[Reskin] German Hessian

jlc102127

Chieftain
This is a rifleman reskin for a German Hessian. It is my first reskin, so don't expect perfection. Sorry, I didn't make a button. Please post comments and whatnot.
Thanks.

Download

Image:
Spoiler :

Not bad, hard to tell whats been changed though. What is different on it from a normal rifleman? (Forgive me, I havent played non-modded civ in a long time)

Not bad, hard to tell whats been changed though. What is different on it from a normal rifleman? (Forgive me, I havent played non-modded civ in a long time)
the shirt is now green and the pants are now brown instead of khaki. sorry for all of those other threads, but firefox stopped responding :(.

Out of curiosity, what program did you use to edit the .dds file? If you used paint, I would reccomend switching to GIMP because you have alot more tools to use. (You will need to dl a free dds converter.)

Out of curiosity, what program did you use to edit the .dds file? If you used paint, I would reccomend switching to GIMP because you have alot more tools to use. (You will need to dl a free dds converter.)
i use paint.net (you dont know how many times i have typed pain.net). I tryed GIMP, but i found it takes a long time to start up, and paint.net is extremely user friendly.

GIMP does take a bit longer to start than most Paint programs, mainly because of the numerous functions it can do (bumpmaps add alot of realism to a unit.) Does paint have functions like that, and can it actualy create a new dds file (as opposed to simply editing an old one)? I dont want to sound like your unit is bad or you arent doing it the right way. To each their own. But If you start doing full reskins, more than recoloring a shirt, most paint programs dont work that great.

Paint.NET is less efficient than GIMP. You'll know the difference when you're editing massive pics and see that Paint.NET is hogging most of your system's resources and can't even save your pics anymore.

It's a lot more user-friendly, I'll give it that.

Sorry for going OT. Any plans for future units?

Sorry for going OT. Any plans for future units?
well actually, the Hessian wasnt my first, i reskinned the wolf brown to be a dog, for my dog civ (which i havent posted, and my dog is the leader. it was for warlords, but then i got BtS, and may update it). I am thinking about posting that. I had an idea today to make the airship in bts the goodyear blimp, but wanted to do something more important in history.

Funky units are just fine. So far we have seen the Yellow Submarine, 2 versions of Chuck Norris, and a couple othes.

Looks good. Just one question: aren't Hessians always Germans? Maybe just my lack of knowledge... I mean in this case Hessian refers to a certain type of soldier that originally were Germans (like the guy in Sleepy Hollow I guess). On the other hand this type of soldier could have been copied by other armys as well. Similar to Hussars. In that case specifiyng Hessian by German Hessian would make sense. I'm just curious.

I always thought Hesse was a German state, and that Hessians were just soldiers from this state who were employed as mercenaries (you have to remember Germany wasn't a country until the mid to late 1800s). So calling them German Hessians isn't really incorrect, because there were Hessians in the employ of many other nations (and yes, this includes the British during the American Revolution). But perhaps calling them Hessian Riflemen or Hessian Musketmen or Hessian whatever would probably be more appropriate.

You are right, Capo, Hesse was a german country, member of the Holy Roman Empire, and now is a federal state of germany. Hessian mercenaries fought for example in the american war of independence for the british army.

Calling Hessians german is absolutly correct. Back in that times (from early medivial until the founding of the first german state) everybody who was speaking the german language as native language was considert to be german, doesn't matter if they were from bavaria, prussia, hessia or even austria, even if austrians do see this a little bit different today. ;)

Sure, Hesse is a federal state of Germany. In this context it would be unnecessary to add the word German as a Hessian is always a German. That's bit like a british Englishmen. I just don't know if the word Hessian in military context has been used for non-German units as well. Just as Hussar as mentioned. There were prussian and polish Hussars that had nothing to do with Hungary. Sure, Hussar doesn't mean Hungarian, it's just that the word has been used for similar units with same tactics, equipment etc. as well. But if the Hessians in military terms were always German mercenaries, then it wouldn't be necessary, although not wrong, to specify them with the word "german" either. In short the question is: were there non-german Hessians (in military context)?

Wikipedia says, that Hessian was a synonym for all non-british soldiers under british control, because the mainly came from hessia, in general most of them came from germany. So there could have been soldiers, which where called "Hessians", but could have come from other countries. More a mistake than a real non-german hessian.

I was interested in it, i'm a hessian :D.

Top Bottom