Republican spokesman: Let's hurl some acid at female Democratic Senators

useless

Social Justice Rogue
"There is no GOP war on women."-GOP
" Let's hurl some acid at those female democratic Senators who won't abide the mandates they want to impose on the private sector."-Jay Townsend, spokesman for Rep. Hayworth (R-NY).

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/republican-spokesman-lets-hurl-acid-female-democratic-senators/story?id=16471627#.T8mQFtX-92C

Jay Townsend, a campaign spokesman for Republican Rep. Nan Hayworth (NY-19) has ignited a controversy after he said, "Let's hurl some acid" at female Democratic senators.

Townsend's comments (which have since been removed) were posted Thursday on a local Facebook discussion forum for New York's 19 th congressional district. Townsend was responding to comments made by a commenter named "Tom" during an online debate over gas prices. Townsend wrote:

"Listen to Tom. What a little bee he has in his bonnet. Buzz Buzz. My question today … when is Tommy boy going to weigh in on all the Lilly Ledbetter hypocrites who claim to be fighting the War on Women? Let's hurl some acid at those female democratic Senators who won't abide the mandates they want to impose on the private sector."

Welp! To give some context, the discussion had simply been about gas prices up to that point. So out of nowhere this guy decides to somewhat switch topic and latch onto women Senators as a problem specifically and that a possible solution would be the type of attack famous for its use by the bloody taliban. Jesus, what is wrong with this guy?

This guy is living proof that the GOP are in fact, through various means, conducting a war on women be it through legal routes (such as restricting their ability to choose how they deal with their bodies) or through social views like this crap. Disgusting.

That's... reaching. At best.

I mean, sure, there's legitimate reasons to claim Republicans are not supporters of women's rights. Particularly when it comes to reproductive issues. I get that. But this is just stupid.

You do a disservice to real issues when you bring crap like this up. This is nothing. A couple of no-names nobody's heard of sniping at each other. Who cares?

This guy is living proof that the GOP are in fact, through various means, conducting a war on women be it through legal routes (such as restricting their ability to choose how they deal with their bodies) or through social views like this crap. Disgusting.

I agree. A woman having sex and then falling pregnant, that is such a shock. I never knew a female body would ever have that happen to them. :eek:

I get the impression he is ridiculing the assertion that there is a "war on woman" in America by contrasting it to the frequent acid attacks which happen in Afghanistan and Pakistan where woman are genuinely 2nd class citizens. He is saying "well you want a real war on woman?! well i'll get my most corrosive acid and throw it on your face!".

I get the impression he is ridiculing the assertion that there is a "war on woman" in America by contrasting it to the frequent acid attacks which happen in Afghanistan and Pakistan where woman are genuinely 2nd class citizens. He is saying "well you want a real war on woman?! well i'll get my most corrosive acid and throw it on your face!".

Nicely spotted :goodjob: (foolish of him however to rely on the critical thinking skills of the electorate when making this analogy)

No, judging from what I saw in the opening post, Townsend really was calling for the murder/disfigurement of members of the opposing party.

All I have to say is this: the hurling of acid is a act of violence of the most aggressive and the least civilized..

No he's not. He's just a huge dick.

I agree. A woman having sex and then falling pregnant, that is such a shock. I never knew a female body would ever have that happen to them. :eek:

Congratulations! You've reached a new low.

This is, by far and away*, the worst useless thread I've seen, ever.

Congratulations, and keep up the good work! :clap:

* Not actually by far and away, they all compare pretty comparably. The phrase is just used for dramatic effect.

Dreadnought, you know that the dramatic effects of your posts are ruined anyway because your avatar makes me read all of them in Zapp Brannigan's voice? :D

Anyway, in my opinion the first part of his post is more repulsive to me. Someone challenges his position and his reply is basically to just call that person a stupid doodoo head? Really? I thought the job of politicians was to explain their positions, not insult everyone who disagrees with it.

But I agree that using this as another episode in the war on women debate is stretching.

The issue in the OP has been and will be debated to death here, so I'm going to set it aside for a moment and call your attention to a far more... useful :)mischief:) initiative. That is, I'm starting a petition to ban the use of the vomit smiley in thread titles unless your name is Useless, and to require them if your name is Useless.

So who's with me?

(Srsly, vomit smiley? For this?)

I wouldn't say living proof, more so indicative of a prevailing attitude in the GOP at the very best. Undoubtedly they'll spin this as metaphorical acid.

But yes, this throwing acid in women's faces is making me reconsider the phrase "American Taliban"

Conservative says something dumb. Shocker.
I can already hear the excuses now. He's not a real Republican or a conservative.

While I agree this is essentially nothing compared to the all-too-frequent wars on women being waged by the GOP, it is still another nail in the coffin that it doesn't even exist.

Here's MoveOn.org's Top 10 list:

Top 10 Shocking Attacks from the GOP's War on Women

1) Republicans not only want to reduce women's access to abortion care, they're actually trying to redefine rape. After a major backlash, they promised to stop. But they haven't yet. Shocker.

2) A state legislator in Georgia wants to change the legal term for victims of rape, stalking, and domestic violence to "accuser." But victims of other less gendered crimes, like burglary, would remain "victims."

3) In South Dakota, Republicans proposed a bill that could make it legal to murder a doctor who provides abortion care. (Yep, for real.)

4) Republicans want to cut nearly a billion dollars of food and other aid to low-income pregnant women, mothers, babies, and kids.

5) In Congress, Republicans have a bill that would let hospitals allow a woman to die rather than perform an abortion necessary to save her life.

6) Maryland Republicans ended all county money for a low-income kids' preschool program. Why? No need, they said. Women should really be home with the kids, not out working.

7) And at the federal level, Republicans want to cut that same program, Head Start, by $1 billion. That means over 200,000 kids could lose their spots in preschool.

8) Two-thirds of the elderly poor are women, and Republicans are taking aim at them too. A spending bill would cut funding for employment services, meals, and housing for senior citizens.

9) Congress just voted for a Republican amendment to cut all federal funding from Planned Parenthood health centers, one of the most trusted providers of basic health care and family planning in our country.

10) And if that wasn't enough, Republicans are pushing to eliminate all funds for the only federal family planning program. (For humans. But Republican Dan Burton has a bill to provide contraception for wild horses. You can't make this stuff up).

Top Bottom