Request: "Open Borders" agreement division

konradcabral

Prince
I have an idea to a new feature for Civ IV. This idea came to me because I hate to let traitorous dictators and their filthy armies walking across my graceful country just because I want the commercial benefits of the agreement. Besides, a friendly neighbour who wants those same benefits, is obligated to let them pass to attack me, and I have few arguments to stop this. So, what I'm politely asking here is for you guys who know Python, SDK, C++, ancient greek and stuff, to make this mod. Obviously, if you like the idea and want it in your games. I would greatly appreciate it! :)

My initial idea was like that:

Open Borders Division:

- Civil Open Borders (Scouts, Workers, Merchants)
- Commercial Open Borders - Trade Routes
- Military Open Borders
The differents levels of these would change the anger caused by spies getting caught.

A guy agreed with me but he proposed some slight changes. Like this:

Cross-Border Trade (my "Civil" combined with my "Commercial") -> Open Borders (my "Military") -> Defensive Pact -> Permanent Alliance
Each stage would require the others to be complete.

So, anyone who know programming and is interested in this, feel free to modify our ideas. But, please, please, take out Mansa Musa and Genghis Khan of my land! :crazyeye:

I agree with the idea in a way, in that in reality (I'm all about reality), you may let citizens of a nation enter your country, or trade with your country, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll let a warship into your ports.

As for looking for someone to make this, try http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=174446, I think.

Also, I think that you and the AI must have the option of demanding one-sided open borders agreement.

Also, I think that you and the AI must have the option of demanding one-sided open borders agreement.

Good idea! :goodjob:

Perhaps this could be added as a level halfway between vassal and normal relations, with a country having their own free will, but being clearly within your sphere of influence.

I have an idea to a new feature for Civ IV. This idea came to me because I hate to let traitorous dictators and their filthy armies walking across my graceful country just because I want the commercial benefits of the agreement. Besides, a friendly neighbour who wants those same benefits, is obligated to let them pass to attack me, and I have few arguments to stop this.

LOL. You want a new feature just because you hate to see foreign forces on your territory, whether they can do no harm to you? Weird.

LOL. You want a new feature just because you hate to see foreign forces on your territory, weather they can do no harm to you? Weird.
Strategically, it also makes sense to keep their troops from: 1) scouting your territory (have to rely on spies which can be caught), 2) keeps them from passing settlers from passing through your territory into an area that you have setup for later expansion, and 3) keeps their troops from going through your land to attack another country unless you have an agreement with them to do that.

I'd like to see this also.

I'd just like to add my support for a division between civilian and military open borders, mostly because of damunzy's 3rd point. If it was much harder to get military right of passage we would probably see morenaval invasions as people would use ships to bypass neutral territory (ships should be able to pass through neutral sea zones, at least until industrial age. That would give them some much needed value for exploration, colonization and warfare).

Perhaps this could combine with something about ships needing to go into port every now and then to resupply? That would make it more powerful, and be pretty realistic.

This is another one of those ideas that keeps being brought up again and again. (Hello everyone dunno how long I'll be back for.)

I am all for this idea, I don't think they should be levels of agreement, but actually different agreements. So having military open borders does not mean there is trade and civil open borders. And the agreements (at least military) should be one sided, so you can demand access to their territory but not give them access to yours.

This idea is all over the forums (in one form or another).

But the sad thing is - it can't be done by creating a mod. Firaxis didn't expose diplomacy code to modders, so until next official release of civ... :mad:

Top Bottom