Resource sale chart (standard speed)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by w a i n y, Jul 9, 2011.

1. sebasm

sebasm Comfortably Numb

Nah, you can clean them out with trading, down to 0g and 0gpt.

2. bo_jesus

bo_jesus Chieftain

Luxuries seems to give 2GPT per happiness (at most) regardless of speed .

So on normal it is 2GPT * 4 happiness * 30 turns = 240 lump sum

Also on a GPT deal it *should* give 2GPT * 4 happiness = 8GPT but the AI always seems to insist on subtracting that amount by one. In the above example that would net you 7GPT.

I've played around with this a little by selling 2 luxuries at once for 2GPT * 8 happiness (minus the obligatory 1) for 15GPT.

All of the above calculations seem to be the same pre-patch as well. I don't think the formula changed at all, just the amount of happiness given has changed.

I haven't bothered selling strategics much so I don't know what kind of prices they give typically.

3. Sc4Freak

Sc4Freak Chieftain

Yes, the AI is basically just really dumb. Basic finance theory states that a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. In terms of civ, a lump sum means you can spend it immediately (and get the immediate benefit). You also don't lose the cash if you get declared on - if you go to war with a player, all GPT deals are cancelled and you lose that as an income source (which doesn't happen if you received a lump sum for it).

1gpt will eventually net to 30 gold, although in reality it's slightly less than that (you'd always prefer 30 gold to 1gpt given the choice). But the AI values 1gpt at 31.5 gold - which is completely insane. The AI places a higher value on gpt than it does for a lump sum even though a lump sum is preferred in all cases.

What this means is that when selling resources, you should always demand a lump sum wherever feasible. But when buying resources, you should always prefer to pay in gpt instead of gold.