1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Resource requests?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by The Last Conformist, Aug 6, 2005.

1. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

I'm bored, and people apparently liked my Jade and Obsidian resources, so I thought I'd ask if there are any more resources that people feel are needed. I'm better at rocks than critters or plants, but I'm willing to try my hand at a little of everything.

Previews of resources I've already done:

Obsidian

Jade

Edit: Quite some time has gone since this thread was initiated. If you want to see further resources I've done, see my resource resource.

To make everything as smooth and simple as possible, please state when making a request if the resource is to be a strategic, bonus, or luxury resource.

2. Pounder

Pounder Phaethon was here

3. jobiwan7

jobiwan7 Jedi Scholar

I could use some "people" resources (the resources would look like a few people standing around). I'd use them for an ancient era mod I'm working on.

So I request:

Mediterranean People (For Rome, Greece, Carthage)
    Barbarians (Gaul, Iberia, Scythia)
    Easterns (Egypt, Persia, India)

I hope it isn't too much trouble!

4. The Last Conformist

@Pounder: Just tell me how potash looks like. :) Would a gas vent on fire work for natural gas?

@jobiwan: I can at least try.

5. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

for natural gas maybe fumes or something like how the incense looks? natural gas is needed

6. The Last Conformist

The tricky thing with platinum is that all silvery metals looks pretty much the same. Do you think the below is a good start for a platinum lump?

I could also go the aluminium route and do some artefact that's made from platinum - probably some sort of jewelry.

Attached Files:

7. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

What is jade?

8. The Last Conformist

9. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

What about a geyser ... which is hot springs thermal steam vent ...

A clove of garlick

10. Pounder

As for platinum, I wasn't thinking of jewelry, I was thinking more industrial, like pollution control, example catalytic converters. Or maybe medical, Platinum has the ability, in certain chemical forms, to inhibit the division of living cells. The discovery of this property in 1962 led to the development of platinum-based drugs to treat a wide range of cancers. Maybe a prerequisite for Cure for Cancer Wonder.

Here is a picture of potash, needed for fertilzer for farming.

11. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

The Last Conformist, You are correct about the "silvery Metals all looking the same in general. Probably for most Metals used as a resource in the game it will still look better to have them be more of a Nugget or drop of the pure metal in appearance because most metals are very "dirt" dark in their natural state. So Platinum should look like the Shiny White Metallic metal it is when refined. You can use subtle shades of color and greys and whites to obtain the Look you want and that will cause the different metals that are similar to have a distinctive difference. Take a Look at this Site and click on "examples" located on the top of the page. http://www.element-collection.com/

I uploaded a few new resources quite a while ago and Titanium was one of them. You can play around with thousands of subtle colors to get the look you want...in the example of my titanium...notice the light blue, purple and yellow pixels...this looks like a nice shiny but darker metal in the game but still differs from the game iron metal look. It is also a good idea to make the shadows for resources so they look "grounded in the game rather than floating. A lot of work to also make the .pcx files for the civilopedia but they are needed as well. All types of new resources are needed and wanted by many players...Glad you opened this thread and are willing to champion that cause :)

Attached Files:

12. The Last Conformist

@Pounder: You didn't actuall answer if you thought the nugget I posted was a good start.

Thanks for the potash pic.

13. Pounder

14. civclub

civclub Chieftain

15. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

Just thought of another a mushroom red with white spots

16. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

here is a Potash Resource and the Shadow for the Shadow palette IF you want to use it.
    note: just copy and paste each onto the proper game .pcx sheets...the shadow colors here will pick up the correct shades when you paste it onto your "resources_shadows.pcx"...looks good in the game to me but you may be looking for something else.

Attached Files:

17. The Last Conformist

Here's a slightly tidied-up version of the platinum complete with luxury icon:

Download

18. Kyriakos

I like it, it is generic enough to be used for many different things. Can you make a marble resource? (both white and black marble) :)

19. The Last Conformist

Wouldn't the Firaxian stone resource work for white marble?

20. Kyriakos

I guess, but i would need a black one as well