Republican Vote Challengers Banned, then Reinstated

nihilistic

Intergalatic Delivery Boy
nihilistic said:

Noooo :( I can only hope this furthers the resolve of the challenged voter -- be him or her Democrat or Republican. Democrats at least aren't challenging voters. The entire practice is a shame.

Its pretty sickening that these judges are so partisan they want people turned away so their candidate will win. Fraudulent votes can be sorted out and discarded after the fact I believe, since there will inevitably be a recount. This is nothing more than intimidation, and if I find someone doing this when I go to vote, I'm going to curse them out.

rmsharpe said:
Good! If we've got people registering as Jesus Christ and Josef Stalin, why shouldn't they be challenged if they are suspected of not being an legal voter?

Because the same identification they're going to check you on you have to supply anyway. You know full well this is ideally going to suppress turn out, thus an advantage for Bush. Why else do you think almost all of the challengers are in northern Ohio?

Challengers may select any voter before he or she votes if they have “good cause” to question the voter’s eligibility. Eligibility means:

· U.S. Citizenship

· Ohio residency

· County or precinct residency

That's all found on an Ohio driver's license/ state ID. The residency can be checked by the address against the list for the polling place.

If the national result is determined by FL (which I anticipate) and if that goes to Bush... I'm gonna spread a thick layer of conspiracy theories :p

rmsharpe said:
Good! If we've got people registering as Jesus Christ and Josef Stalin, why shouldn't they be challenged if they are suspected of not being an legal voter?

If they actually cared about fairness they could easily opt to challenge the ballot after the voting booths close. The only reason one would opt to challenge voters while they vote is to lengthen the wait time and discourage potential voters.

Moderator Action: Warned for flaming. Eyrei.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

nihilistic said:
You know what? If they actually cared about fairness they could easily opt to challenge the ballot after the voting booths close. The only reason one would opt to challenge voters while they vote is to lengthen the wait time and discourage potential voters in strong Democrat counties.

Fixed. 789

Bamspeedy said:
How do you figure that? Your name isn't on the ballot. So, nobody would know who Mary Poppins voted for. http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/10/18/mary.poppins.registers.to.vote/

Yes, but you're name is taken down when you vote. I had to sign in, and the checked me off.

Fraud isn't committed by an individual voter. Come on. Even if you vote twice, hell, three times, you're not going to change the election. If these challengers caught 100 people, I'd be surprised.

You know damn well if Democrats were doing this in Flordia -- targeting Cuban voters -- there'd be outrage in the Republican base.

Challengers may select any voter before he or she votes if they have “good cause” to question the voter’s eligibility. Eligibility means:

· U.S. Citizenship

· Ohio residency

· County or precinct residency

Isn't this all checked by the poll workers anyway, when you present identification?

augurey said:
Fraud isn't committed by an individual voter. Come on. Even if you vote twice, hell, three times, you're not going to change the election. If these challengers caught 100 people, I'd be surprised.

Oh, so let's just let Jesus Christ vote, since one vote won't matter.......why not let him vote 3000 times just for the hell of it.

Yes, but you're name is taken down when you vote. I had to sign in, and the checked me off.

Let me guess, I THINK this fraudulent voter voted for Bush, and I THINK this one voted for Kerry. Does that method make sense to you? Wouldn't it be better to stop the bogus voter before he votes, so there is no guessing games?

eyrei said:
Isn't this all checked by the poll workers anyway, when you present identification?

Everything but US Citizenship -- you don't need to be a US citizen to hold a drivers license here. It was checked when I presented identification today. However, if a non-Citizen were to vote, they'd be caught on recounts and the like. They'd go to jail.

The law was passed to try and keep non-Citizens from voting. But it's being used in the inner city. Sorry, but inner city Columbus and Cleveland are both predominantly citizen. There's no immigrant district in either.

Bamspeedy said:
Oh, so let's just let Jesus Christ vote, since one vote won't matter.......why not let him vote 3000 times just for the hell of it.

Let me guess, I THINK this fraudulent voter voted for Bush, and I THINK this one voted for Kerry. Does that method make sense to you? Wouldn't it be better to stop the bogus voter before he votes, so there is no guessing games?

And this is the job of the poll workers, not hordes of partisan intimidators. Don't you think a poll worker is going to be a little suspicious when someone comes in with an ID with the name Jesus Christ on it?

Regardless, Jesus is voting several million times for Bush anyway. :p

augurey said:
Everything but US Citizenship -- you don't need to be a US citizen to hold a drivers license here. It was checked when I presented identification today. However, if a non-Citizen were to vote, they'd be caught on recounts and the like. They'd go to jail.

The law was passed to try and keep non-Citizens from voting. But it's being used in the inner city. Sorry, but inner city Columbus and Cleveland are both predominantly citizen. There's no immigrant district in either.

Don't you need to be a citizen to register?

Bamspeedy said:

Yes, it would. But not how it is being applied. How it's being applied right now is in Democrat areas and Democrat areas alone. I'm all in favor of better system -- just not this. If something like this were to happen to Cubans in Florida, I'd be just as opposed. Even though it's more likely they wouldn't be citizens.

If you want to win an election by discouraging votes, then there's nothing I can say to you, thus, consider this discussion over.

eyrei said:
Don't you need to be a citizen to register?

Yes. The question is, could a non-Citizen register? Yes, but it'd be illegal, and 99% of the time would be caught.

The irony is that Democrats DO have vote challengers, in places like Florida, the only difference is that Republicans aren't as concerned about them because they didn't sign up nearly as many "Micky Mouses" and "Andrew Wiggins." All these people do is discourage dishonest voters, since honest voters will have absolutely no problem answering any challenge. And since such challengers can't delay people from voting (but rather only address those people already waiting) it wont increase lines. And as has been pointed out, if a Marry Poppins does vote then it is technically impossible to know who they voted for, hence it can't be adjusted.

And while a person does have to show a valid ID to vote, that doesn't mean that ID is actually checked: in my own experience they just look to see that I have it, they don't examine it close enough to see if it is accurate.

At the worst, it will have absolutely no effect on the Election. At the best, it will help prevent voter fraud. If that helps get Bush elected, then the Democratic party needs to do some introspection.

How it's being applied right now is in Democrat areas and Democrat areas alone.

You think maybe the reason democrats don't do this is because maybe the Republicans aren't as guilty in voter fraud?

Edit: crossposted with Hugin

Top Bottom