[Request] Could somebody make a detailed guide for the prehistoric era?

Ultimate_Waffle

The soul devourer.
I love this mod, but it is so overwhelming. I have read guides which have helped me understand a bit better. It's still too much, though. If somebody could please make a detailed guide/playthrough of just the prehistoric era (with pictures), it would be much appreciated. It would help to also explain your actions throughout. A guide like this should make a newbie like myself better prepared for the future eras. Thanks!

Suggestion; instead of trying to use every suggested option for this Mod use a more base set to get the feel of how it plays basically. This means don't start out with all the Rev Options or the Combat Options, or the Religion Limiting Options. Too many of the modders push their Options but many are for players that already have a good grasp of the Mod. In other words reduce the number of Option you start the game with till you have played a few games. And Don't start off on the Slowest game speed either. It warps the play for those that want to just stay in a game forever.

Rather Play a Normal (~1000 turns), Epic (2000 turns). or Marathon (3000) game to start Not Snail (5K turns) or Eon (6k) Or Eternity(8.2K turns).

And don't fret over the details just Play! You will learn more by playing than reading the pedia.

Marathon speed is quite nice. I find research a little too quick, but after many restart with snail speed, I got enough and wanted to change, and see again if marathon was nice. And it's really a nice speed.
As newbie too, I can say I restarted the game x4 or x5, replaying prehistoric so. Because it took me a lot of time to find the good settings. It's like say JosEPh : just play, then read informations here or ask questions, then return to play. restart the game when you feel you missed too many things. Then you end to feel your are playing good, learning some new features, step by step.
I readed all guide made by Thunderbrd. And also read threads about size matter, and criminality.
But what come after prehistoric is even more difficult to understand.
As I choosed the setting "start as minor faction", start of the game was epic, many action, and not a good time for hunters. I understand now why someone said on forum he didnt use hunter. I first cleared many areas before to train some. And I used hunter more during ancient age than prehistoric this time.
I razed many citys, but sometimes defense was too strong. IA conquered 2 of my citys, but I reconquest these quick after that.
I start to play good. Actualy, the game is becoming too easy at monarch difficulty (+1 rank because the flexible difficulty).
I use many of the dirty weapons availables : no-nationality units destroying others country while I'm in peace with.
Recently, I used many mercenary, and make conquests of citys. Citys become then barbarian. Then I send an official national unit, and just take the city (or raze it).
Now, I understood how to work spy too. I stole a lot of technology. While I'm rushing next eras, I don't choose some early technology, but I get these because I stole it to others civ later.
Damn, I not declared one single war, and I destroyed 2 others civ, and actualy one other (as this civ was destroyed by another civ too).
I reached 2/3 of classical age, maybe time is early, -1500 BC.

Last edited:
Recently, I used many mercenary, and make conquests of citys. Citys become then barbarian. Then I send an official national unit, and just take the city (or raze it).
Now, I understood how to work spy too. I stole a lot of technology. While I'm rushing next eras, I don't choose some early technology, but I get these because I stole it to others civ later.
Nice! I imagine that was a fun as hell revelation that you could get away with that huh?

Question on that, are you able to capture rams to help with that effort? I'm not sure if that side of it is quite working as intended yet.

Yes, the gameplay give a lot of freedom. It's amazing. It give a lot of action, even during peace.
I don't understand what is "rams" ?!

Ram units? Battering rams etc... They should be capturable by defeating them in the field and if you do so with a Hidden Nationality unit, they should become Hidden Nationality themselves so that you can take them and use them against the city you are trying to take with other HN units.

Oh ok I see.
So yes, there is no bug. I can capture some battering rams sometimes. however, I didnt understood this was "hidden nationality" ones. So I didn't really used it. I was thinking It just like captured workers. So I try to come back this unit in my citys. Generaly, this unit die before. So I don't use it. Also, it's usefull for a final strike. But main times, I use no-nationality in a nerves-harass secret war a long time. I never know when I will push for destroying citys, and I need mobility and invisibility for a very long time.
BUT what I like, it's capture civils and military workers. I didn't build workers since 2 eras !! And one time I captured 5 civils. I couldn't use it because my citys was > 7 citizens. Then I conquered a new city with 2 citizens, I quickly send the 5 prisonners, making my new city a 7 citizen one in a second !

The rams will be HN units if captured by HN units only. The bug I think is that they aren't also automatically always hostile and thus able to attack enemy cities, which I can't recall if I've fixed or not.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up starting a gigantic map with the slowest speed before I even got a reply. I'm in the ancient age now. I am confused about one thing right now. I researched Standardization. It gives me access to a building that needs a city to be at least size six. It also unlocks a national wonder. I forget what it's called.some national standardization of weights. It doesn't give me any requirements, but it doesn't show up in my city's list at all. Only thing I can think of is that I still need to research copper working, as that's another requirement of the normal building. Any ideas?

Thanks for the replies. I ended up starting a gigantic map with the slowest speed before I even got a reply. I'm in the ancient age now. I am confused about one thing right now. I researched Standardization. It gives me access to a building that needs a city to be at least size six. It also unlocks a national wonder. I forget what it's called.some national standardization of weights. It doesn't give me any requirements, but it doesn't show up in my city's list at all. Only thing I can think of is that I still need to research copper working, as that's another requirement of the normal building. Any ideas?
There are some buildings that can only be built by units. They usually have a cost of zero or -1. This is normal Civ IV behaviour.

That one can only be built by a Great Engineer.

Hi I can confirm : with a captured ram, i can't attack a city (I'm at peace with this city owner, I don't know what happens when at war).
But I can send ram ON the city. ram stay here and is not attacked.

Top Bottom