1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Request: Inca on Earth18 or 1000AD Start

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by mutax2003, Apr 25, 2009.

1. mutax2003

mutax2003 Rider of China, 4-3-3

Just as a request, can someone play out the Incas on Earth18 or 1000AD start? I am interested in seeing how you would over the geographical isolation, as well as colonizing the other side of the Andes. You can play at any difficulty that you choose.

Mutax2003

2. vanatteveldt

vanatteveldt Emperor

Check out Neals KotW game!

3. Harv

Harv Emperor Supporter

I Recommend Neal's King of the World Series. EDIT - I was beaten to it!

Inca is fun in its own way in that they are isolated at the start and completely protected from the Barbarians until they break out of the shell. It is another example on E18 where normal Rexxing does not work.

IMO - you can build one decent city, plus three lousy cities. Being Financial, that should be enough to start your research and fund expansion.

You need Sailing to get out of your Mountain cage. I also suggest building the Great Lighthouse and the Colossus. Once you start colonizing South America, you will then want to get to Optics pretty quickly - after you have all of your worker techs.

Give me a couple of weeks or so and I might be able to start a game. If you are interested in playing Incas on E18, why not post a screenshot and a save and get opinions from people, then play a few turns and invite feedback?

4. Feyaria

Feyaria Warlord

1000 AD, emperor level. Settling all of Southamerica gives you enough cottage land to tech very fast, and the amazonas cities with lots of watermills have great production for spaceship parts.

5. mutax2003

mutax2003 Rider of China, 4-3-3

Feyaria, I found that in the 1000 AD scenario, AI typically would launch the spaceship in the 1900s, even on monarch level. Could you post some more in game screens, just to show how you caught up in tech, and were able to build the spaceship ahead of AIs?

6. Fei Kelei

Fei Kelei Pleased

For 18 civs:

Settle Cuzco on the coast, and build a galley to send your first settler to the crab/deer site in Chile. There's forest to chop there if you want to build the Great Lighthouse, or just use it to pump out workers/settlers/quechas. Settle Buenos Aires next, which will be a really good city with its three food resources, and from there work your way north, sticking mostly to the coast at first (especially if you have TGL), because those city sites have less jungle and will be useful more quickly. You can settle the useless city south of Cuzco just to grab copper, but I think that quechas and archers are sufficient barb protection until you can get to the iron halfway up the continent. I almost never use the Serfdom civic, but it's actually quite useful here for when you're chopping all that jungle and cottaging up the Amazon. Also, if Monty doesn't found a religion, I recommend trying for Confucianism. You'll then have the only religion in the western hemisphere, and that shrine income, diplo with Monty, and extra happiness is nice. You won't get too many trades from your northern neighbors, but anything is helpful.

Regardless of how well you play the early game, you're guaranteed to be massively behind when you start making contact with Eurasia and Africa, so you need to make deep beelines in the tech tree to catch up. You can forget about Liberalism, and honestly, most of the top half of the tech tree (and the wonders that go with it). In my last game, I went directly through Guilds>Gunpowder>Chemistry>Steel. Everyone (except Monty and Roosevelt, who cease to matter at that point) already had Guilds, Gunpowder was well known and only netted me a few trades, Chemistry was in high demand and netted me all kinds of backfill and contemporary techs, and I was the first to Steel, so trading that around brought me up to tech parity. By that point, my Amazon cottage spam was really getting going, and a mass civics change to Universal Suffrage/Free Speech/Emancipation sealed the deal. With my tech rate taking off and the main powers busy slaughtering each other in Asia, it turned into a pretty easy space race victory.

7. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

3 major advantages with Huayna on 18 World:
    1) tons of land to yourself (you should be able to claim all of South America) Once the jungle is chopped, simply cottage the land and you'll lead in the tech by the late game for sure.
    2) Huayna's traits - allow you to build early wonders should you decide to. The only ones I suggest are the Great Wall and GLH/Collosus - The Great Wall will help you with barbs once you decide to expand and will also give you a Great Spy with which you can infiltrate Monty or Roosevelt and steal techs from them once you get spies at Alphabet. Financial makes cottages so much better. Build the GLH and Collosus if planning to settle a lot of coastal cities.
    3) No need to maintain a large army early on and can focus on infrastructure. Build a few triremes to destroy Monty's fleet if he tries to attack you (easier to sink a fleet than kill the units in it), but he shouldn't if you play your cards right (adopt his religion, give him a tech or two). He has Roosevelt to worry about.

Disadvantage with Huayna on 18 World:
    1) Isolated from the Old World = slow tech rate because of lack of tech trading. You can easily catch up though. Get Optics early if you can.

Last time I played a civ in the New World on Monarch (with Roosevelt), the best teching AI in the Old World (Liz) was a paltry 4-5 techs ahead of me when I met her. I surpassed her after 20 turns or so after trading around and was the tech leader till the end. I was slow and ended up winning an early 1900's Space Win.

8. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

I'm having a go at Earth 18 ancient start. Only up to 1000bc (slow player). Cuzco went Gwall>galley>settler>Glight. Settled on deer/crabs. Probably try to nab Colossus as well as I'm going coastal.