Resource and required buildings question

Bobah

Chieftain
I have seen resources that have: +1 health with granary, +1 health with plantation.

I am wondering if this means, with this one resource, I can gain +2 health overall if I build both a granary and plantation?

I take it these buildings must be built in the city whose cultural border the resource resides.

What if two cities cultural borders overlap to where this resource is contained in both city's cultural border?

How do I determine which city to build the required buildings in, or can it be either?

Is the +2 to health only given for the city, which has these buildings, or is it given to each city the civ owns that is connected to the trade network?

If it is only given to the city, that has the required buildings, in the case of the two cities with overlapping cultural borders, if they both built these buildings would both cities get the +2 health?

Sorry about all the variations on the first question, but I sometimes confuse things by making them overly complex. The answer is probably simple, but my mind doesn't work that way. hehe

Thanks for any help

I have seen resources that have: +1 health with granary, +1 health with plantation.

The little :health: symbol when you look at what resources a city has available to it will be equal to one initially for any health resource. In order to get this initial bonus, you must have the technology necessary to build the improvement to get the resource and either: Build the improvement and a road to the resource, or build a city on top of the resource. Because resource tiles have better yields (food, commerce, production) than regular tiles, you don't normally build cities on top of them, but it depends on what the other tiles around it look like.

So for example, with bananas you must have calendar to access it unless you get it in trade from a civ that has calendar as you can't build plantations without calendar. You build a plantation on top of it, and a road to the city. Note that rivers act like roads.

So long as that city is connected to the rest of your empire via roads, rivers, coasts, etc., every city you have will enjoy the +1:health:. Furthermore, with guilds, you can then build a grocer. The grocer gives you an extra multiplier for gold (+25%), and an extra health bonus to four different resources, and banana is one of those resources. When you build a grocer in a city, you get an extra health for banana and the other resources the description of grocers list that you have access to, but only in the city that builds the grocer. If other cities need the extra health and/or gold, they will need to build grocers too.

I am wondering if this means, with this one resource, I can gain +2 health overall if I build both a granary and plantation?

Granaries give bonuses for corn, rice and wheat, which all require farms. The plantation resources are not enhanced by granaries.

I take it these buildings must be built in the city whose cultural border the resource resides.

In order to have a resource, it must be within your cultural borders or traded from another civ.

What if two cities cultural borders overlap to where this resource is contained in both city's cultural border?

When you look into the city screen, which city uses the tile can be assigned by clicking on that tile in the city you want to use it. However, both cities will enjoy the initial :health: benefit from having access to the resource, and each city will need to build the building that enhances the bonus to gain +2 :health: from it.

How do I determine which city to build the required buildings in, or can it be either?

All cities should build granaries because it'll basically double your food yields. Build those even if you have no corn, rice, wheat. If your city is unhealthy or about to become unhealthy and you have access to resources enhanced by a building (like bananas for grocers, seafood for harbors), then building that building will be a higher priority than it otherwise would be.

Is the +2 to health only given for the city, which has these buildings, or is it given to each city the civ owns that is connected to the trade network?

As stated above, you get one initial bonus in all cities for each resource, and the extra one is for each city that builds the building.

If it is only given to the city, that has the required buildings, in the case of the two cities with overlapping cultural borders, if they both built these buildings would both cities get the +2 health?

Yes. I'd suggest looking at some of the beginners guides on the forum. Even when I first came here after playing for awhile I learned things I hadn't realized from them.

Thanks for any help

A plantation is an improvement that has to be build in the tile the resource is in, you also have to then connect the resource to your cities - with roads, rivers, or by sea.

If you do this, or if you get that resource by trade then every city it is connected to gains the +1 health bonus. A single resource can be connected to all your cities. Additional resources of the same type give no extra benefit (except to corporations) so can be traded for money or different resources.

IF a resource gives a +1 health bonus with a granary then if you build a granary in a city the resource is connected to you will gain the +1 health bonus. While a resource can be connected to all your cities, each city will need a granary for that city to gain the bonus.

I've had situations where I've had a resource with my city's workable tiles, built a plantation or mine or whatever improvement was needed, connected the resource with a road to the city, the city was connected (those little "trade arrows" were there) to the rest of the nation BUT the little resource icon always said I had "O Incense" or "O Gold" available.

I wasn't trading the Incense away, for example, and obviously I had the tech to build the improvement. I thought well maybe I need say a Pagan Temple to make use of the Incense. I had a temple, not in that city, but in the empire. Still no Incense.

Waited three turns. No resource. Built another road - maybe the first was funky in some bizarre way. No resource.

Any possible reasons why I never got those resources from those tiles? There was no enemy civ anywhere near, my civ borders extended out to sea, but no resources from that plantation and mine. Everywhere else, yes, I had two gold mines that supplied gold but not the third...

Every encounter this?

You're a bit confused here. A Plantation is not a Building, it's an Improvement. It's get built on the map, not in the city and only on top of the actual resource. It is put there by a Worker. Once the plantation and a road are built, the resource becomes connected to your empire and every city gets the health benefit from it, not just the one the resource is near. A Granary on the other hand can only be built in the city itself , through the city screen. It require Hammers and keeps the production capacity of the city occupied until it's complete. Once done, the health benefits only apply to that particular city, not to your empire like the Plantation.

Top Bottom