• No

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Abstain

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Goonie

Lonely End of the Rink
Should we research Mathematics?

EDIT: I should add that we have researched one turn of writing.

You beat me to this poll Goonie. ;) Although I would have worded it slightly differently....

The primary question behind this proposal is: Should we change our research to Mathematics or should we continue researching Writing?

The rumor mill has it that 2 of our neighbors already have Writing and are willing to trade it for Mathematics. Assuming we get Mathematics first, we could therefore get Writing at the same time.

However, the concern is that if we don't get Math first, or if our neighbors decide that they don't need to trade for it (perhaps they're close to getting Literacy and the Great Library and figure they don't need to trade for it....), then we are still two techs out from the extremely important Map Making and Literacy techs.

Keep in mind that if we get math before everyone we could sell it for more than one tech. Imagine that: We could get Writing, Mysticism and something like Horseback Riding just by trading it to three different teams.

It's a bit of a gamble with a lot at stake, but I think it is worth it if we win the bet.

We need to gamble a little to catch up in the tech race. Research math

In light of GCA's proposed trade deal, I think we should seriously question the viability of any trade with them.

I still believe that we must not rely on the good faith of others when our national security is in question.

We should make every effort to obtain the Great Library. If we fail in getting this wonder before the others, then at least we will have researched two techs that are more vital to our needs than any others.

I would recommend recruiting two settlers (including the current one) from Shen Ling then switch immediately to a prebuild for the Great Library. This should have it completed within 45 turns! That should be soon enough to give us a halfway decent chance to get it before someone else does.

Imagine the BoP, a walled city with loads of spearman, now backed up with catapults...

I think we might want to get the GL asap... whether it means researching math and getting writing, or researching writing.

Also, Shen Ling is our best place for making settlers, and we are going to use it to make a GW.

Is this a good idea? I think so, but I'm not entirely sure. 45 turns for the GL huh. You factored in all growth and future growth right? (like, maybe cut down a few more trees to grow a bit bigger and then put mor eon production? (we may even get some bonus grasslands :))

Cutting down more trees won't help the situation. With only 1 luxury and without the benefit of temples, we cannot grow beyond size 5.

My numbers actually do not include the benefit of adding the incense to the north which would allow our city to grow to size 6, which should slightly reduce the time to completion.

Of course, prebuilding in another town is an option, but none of our other towns have shown the productive capacity that Shen Ling has.

But, back on topic.... the results of this poll are unsettling to me. In an SP game, it is safe to assume that acquiring Mathematics is a safer route to success as the trades are assured. However, as we have already seen in the recent proposal from GCA, there is no guarantee that we will be able to agree on terms of trade for Writing.

Researching Mathematics does not guarantee that we will get any closer to the desired goals of Literacy or Map Making. While it is possible for us to trade the techs, I fear that it is more likely that someone else will get it first and leave us out to dry.

In my opinion, researching Mathematics greatly reduces our chances of obtaining either the Great Library or the Great Lighthouse. I will not go so far as to say that it will prevent us from getting either wonder, but I know that pursuing that path will require us to put our fate in the hands of our neighbors... and that is not a comfortably situation considering the offers we have received from GCA lately.

If we can only grow to size 5, I would hardly say this is worth doing. size 6 or 7 (seven gives us a free shield too) is far more ideal.

Whats the situation with using the luxery slider or making an entertainer or two?

**Whoops, double post >_<**

Well, I'm thinking about returning to the DG and MSDG in a slightly reduced role than what I used to be in... But I seem to be having problems figuring out just what is going on: the lack of chat logs, news posts, IM contacts, or *any* sort of usable information in general makes it rather difficult to catch up ^_^;
Can't you have a news post somewhere telling what's going on in Fanatikou?

As for researching math, I wouldn't count on getting it from GCA considering their rather ridiculous offer... Is there any chance we can get it from Apolyton instead? Their bargaining brains don't seem to be totally addled.
If we can't trade for Writing from another source, I suggest we swallow our pride and take GCA's trade. Writing is just too important of a tech to wait for.
Of course, these suggestions are from someone who's only had a little bit of information about the current state of the game ^_^;

Veera, check the turn threads, there you will see a link to the summary. From there you can also access all the departement sites.

Welcome Back Veera :D

Top Bottom