Resource Improvement

Alan Vincent

Chieftain
Would I be right by saying when I improve a resource within a city radius, that city immediately benefits from that resource BUT that resource would need to be connected to the city centre by a road and that city connected to another city by road for that other city to benefit also. The important step I'm not sure about is having to connect the resource to the city centre even though the resource is in the radius already.

Would I be right by saying when I improve a resource within a city radius, that city immediately benefits from that resource BUT that resource would need to be connected to the city centre by a road and that city connected to another city by road for that other city to benefit also.
No. To grab a resource, it needs to be connected. Note that rivers/coastline within cultural borders act as roads. If a resource is connected and your cities are connected, then all cities have access to the resource.

No. To grab a resource, it needs to be connected. Note that rivers/coastline within cultural borders act as roads. If a resource is connected and your cities are connected, then all cities have access to the resource.
So the resource tile needs to be connected to the city tile by river, road or sea then?

So the resource tile needs to be connected to the city tile by river, road or sea then?
That is correct. To be exact the city tile and the resource tile need to be in the same "trade network". You can see different trade networks by zooming out (mouse wheel) and choosing "trade networks" (or something like that) in the bottom right, on top of the mini-map.

Something that might be worth noting is that a fort counts as a city for the purposes of coastal trade route access, so if you've got a resource on a 1 tile island/tile cut off by mountains you can still add that resource to your trade network by putting a fort on it, although it will not get the improved tile yield from putting the "correct" tile improvement on it.

a fort counts as a city for the purposes of coastal trade route access
Which makes also me want to mention that settling on resources is often a good idea. Especially ones that are only 0 :food: when improved like plains hill marble/stone/copper/iron, or 1:food: like plains marble/stone/copper/iron/ivory, weak tiles otherwise like desert copper/iron or marginal :food:-resources like dry rice or sugar.

You can work the resource and get the benefit of improved tile yield without connecting it by road/river, if it's in the city radius. To get the special benefit of the resource ( :),:health:, or the ability to build something/build at a discount) it has to be connected as explained by sampsa.

Last edited:
Top Bottom