Resources and Victory path

EMahn

Chieftain
Very new to CivBE and just starting play, so please forgive the basicness of my question.

I was planning to pursue an Emancipation victory, and I see that it requires a Lasercomm satellite. The satellite, in turn, requires 2 Petroleum and 1 Titanium.

I see now that I have no petroleum directly available to my cities. Does this put me at a major disadvantage and should I abandon Emancipation? I realize I could trade for the petroleum, but will the AI competitors always be willing to trade it? It would seem a bad strategy on their part to do so since by hoarding petroleum, they would knock out at least two victory paths for any player who has no petroleum.

Any sufficiently friendly AI (i.e. Friendly or Neutral in diplo screen) will probably trade that petroleum for a 1 energy per turn deal. They don't seem to consider tactics/victories when it comes to trading, at all.

I've not had a single game where the resources were problematic, even when I didn't have any on my own. If you see AIs also not having much overall just check regularly and buy early so they don't use them to build new satellites. As long as they don't hate you it should be affordable.

Make sure you've researched the tech required to be able to see them on the map (or have chosen tectonic scanner as part of the game setup). You might have to scout around to find petroleum, as quite a bit can be found near the poles in tundra too.

Top Bottom