Reputation questions

I. Larkin

Deity
I have question about reputation. It is very inportant at the beginig of the game since permits to get credits from AIs. Without it Scinece trade is very difficult. My story is Germany (me, Deity) share small island with Russians. We make peace, trading Tech, normal development. They build Smolensk near my Berlin, so what, we still in peace. Later on they go to my land with warior and Setler and demand tribute. I decline, kill warior, get two workers, then capture Smolensk. Make peace with demand of all their gold and big gpt from them, giving all my tech I gain from other AIs, they sell it to me for gpt, like no reputation hit. My economy goes up, Russian was close to bankruptcy. 20 turns after they offer to renew peace, I demand Kiev, giving them all my Tech + 5 gpt. They agree. Next 20 turns after all looks normal, I got a tech lead, and was preparing to drive Russians to the sea. Other AIs respect me, and agree (I check after) to trade W Map say, for 1 gpt (or lump sum: Babs 2g, Abe 3g, Cleo 4g). Next turn, however, Cleo said "no" for 1 gpt offer for W Map "we know, you break treaty with Russians", but agree for 5 g lump sum. So looks that my reputation threshold was -4. For another hand (the same turn) Russians agree to continue peace and agree to give me Minsk for 86 gpt. So things look as Russian trust me. I decided, however, to take it by force, did not make any deal and finshed them in next 10 turns. I did non check my reputation while at war, but after that nobody give me tech for gpt. At this stage it dose not harm me too much as I had 2000 g already, but I fill some discomfort about my reputation. Later in the game when I build UN the vote was 50-50, LiZ and Abe was for me Mao and Japan was for Joan, Cleo and Chaka was at war with evrybody, so vote for nobody. So some of my reputation remais. For the best of my knowlege, the only "wrong" thing I did was that I decline to pay tribute, while having 20 turn peace treaty, it looks, that it hits my reputation but not so big.
Now my questions to experts, those who have a debugger: Is reputation is measureble quantity, like AIs attitude? If yes, how events in Diplomacy affect to this value? For UN votes, dose it value added to AIs attitude and at which proportions? Dose reputation effect to somethig else rather then gpt deal and UN vote?
Thanks,
I. Larkin.

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
You must be playing unpatched Civ3? better sinstall the patches right away!
Yes, I do. As far as I know in latest version the option of City trade was removed, that makes game less attractive. Also, I play Russian version of Civ3 and I am not sure, that next patches will be compatible.

ah, OK.......

well, tradeing is extremely buggy, as is reputation....

maybe someone destroyed a harbour or road somewhere that ended one of your trades...... they usually is it: not your fault, you do not really notice - BLAM, your rep goes to hell :(

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
ah, OK.......

well, tradeing is extremely buggy, as is reputation....

maybe someone destroyed a harbour or road somewhere that ended one of your trades...... they usually is it: not your fault, you do not really notice - BLAM, your rep goes to hell :(
I think it is not a bug, but a feature... Like in normal life you may be honest yourself, but circumstances turns badly and others hate you.
What I want to know is reputation may be say "good", "normal", "bad" and "very bad", and how it can be measured. In my example I could take Minsk for 86 gpt and declare war next turn, that could make my life simple. I decided to care a bit about reputation, though it was spoiled a bit. Now I am not sure are there any reason to care if it is negative anyway.

There are two different things here - "reputation" and "attitude".

Reputation affects whether the other Civs will trade you a "thing" (e.g. a tech, or in early versions of Civ a city) for gold per turn. If you have a bad reputation they won't make these trades. You get a bad reputation if you ever break a gold per turn deal, even if it is broken accidentally, such as if your roads to a luxury are broken. The other Civs never forget a bad reputation, as far as I know it can't be fixed. It sounds like in your game you now have a bad reputation for some reason.

Attitude is what is shown on the diplomacy screen. In the English version it is shown as "furious", "annoyed", "cautious", "polite", or "gracious". This is what affects whether they'll vote for you in the UN, not reputation. Attitude is affected by a lot of things. Some of them are permanent, for example razing cities. Some are temporary, for example declaring war. Bamspeedy has written a great article (click here to read it) detailing the things which affect attitude.

Top Bottom