Research Pacts. How do they work?

Davor

Prince
I thought if I had 250 gold the other player had 250 gold we made a research pact. Well I have no idea, but I agreed not to anger the AI Civ. (Maybe I should make them angry so the declare war on me. )

So I forgot about it after 10 or more turns. Then suddenly, I got a tech. It said it was because of the research pact. So how does these research pacts work? How do you know what you will research or will it be random? How long does it take for you research a tech? Am I assuming what ever I got, the other Civ got as well?

I like this new feature. It is something different and new.

After 20 or 30 so turns You get both civilizations get a free random technology. It will say how many turns till u a free technology on the research agreement

The tech you get is random, and I've seen the time be 20 or 30 turns (perhaps dependent on the age?). The cost is dependent on the age that the higher-tech civ is in, anyway.
One thing that's odd is that it seems that if you go to war with a civ you've got a research agreement with or they get wiped out, you seem to get the tech immediately. I would have thought it would make more sense that you just don't get any tech and the money is wasted, as a bit of an incentive towards peace. But I may have misinterpreted.

It seems if you declare war with your research ally, the agreement wraps up and you get a tech right away.

I'm not sure if its an exploit or if it was by design. I'd think the agreement should be suspended for the duration of the war, and if the civ is eliminated, the gold is simply lost.

That would make more diplomatic sense. Quesiton is, can the AI understand it so they behave the same.

Thank you guys for the help. I havn't used diplomacy much, I forgot to go to the diplomacy screen and see what it offers. Will do so in my new game.

Thank you.

It says the cost goes up as you get more advanced, but I think it's bugged. I've never seen it go past 350, which for a late game tech is an absolute steal.

Manual says you get a 15 % boost at your science, but I believe it's wrong.

it's a chance to "buy a random tech", not a science increase. (who is writing this manual and how long ago was it written?)

the amount of turns is dependent on game speed. (quick i think is 20 turns, normal is 30 turns, epic is 45, etc) and cost is dependent again on game speed, but also on the civ with the "higher tech advance". I've seen them cost 450 in later epic, but by then wasn't really needing it.

Top Bottom