Request: give us more information! Pretty please?

Chandler

Warlord
Be warned, this will be long.

I wasn't sure about creating a new thread or using the Tooltips one in the General Balance subforum. However, after realizing what I truly was asking here, I decided to go for the first option.

Firstly, one question:

Is it possible to check anywhere for the requirements of every building's and wonder's GW theme before you've built them? And, if not, why? I can understand why wouldn't you want to put them in the tooltips, as those are already long enough. But not even in its Civilopedia entry?

Spoiler :

I've no doubt these themes play a big role in the decision of building them or not, so I can't figure out why wouldn't anyone want to be able to check for that information before attempting to build them, even if some people are able to remember all of them already, out of their vast experience with this game. I personally remember some of them, but not all. I can't conceive how no one has asked for this before.

I wouldn't mind doing this myself, if I knew how. Doesn't seem too complicated, though, just gather the information wherever it is and copy-paste it in each Civilopedia entry.

Secondly, another question (this one may take more time):

Would it be possible to increase even more the visible information of the GP?

Allow me to explain what I'm suggesting. Let's take a look at a Great Writer first, shall we?

Spoiler :

Here, we can see six... hum... "action buttons" (I actually don't know how should I call them). Each one of them with its own tooltip. If the Great Writer is stationed in a city/next to one with empty slots for Great Works of Writing, every action button will be available.

Spoiler :

However, if you get away from there or move it near to a city without empty slots, the Create Great Work button won't work, and its tooltip will change.

Spoiler :

The Write Political Treatise button, though, it's still working as usual, and will do so wherever the GW is, even out of your own territory.

Spoiler :

Now, the request:

If we have every possible action always shown (even if some of them are not always available) for Great Writers, as well as Great Artists, Great Musicians and Great Admirals...

Spoiler :

Would this also be possible for the other ones?

All of them, Great Engineers, Scientists, Merchants, Diplomats, Generals and Prophets, are able to Create Great Tile Improvements, while the other four GP are not.

However, the window that allows you to know as well as do that shows up only after you move them out of the city and, by doing so, you might be already wasting that turn if you changed your mind after seeing it. So I'm asking to make those windows permanent if possible, with its appropiate tooltip, even if the option is not available, i.e., if the GP is on top of a city.

Spoiler :

Also, the yields showed in the tooltip of each GTI Creation button don't increase according to the appropiated Techs investigated, neither do they with Social Policies. Not sure about the Congress Proposal, though.

Some specific details about each one:

Great Engineer: make the button for Bulbing permanent too (showing as well in the tooltip up to how much instant production would it give, advising that it might be less depending on the building you have chosen, and how many hammers you might lose if you use it "wrong"), as it currently only shows up if the GE is on top of or next to a city, and just disappears if that's not the case.

Spoiler :

Great Scientist: the button for Bulbing is already permanent, so everything seems correct to me.

Great Merchant: the button for Bulbing is already permanent. However, the tooltip only shows how much gold you can earn from the Conduct Diplomatic Mission option after the GM is already in a City-State's territory, so I need to spend some turns getting there to reveal that information. What if I do it and then I find that the gold amount is not enough and I prefer to create a Town? More turns spent coming back. This can't be intended, right?

Spoiler :

Also, the bulbing tooltip doesn't tell how many turns of WLTKD you'd get, even though Great Artist's does tell how many turns of Golden Age you'll get if you spend them for that. Why the difference?

Spoiler :

Great Diplomat: pretty much the same as the Great Merchant. You can only see how much influence you'd get after it is in a City-State's territory. What you say? That you must bring it to a City-State anyway if you want want to spend it, so it shouldn't matter? Yeah, I know. However, depending on the influence I'd get, I might prefer to bring it to another City-State, right?

Spoiler :

Great General: nothing to add here. GGs don't have any Bulbing action, so I'd be happy with just the Create GTI button always shown.

Great Prophet: shares the same problem as the GE, the Found and Enhance buttons "disappear" if it's not on top of a city (being next to one doesn't count), and the tooltip doesn't even say so. Make the Found a Religion and Enhance your Religion buttons permanent, advising in its tooltoip that the GP must be on top of a city (and Holy city, respectively) to use them. Also, include in the tooltip that using the GP to spread religion even just once will make any other action impossible.

I'm requesting/suggesting this because I've found myself many times wasting turns while I was trying to reveal some of this information, as well as going back to previous savegames tons of times, after realizing I had made a mistake.

I hope at least some of this is feasible, even if it's not considered a top priority right now (I'm aware of that). This actually took some time and effort, so I really hope it doesn't go to waste ^^u. Btw, Everyone is welcome to join and give more ideas!

Whew! I think that's all folks!

Last edited:
Will you write the code for it and put it in? :)

As I said, I don't know how to do it. I have no idea (I mean it, none at all) about how this so called code works. If I did, I would try. But, in my ignorance, I hope what I'm asking wouldn't imply too much work to someone with experience.

Top Bottom