1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Request: Add Spearmen to the early game

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Uberness, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Uberness

Uberness Warlord

I would like to see some spearmen early on around bronzeworking, instead of only at metalcasting.

Early vanilla combat went Spear beats chariot, axe beats spear/sword, chariot beats axe, meaning you could beat a large force of one unit with it's counter unit.

Right now there is very little diffience between the 4 early unit's of axe/archer/hunter/horseman, except that horseman get's 3 or 4 movement and 40% vs archers, and that archers are nearly useless full force duo to how easy it is to get 80% vs archers, and that it's near impossible to catch horseman with axeman, and giving hunters a vs mounted bonus would be almost overpowering.

I would like to see spearmen with 3 strength, 50-75% vs mounted, able to use bronze iron and 2 movement (to catch the extra fast cavalry with there 3-5 movement) and come around bronzeworking, I don't think combat should be won over who can manage the most of a single unit (remember vanilla axemen wars?)

2. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

Well, I do think the cover & charge promotions should have the same prereqs as shock.

3. Uberness

Uberness Warlord

I agree with that.

4. Quetz

Quetz The Tallest Lilliputian

i dunno about move 2, but afaik vanilla cavalry is only move 2 (at least knights are, for sure.) Maybe reducing average cavalry speed would be better idea

I would like to see spearmen in again, though.

5. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

I think the logic in FfH is that rather than than rock-paper-scissors, it's all about force deployment. That is, if you want to go a-pillaging, horsemen. If you're on the defense, archers. If you're in the mood to take territory, it's axemen. To have both this dimension and a rock-paper-scissors effect would be way too complex. I think it's handled well by anti-unit promotions. Rather than building a mixed force of axemen and spearmen, you just make axemen with different sets of promotions.

6. Gamestation

Gamestation Introducing Servo

Still would be good if cover and formation had the same prerequisites as the shock promotions.

7. Kael

Kael Deity

Good point on the Cover 2 and Formation 2 promotions. I will change them to require combat 3, just like Shock 2 does.

8. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Great! I've always thought that it was too easy to make Cover 2 units (I think I've mentioned it a couple of times in the balance thread too :p)

9. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

tho now this makes formation more difficult slightly, since you need combat2 for the first one

10. TeraHammer

TeraHammer Prince

why not get that promotion available at combat 1 too, then?

11. slowcar

slowcar King

moving formation to combat1 would solve most of this i think. in vanilla it would be imbalanced because of spears, here it would be a good replacement.