Research Agreements

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
So after a very long time playing without RAs, I decided to dust them off and give them a try. Some of my notes

1) Are RAs considered cannon to VP? We've never really talked about them very much.

2) So as a datapoint, I just completed 4 RAs in a row on Turn 227 in my recent game. Of course, I completed the Porcelain Tower on the exact same turn, and I'm pretty sure by the order of operations that I didn't get the 50% bonus (sigh).

In total, I gained 2250 science. Broken down, that's ~563 per agreement over 50 turns, which is ~11.26 SPT (its actually less due to yield inflation but that's the raw number).

3) My issue with RAs is one, I think they are too long, 50 turns is FOREVER. 25 turns should be the standard (and I'm fine if the gold cost and science boost are adjusted accordingly). As for the Science....13 SPT is really not much at this point in the game. That said, I am effectively turning 250 GPT into 563 science, so in terms of return there that's pretty good. So I think its a scenario of, if I'm super peaceful with a civ....why not do it, but if there is any concern of them warring I wouldn't do it, and I certainly wouldn't hold up a war or anything to maintain it.

4) A big UI issue is that while there is a notification that tells you a RA completed....it doesn't tell you how much you actually got! I had to walk through my science numbers to actually figure it out (so I might be slightly off, depending on which instant number actually got used the RA total may actually be ~2180). I'll note this on Github

5) So to put the porcelain tower in perspective, if I assume 4 RAs running constantly (which we know they won't as diplomacy starts to break down at this point in the game but just to see), its generating ~22.5 SPT. Whether you think the other version of PT is too good or this is too weak, its clear that 50% to RA is NOT equaling 25% more science in your capital (which lets be honest is where you build this wonder). Even a non-tradition capital is going to have a lot more science base than that.

Last edited:
The notification should definitely be changed to include the yields.

Random question, would it be possible to extract information about bonus yields from a game into a text or csv document automatically?

Yes.

It could be nice to just have a log of every notification in the game, that in theory should cover instant yields and a lot of other nice things for data mining.

Feel free to open an issue on Github. :)

1) Are RAs considered cannon to VP? We've never really talked about them very much.

They are unselected by default, but I switch them back on and turn off tech trading because the latter is really exploitable. RAs are vanilla, feel balanced and lately the AI doesn't value them too much when it comes to break them in order to attack a weak neighbour so they're not free pact of no aggression anymore. That being said, I still value them as a diplomatic tool as well.

I always play with RAs turned on, but only rarely engage in them most games... when i do, its generally after otherwise getting to the top of the tech race, and "selling" techs for mass amounts of GPT or lump sums, or otherwise taking advantage of trading mechanisms, using RAs to maintain/increase my lead. Balance-wise, they seem fine, if a little weak ROI from human perspective, but in this sense I have generally assumed they provide a crutch to AI, who seem to use them more often than I do. tbh I haven't given it nearly as much thought as OP, just some purely anecdotal thoughts here.

I'm more concerned with tech trading when it comes to balance... I'm pretty sure having both trading and RAs enabled leads to AI runaways more often, and trading generally seems to be exploitable by unscrupulous human player in ways that AI maybe only occasionally or never stumbles into. That said, imo trading is a civ franchise staple, a must-have option. The "no tech-brokering" option is essential, but not enough of a limiter. Maybe if it cost some instantaneous science debit to the tech provider in a trade involving tech, this might provide a suitable limiter

Top Bottom