114 g + 4 gpt
83 g + 5 gpt
51 g + 6 gpt
20 g + 7 gpt

Strategic Resources
45 g for 1
90 g for 2 (horses/iron/uranium)
135 g for 3 (coal/aluminum/oil)
180 g for 4 (horses/uranium/offshore oil)
225 g for 5
270 g for 6 (iron)
315 g for 7 (coal/oil)
360 g for 8 (aluminum)

That seems odd. Did you select that value manually or get it by pressing the "what will make this deal work" button? Are you sure that the AI wasn't including open borders in the trade?

I have never seen a 275 luxury trade, either pre or post-patch. You must have had something in there with it as mentioned. More likely, you sold 5 iron/horse + OB for 275 and just misremembered it.

What I find funny here is that a neutral trade will almost always treat you the same as a friend, while some status of guarded, like "we think that you might be a threat" will trade on better terms than a somewhat antagonistic friend will.

@OP: What are your descriptions in the parenthesis under strategic resource trades intended to show?

@OP: What are your descriptions in the parenthesis under strategic resource trades intended to show?

They are the "denominations" of each resource (e.g. iron comes in 2 and 6). It's mainly just for extra understanding, but you can also use it to determine, for instance, that if you take a city with 8 aluminum, you're getting 360 g worth of resources (or 1.5 luxuries' worth).

I've occasionally traded luxuries for 275 postpatch.

There seems to be a positive trade modifier if the AI is "Afraid" I've had an AI who was Afraid and one era behind me and I was able to RA him for normal cost +60g, instead of normal +100.

OP, thanks for this. Nice not having to figure it all out post-patch :)

This is an excellent resource. Even if the values are not exact in every situation, they're still a great place to start and will save a lot of time negotiating deals for many Civ 5 players.

There seems to be a positive trade modifier if the AI is "Afraid" I've had an AI who was Afraid and one era behind me and I was able to RA him for normal cost +60g, instead of normal +100.

I think you are right. I was getting open borders from Hiawatha for 80 g and 7 g. He was stuck on a little penninsula big enough for only one city. I fortified a unit on the only land tile out and that prevented him from expanding for a while. Eventually my culture pretty much surrounded his only city. At this point he was offering 80 g for open borders.

Does anyone find it weird that the AI would rather give you gold up front than gpt? (They give less total gold the higher proportion of it is per turn). Should be the other way around I would have thought...

For a game with definite mercenary tendencies,
... "gpt > gold" makes more sense,
... but little about civ5 makes sense to me.
... I'm not yet "in sync" with the dev's "thinking".
... I'm not sure I ever will be.

The AI likes to squander its gold on useless things. If they have too many gpt deals and their income drops, they could crash and lose their army. It's unlikely, but it could happen.

Giving a small bonus for paying cash instead of credit helps mitigate this risk.

the only reason I can think of to prefer gpt over gold is to prevent exploits involving sucking all the gpt from an ai to ruin them - iirc you got do that in civ4 by first giving them loans to increase their available gpt and then trading for increased gpt

the only reason I can think of to prefer gpt over gold is to prevent exploits involving sucking all the gpt from an ai to ruin them - iirc you got do that in civ4 by first giving them loans to increase their available gpt and then trading for increased gpt

I loved subsidizing in civ4. 8)
Seems unreasonable for an AI about to DoW the player to pay in cash.
... 300g vs 10gpt x15 turns then DoW.
The warmonger nature of the AI favors gpt over cash,
... unless they aren't intended to warmonger as much as they do.

ALSO:
I thought only a percent of AI gpt was available for trade.
... bankrupting them shouldn't be possible via gpt trades.

Top Bottom