1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Resource updates

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, Nov 19, 2017.

1. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

I plan to do some improvements on the resource roster.
    While we already have a fairly big number of resources, I would like to include the most significant missing ones.
    Like Citrus and Camels as actual resources on the map (the Middle-East and North Africa could really use some region-specific ones), or Cocoa as a colonial resource.
    Dates, Hemp, Opium and Pearls are also some strong candidates IMO.

Also, there are some oddities about the current ones.
    Coal is somewhat strange in the mod, with no real purpose to be honest. There were some suggestions to replace it with Lead. Check the last few posts on this thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rfc-europe-resources-and-terrain.299227/page-7
    Any better suggestions what to do with it?

Ivory represents both Walrus and Elephants, but the current setup is kinda strange. This will be improved with my next commit - already implemented some changes for it, along with various resource art updates.
    I also plan to remove the Relic resource altogether, along with all the remnants from vanilla RFC and BtS: Uranium, Oil, Football/Sports Event, Aluminium, also the original Elephant resource (which is no longer used with the changes mentioned above).
    So that's at least 6 removed ones (7 with Coal, if we decide to remove it) from the gamefont and resource XML files, and while it's not necessary to replace all of them with new resources, I would like to do that.

cmakk1012, Mammon and Kojinesha like this.
  2. El Bogus

El Bogus Chieftain

Brick, Peat and Tar come to mind as production ressources. Glass was an important trade ressource for Venice.

3. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

As I've said before, add an Iraq/Iran "colonial project" for the Ummayad/Abbasid Caliphate. And have it be "lost" after a specific date. Then you can add all the goods that appeared in the Middle East from the Iraq/Iran green revolution (see Andrew Watson), such as opium, cotton/cotton cloth, silk etc.

You can call the project: "Iraq and Ajam" or "Iraq and Khorasan" or just "Iraq".

And I second glass, it would be nice as a rare resource, for the Middle East and Venice.

4. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Are you planning to replace the Relic resource with some other bonus from holding Jerusalem?

5. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

Are you implying that TAKING THE HOLY LAND isn’t enough?

But yeah, there should be a bonus—maybe one of the Jerusalem wonders could give happiness instead?

gilgames likes this.
  6. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Relic is changed into an item (represented as a unit, art from SoI), which everyone participant of the Crusades gets on success.
    Appears in the capital of the civ a couple turns after the conquest. I guess it should be 1 for all basic participants, 2-3 for the leader.
    The relic unit can be "settled" in any of your cities into a reliquiary building (which you cannot build anymore by default), which is made stonger.
    May give happiness, culture, gold, trade route in the city, stability? Up to balance.

If you think that the city of Jerusalem should also keep it's special happiness-giving role too, then instead of the current free Relic (resource) on the Temple Mount we can simply have it give +1 happiness in all cities.

Publicola likes this.
  7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

I'm not sure if I would like to get into directly adding produced/manufactured "resources". Where would be the end of it?
    Resource chains work great in Realim Invictus, but I feel it's a little out of scope for RFCE.
    Peat sounds good at first glance, might work pretty well. Maybe it would be great to add a little variety (and extra production) to Marsh and Moorland tiles.

8. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

You can't make buildings provide a resource?

9. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

That's what I meant by resource chains. Resources produced from other resources with some buildings.
    But in RFCE instead of the Brewery producing a Beer resource from Barley, we have happiness and commerce bonuses directly on the Brewery if you have access to the Barley resource. These mostly represent beer of course.
    This works the same way for most other resources and produced goods as well. We should probably keep it that way.

Publicola likes this.
  10. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Also taking Jerusalem should boost your orders max capacity with +1! Meaning 6 instead of 5 /order. as a quick idea for the topic.

11. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

I like these resource ideas. Dates, hemp/opium, citrus, camels, and pearls would a good addition. For replacing coal lead and/or tin would be appropriate. Both were important commodities.

12. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

There is no company limit for civs.
    Companies have their own, separate limit. Or you suggest to increase that? Why?

13. PinkPallin

PinkPallin Chieftain Supporter

I suppose gilgames meant the number of units that every order can generate.

Kojinesha likes this.
  14. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Exatcly!! Sorry not being clear on this

15. El Bogus

El Bogus Chieftain

Another suggestion: The Vikings traded Jet with the Anglosaxons. Soapstone also was an important trading good, furthermore exotic fruits and spices.
    In what way would slaves fit into the game? Vikings, Muslims, the Byzantine Emperor had them.

16. Vectors

Vectors Chieftain

Beer was not really something that got traded long distances

17. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

Where do you think the Vikings, Muslims and Byzantines got slaves from? Slavs.

18. El Bogus

El Bogus Chieftain

My question was aiming towards game mechanics. Slavery is not a civic anymore, yet there were slaves and of course the slave trade in the Middle Ages. Should they be in this mod?
    It was also the other way around. For example, Slavs were trading with captured Danes.

19. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

Hmm, what is your source for that? But ya, the "Polish King" (neither of those terms being used before 900 or so) in particular were major slave raiders/traders to German states and others. Obviously anyone could be made a slave.

20. El Bogus

El Bogus Chieftain

The German wikipedia cites Helmold von Bosau who speaks of an offer of 700 Danes captured by Slav pirates to Mecklenburg.