the party. Perhaps the only people in the Republican Party that are pleased are those currently (and of course the Republicans soon to be out of office who will surely be) employed by the nation's most powerful corporations, such as those that profited from the Iraq and Afghan Wars, years of lax policy regarding the financial markets, and now the massive corporate welfare to save these companies from having to suffer their own mistakes. The Republican Party is seen to be the party of corporate America, nothing more.

Of course now they have to figure out how to rebuild, but they've confronted the same question they always do. "How do we reinvigorate our base?" Well, who is the base of the party? Most recently, it has been determined that it is the so-called "religious right". But, unfortunately, the Religious Right is a group of people with the mentality of our way or the high-way. They are an uncompromising group with zero tolerance. If they don't get what they want from their Republican candidates, they don't get out and vote. Unfortunately, if they do get what they want then independents, libertarians, and some moderates within the party become disenfranchised and look for other options come election day.

What can they do? Well, they ought to take a bold new direction and leave the Religious Right behind. The reality is that independents, libertarians, and moderates are increasing in size, in proportion to the national population while the religious right's numbers seem to be in terminal decline. What is certain is that their influence is in decline, unless of course you're talking about their tendency to influence other voters away from the Republican ticket. The party needs to stop courting the religious right, or any particular segment of its "base", and honestly build a big-tent party. Allow parties within the party to develop and have their say, but give no preference to any of them.

Or the party can wither away as hardcore social conservatism goes the way of the Dodo.

7. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

Bingo. That's what cost them my support.

-- Ravensfire

8. sonorakitch

sonorakitch Overseas hunter

Ohhhh....but you just knew it would!!!

Major necro here....makes for good reading.

Some people surprisingly had it close to right....others...well...

Happy voting America! *Mailed out my absentee from Cairo and can't wait to see the news reports here*

9. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Yeah, never underestimate the power of the Democrats to shoot their own knees off :rolleyes:

10. Murky

Murky Deity

I have seen a number Republican candidates literally running away from the media. I guess that they want to ensure an ignorant electorate.

11. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Interesting article but I ain't gonna hold by breath until the final tally.

12. Terrapin

Terrapin Prince

Why would Republicans want to sell insurance to ignorant people? And what does that have to do with not wanting to talk with media mandarins who are little more than copy editors for their opposition?

Oh, wait, ensure an ignorant electorate. Looks like they are succeeding, then.

13. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

CNN is predicting it won't be a Republican majority in the Senate without major luck in 7 states. I'd predict they only get the House.

14. Murky

Murky Deity

Corrected my grammar error thanks.

You mean why would they want to reveal to the public that they hypocritical liars who prey upon the lower classes?

15. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Looks like I got it wrong. The GOP is going to be in good shape so far as numbers and future Senate opportunities (with 2012 and 2014 being the years that the 2006 and 2008 Dem gains in the senate will be tested). They will have a majority in the House. Now it is a matter of how they govern and if the Tea Party types will be around in 2 years. 1994 was a bad night for Dems, but Clinton seemed to survive ok.

Overreaching on impeachment in the years that followed gave the GOP only fairly narrow control in 2000 that broadened a bit in 2002 and 2004 thanks to disasters and wars, but I think we saw how hollow Bush's "mandate" claim on the day after the 2004 election really was (unless Jeff Gannon counts as the mandate).

The GOP had better hope that someone other than Sarah Palin gets the nomination in 2012. Her backing of the dabbler in witchcraft cost the GOP a pick-up in DE and her backing of Miller has actually given the Dem a slim chance in AK.

My predictions for 2012 - GOP regains the Senate, Obama wins small against a non-Palin or big against Palin, the House doesn't change all that many seats as the GOP is picking back up a lot of seats that got swept away in 2006-2008 and may not have all that much upside.

16. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Leave it to me and Mobboss to never overestimate the Democrats.

17. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Hey, I successfully avoided making a wrong prediction! I shall celebrate by not making one this year as well :D

18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I still think the republicans are in serious trouble. At least in my state. With immigration the way it is and mexicans voting like 99% democrat, I really can't see how the republicans can win another presidential election. And I see no way Harry Reid will ever lose in my state.

Even with 14% unemployment and 15% unemployment in Las Vegas he completely demolishes the republican opponent.

Unless the republican party finds a way to get the Mexican and/or black vote, they are finished. I predict they will go the way of the Whig party in 20 or so years. You can't have a party that is primarily white. With demographics the way they are I just can't see the Republican party lasting much longer.

19. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

People tend to vote along Social-economic lines. I'm Asian. My grandparent would most likely vote democratic(if they could vote here), my parents are split, but both the kids(including me) lean republican.

If blacks and Latinos start to get more affluent in 20 years or so, you'll start to see them lean the other way.

20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

It's unlikely they will build wealth. Yes I am biased in my views. But I believe government aid creates dependency. They never really learn to be independent and build their own wealth.

In either case, regardless of political views, I think many people will agree our economy is in very, very bad shape. Some people predict the jobs lost are gone forever. Our manufacturing is on it's last legs. America doesn't actually "produce" anything anymore other than entertainment. I can't see our economy ever recovering and I see only bad days ahead for the U.S. economy. Building wealth in the future will be difficult.