Request: Empire screenshot

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by opensilo, Mar 13, 2006.

1. opensilo

opensilo Warlord

I like to ponder the locations for my cities and plan my conquests while I don't have the game turned on. My problem is that screenshots at high enough resolution to see identify the individual tiles don't show much of my empire. I'd really like to see a button that would give me a snapshot of the entire map (or at least that part that I've discovered so for) as a jpeg image. Then, I could examine that (or share it with my friends) at my leisure.

The current workaround is to take many screenshots, but this gets unwieldy even for an isolated island very early on.

2. lutzj

lutzj The Last Thing You See

*cough* dumb idea *cough*

3. opensilo

opensilo Warlord

Wow.

It's hard to dispute your logic there....

4. Trade-peror

Trade-peror UET Economist

Everyone has a particular way of enjoying the Civ experience, and I see nothing wrong with this one.

Although I don't know how you would manage such a screenshot at this time, I'm pretty sure the SDK release or even a saavy graphics person (maybe look around in the Customization or Tech forums) could make this possible though. Good luck!

5. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Perhaps you'd like to offer a constructive one then?

Similar tools for Civ3 are very popular - I don't think its a dumb idea at all - its a very good one.

6. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Especially if you have annotation tools added. It could be useful for democracy and succession games to let people know what you were thinking.

7. lutzj

but how would you fit your entire empire on one page? the problem with your idea is the original problem, you cant fit all those cities in one sheet easily and with enough legibility!

8. Woody

Woody General

Who cares if the pic is bigger than one screen, make the pic as big as needed and then use whatever graphics/viewing program you want and scroll around.

9. lutzj

but the request is for a portable map, not something you can view on your comp

10. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Why do you say that, lutzj? He was asking for a jpeg that he could view outside of the game (he did not say outside of his computer). I assume that he has tools to deal with the jpeg once he has it (including presumably printing it).

11. opensilo

opensilo Warlord

I do mean something I can open with any image viewer or web browser. If I wanted something illegible that would fit on a 1024x768 screen, I've already got it with the satellite view.

With the present screenshot system, I am limited to about a 15x12 tile printout that has point of view distortion so I can't even paste them together. I wouldn't mind at all having the same resolution and having to pan (like I do while in the game) to see everything.

Much easier to pan than to switch images. Seems like about 100 lines of easy code in the game. Not sure how tough it will be to mod.

12. datter

datter Chieftain

I just searched the forum looking for this exact thing. Not a dumb idea at all.