Who do you respect?

• I respect only those who have earned it

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I respect all who have not lost it

Votes: 45 63.4%

• Total voters

jeps

Arcadefire
What is your opinion on respect? Do you respect all other people unless something they do causes you not to, or do you only respect people who have done something to earn your respect?

If the first, what would someone have to do to lose your respect, and if the second, what would one have to do to gain your respect?

Who do you respect most?

Do you expect others to respect you? Even if you don't respect them?

I respect only those who have earned it
I voted for this one for the mere reason that as long as something is achieved by someone who does exceptionally well in reaching a goal, then it does not matter if one does fail in achieving it again later down the road since it is human to be imperfect.

I don't think that all people are worthy of respect by default. That's an impossible belief for me to reconcile. Maybe all people are worthy of decent treatment, but not respect in any meaningful definition of the word.

What definition of respect is the poll using?

Yeah. I voted "people have my respect till they lose it, then I read...

I don't think that all people are worthy of respect by default. That's an impossible belief for me to reconcile. Maybe all people are worthy of decent treatment, but not respect in any meaningful definition of the word.

and I was like, mmmh. Maybe respect is not what I had in mind.
What I meant is that I will assume that people are decent, good and worthy of friendly treatment until proven otherwise.

I try to respect everyone at all times simply for being who they are. You can lose my trust as described in this poll. Unless your reputation precedes you, I trust automatically as well. SOmetimes it can be hard figuring out how to respect someone while you don't trust them.

There are varying degrees of respect and I think that there's a basic level which every new person we encounter deserves automatically, and that can either grow or shrink based on the person's actions, attitudes and behaviour.

I respect a person until they have proven to me that they don't deserve it. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I think it's the same concept as 'innocent until proven guilty.'

I don't think either method is superior, it is just a reflection of your personality.

What you want, baby I got it
What you need, you know I got it
All I'm asking, is for a little respect
(Just a little bit) when you come home
(Just a little bit) hey baby (Just little bit)
When you come home (Just a Little Bit) Mister

I ain't gonna do you wrong while you're gone
I ain't gonna do you wrong 'cause I don't wanna
All I'm asking is for a little respect when you come home
(Just a Little Bit) Baby (Just a little bit)
When you come home (Just a little Bit) Yeah

I'm about to give you all my money
And all I'm asking in return honey
Is to give me my propers when you get home
(Justa Justa Justa) Yeah baby when you get home

(Just a little Bit) Yeah (Just a little bit)

Oooh your kisses sweeter than honey and guess what so is my money
All I want you to do for me is give it to me whn you get home
(Re re re re spect) Yeah baby whip it to me
(Just a little bit) when you get home now (Just a little bit)

R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T ,Take care, TCB ohhhh (Sock it to me,etc.)

A little respect oh yeah (Just a little bit)
A little respect (Just a little Bit)

I assume people deserve to be treated with respect unless or until they behave in ways that do not deserve it.

I respect people until they lose it. I respect certain people that I feel deserve extra respect more if that's possible.

Is respect different from civility?

I used to be a proponent of the respect earned school of thought but then I realized that'd mean I have no respect for strangers, of which I do. So instead I allot a person a certain amount of respect and I give and take however much respect.

Yes. You can be civil to someone you don't respect.

In that case, people have my respect until they lose it (for which they would have to do something quite serious and criminal). I expect others to respect me, and I'm not keen on giving nonreciprocal respect.

What is your opinion on respect? Do you respect all other people unless something they do causes you not to, or do you only respect people who have done something to earn your respect?

If the first, what would someone have to do to lose your respect, and if the second, what would one have to do to gain your respect?

Who do you respect most?

Do you expect others to respect you? Even if you don't respect them?

I respect (verb) everyone. I have respect (noun) for only a few, and it must be earned.

Respect was created for adults to use agaisnt anyone who is younger than them. When the youth attempts to use the rules of earning respect and who does and does not deserve them (in the eyes of the beholder and general public), they get their ass whacked.

So respect is more of an illusion.

But in respect for the thread...
You have to earn respect

Top Bottom