Reputation Problems

maddman75

Chieftain
I'm moving up the difficulty ladder, doing my first Regent game. I thought to take the easiest route first, warmongering. So I played as the Japanese. Religious and Militaristic, with the Samurai UU, they practically beg for warmongering.

The game started with violence. I had two cities, my capital destined for a troop factory, with a settler pump building its grainary and a third worker pump in the plans. One of my explorers meets with Persia, who within a few turns try to extort a tech from me. Not this game :).

I switch production to archers and spearmen, and proceed to take out most of Persia. Later in the game after things had filled out a bit they had the temerity to try to extort me again. I had a dozen cities with a pop between 3 and 6, they had a 4, a 2, and about four size 1s. This time I let them have it, rolling my horsement over them and totally wiping them out.

Things fill in a bit more, but I can't trade. Neither India nor Zululand will build connecting roads. Most I can do its trade techs. When I get Samurai I continue my wars of conquest and absorb zululand as well. There's a brief war with me against China and India, but it was one of those industial age wars that feel like WW1, tons of units thrown at defensive positions with almost no change in territory. They made peace eventually.

I'm first on the histogram and have plenty of territory to keep that lead. So I switch up to democracy. Now I keep getting trouble out of the aztecs, on another continent. After the first unprovoked war I positioned a naval unit - carrier, battleship, 3 destroyers, transport of cav, transport of artillery and infantry. Next time they declared within one turn I was bombing and shelling one of their cities, hoping to starve them down by shelling all the irrigation around it.

Anyway, I've been treated like a rogue state throughout the game. Bascially no one had connecting roads to me for a long time, then everyone was so mad at me they'd form embargos. Is there some way around this? Does wiping out a civ affect your reputation so? I looked in the War Academy but didn't see anything on reputation specifically.

Thanks!

This is a useful article--it provides a very detailed list of everything you can do that influences AI attitude:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3acad_ai_attitude.shtml

I'm not sure if the problems you're having are necessarily the result of a bad reputation. Have you done anything that really has a negative impact on AI attitude, like sneak attacking, breaking ROPs, breaking treaties, or razing cities? If you haven't, then the lack of connecting roads probably isn't the result of anything you've done, and you're seeing the AI doing a poor job of building infrastructure at the lower difficulty levels. Can you try building roads yourself and seeing if they'll trade with you then? The trade embargos could be a case of the AI ganging up on the most powerful civ. Hope that helps.

maddman75 said:
I'm moving up the difficulty ladder, doing my first Regent game. I thought to take the easiest route first, warmongering. So I played as the Japanese. Religious and Militaristic, with the Samurai UU, they practically beg for warmongering.

The game started with violence. I had two cities, my capital destined for a troop factory, with a settler pump building its grainary and a third worker pump in the plans. One of my explorers meets with Persia, who within a few turns try to extort a tech from me. Not this game :).

I switch production to archers and spearmen, and proceed to take out most of Persia. Later in the game after things had filled out a bit they had the temerity to try to extort me again. I had a dozen cities with a pop between 3 and 6, they had a 4, a 2, and about four size 1s. This time I let them have it, rolling my horsement over them and totally wiping them out.

Things fill in a bit more, but I can't trade. Neither India nor Zululand will build connecting roads. Most I can do its trade techs. When I get Samurai I continue my wars of conquest and absorb zululand as well. There's a brief war with me against China and India, but it was one of those industial age wars that feel like WW1, tons of units thrown at defensive positions with almost no change in territory. They made peace eventually.

I'm first on the histogram and have plenty of territory to keep that lead. So I switch up to democracy. Now I keep getting trouble out of the aztecs, on another continent. After the first unprovoked war I positioned a naval unit - carrier, battleship, 3 destroyers, transport of cav, transport of artillery and infantry. Next time they declared within one turn I was bombing and shelling one of their cities, hoping to starve them down by shelling all the irrigation around it.

Anyway, I've been treated like a rogue state throughout the game. Bascially no one had connecting roads to me for a long time, then everyone was so mad at me they'd form embargos. Is there some way around this? Does wiping out a civ affect your reputation so? I looked in the War Academy but didn't see anything on reputation specifically.

Thanks!

I can never get the AI to connect roads to mine. I can't trade until I get sea routes. Harbors are a great way to do this.

As I recall, I'd taken several size 1 cities from the Persians. They are automatically destroyed. I guess that counts as razing?

maddman75 said:
As I recall, I'd taken several size 1 cities from the Persians. They are automatically destroyed. I guess that counts as razing?
Yes it does. Dealing with these size 1 cities and keeping your rep in tact is an interesting challenge.

Razing those size 1's has nothing to do with rep. Attitude, yes. Rep, no.

It's frustrating when those far off civs won't build harbors, and it takes a while to get trades with them. Of course, one could go and take them...

Make sure you don't break any trade deals. This can be tough when you're relying on a civ for your trade route. Make sure you don't declare war while inside the AI's borders. This will be seen as a sneak attack, and that will damage your rep. There are others, but I'm tired :( and can't remember the rest....

You get rep hits from:

- attacking a civ while on the their land with an RoP. this includes ships.
- breaking a trade deal either by having a road pillage through someone elses land or pillaging a road on your land or selling off a harbor/airport or being unable to pay while not in revolution.
- settling for peace while a military alliance is in effect.
- declaring war before 20 turn peace agreement ends, this includes MPPs.

~~~~~~~~
Attitude changes come from a variety of things such as not playing tribute or not trading while having extra luxaries/resources or going to war with that civ.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The key is not have other civs like you but to have them hate each other more... Do this by "buying" military alliances. Especially buying an alliance with a civ that just made peace with a third civ. This breaks their 20 turn peace agreement. Or buy an alliance with a civ that cancels all their trade agreements.... etc

Top Bottom