1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Response To North Korean Nuclear Attack

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nc-1701, Feb 12, 2007.

?

What Is Your Response?

1. Complete strategic nuclear retaliation level eveything including civillian targets

31.3%
  2. Immediate nuclear retaliation against military targets folowed by an invasion

31.3%
  3. Immediate conventional strike folowed by invasion

20.5%
  4. Wait 24-48 hours while you gather a coalition to launch a combined conventional invasion

7.2%
  5. Go to the UN and request a resolution condemning their action folowed by UN sanctioned regime change

1.2%
  6. Heed Kim's warning and leave him alone

8.4%
  1. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

NK wouldn't care about the US anymore because I'd have already pulled out all the troops from Foreign lands and declared that the US will not be the world's police force any longer.

2. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

That would be a wise decision, the World doesn't need a corrupt policeman.

3. Dann

Dann Green bug

But that's the whole point. "Look! We are sympathizing with you and punishing Kim on your behalf." Meanwhile the result is either (a) another obedient and friendly DPRK; or (b) China hands NK to SK on a silver platter and they become eternally grateful to us. :D

4. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

No one is perfect, no one country should be responsible for anything.

5. JonnyB

JonnyB Workaholic

I agree with Dann, I don't think China would want all those nukes flying around so close to it's borders and would take care of NK once and for all if it even suspected Kim was going to launch one.

6. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Agreed. Nobody asked the US to do the police work.

7. Stylesjl

Stylesjl SOS Brigade Member

Immediate, Overwhemling nuclear retaliation. Nobody lobs off a nuke and gets away with it. I would turn North Korea into a smouldering glass crater to make sure they couldn't lob off another one

8. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

How humane you are.

99% of North Koreans live in terrible conditions under brutal totalitarian rule so evil that an average Westerner can't even imagine that.

There is no reason to hold North Koreans responsible for what their rulers do, because they can't do anything about it.

In this scenario, retaliation against military targets and Pyongyang would be enough to destroy the regime without comitting a genocide on the innocent people.

9. Norseman2

Norseman2 Commy from the North

I definitely would not use nukes. I know he'll be hiding in a bunker before he launches his own nukes, and if I don't know where he is, then there are good odds my nukes won't get him. If that happens, the country will be irradiated, so I won't be able to send my troops in to look for him for quite a while. Meanwhile, as soon as the burning stops, he and his buddies can just get into a car, boat, or submarine with some radiation shielding and leave the country, and if they decided to launch the nukes, they will first prepare to get nuked in return, so something like this is entirely expectable. Thus, I will have just screwed myself royally, by killing a ton of innocent people and yet missing the guy who was actually responsible (does that sound familiar? Hmmmmmmmmmm....). It will also result in nuclear fallout in South Korea, and possibly some direct damage from the blast. Again, not something I'm interested in. I'm not exactly much of a politician, I'm bad at thinking of ways to turn people's attention or lie in such a manner that what I say is technically true. Because of that, I don't really have very many options left to me, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

The other option is a conventional strike. B2s loaded with guided bombs to take out his nuclear weapons, and begin to take out his air defenses. I have to make sure he doesn't get away. To do that, I would have submarines surround the country and monitor as much boat traffic as they can while I get in there with destroyers and cruisers. I would send all boats back to North Korea, and sink them if they don't comply. I would offer the crew of sunken ships a trip back to North Korea. I would ask the Chinese and South Koreans to make sure he doesn't leave by ground, and ask the Chinese, Japanese, Russians, and South Koreans to check the passengers of any flights from North Korea. I would ask any and all nations to help me out. I would also leave Iraq immediately. I might have a handful of soldiers stay behind to protect the government in Baghdad, but the vast majority would get redeployed to South Korea or China as a staging area, along with maybe 75% of the reserve forces, and all of the remaining active troops. That would bring troop concentrations to something like 2.5 million soldiers. I would also reinstate the draft and add another 10% of the population (about 30 million people, for a total of 32.5 million soldiers). After we've been nuked, I think people will be glad to join up. This would be a number of soldiers slightly greater than the population of North Korea, and about 3 times higher than North Korea's total military size, when you include reserves and paramilitary. If you combine our soldiers with the soldiers that other countries send, and the very powerful military equipment we have, I think you'd be looking at a cakewalk.

10. VX250

VX250 Down With Swingtown

If people act like they want to live in the stone age, we should send them back to it.

11. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Use of nuclear weapons would be necessary in order to preserve stability. There is one simple rule: if a nuclear weapons state uses nuclear weapons against another NW state, the retaliation is also nuclear.

12. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

I agree - on a brighter note: NK has apparently agreed to nuclear disarmament :) - so if that is true there is one thing less to worry about ;)

13. nc-1701

nc-1701 bombombedum

All right now here's my reponse.

Immediatly divert all Naval forces into the area launch all or nearly all of our strategic bomber forces loaded with a mix of tactical nuclear weapons and bunker busting conventional bombs. I would drop TNW's on any major military installations/nuclear sites. Conventional bombs/cruise missiles would destroy every command bunker we could find. I would then after several day of bombardment including low-yield nuclear weapons politely ask China/Russia/ROK/UN to send in troops to pick up the mess. The goal of my bombardment would be complete annihalation of all military capacity both strategic and conventional. I would not hesitate to use TNW's in line across the advancing troops on the DMZ.

14. bathsheba666

bathsheba666 Fast 'n Bulbous

This is a completely unrealistic scenario: - "Tide is beginning to turn against the insurgency" :rolleyes:

And why would they use missiles, when suitcases would do just as well, and increase the chance the retaliation would be against some other 'evil enemy nation of the month'.

15. Bozo Erectus

Bozo Erectus Master Baker

Unfortunately, a massive retaliatory strike would be necessary. If there isnt, it would embolden other states in the future to launch nukes at us too. Sorry to say it, but under my watch, NK would cease to exist.

16. nc-1701

nc-1701 bombombedum

Yeah I know...
    This is two years from now though we can hope...:(

The idea was really that the "Troop surge" had been expanded, and had eventualy turned the tide, but at the cost that the US was so over-extended that the DPRK believed they could actualy get away with this.

17. nc-1701

nc-1701 bombombedum

While I agree in principle that complete destruction would make an excellent example. Think of the Public relations point we could earn by "having mercy" while still having done so much damage so fast that within 24 hours the North Korean military force ceased to exist.

18. tomsnowman123

tomsnowman123 Simple Liver

Do what we always should have done; not get involved with North Korean politics.

19. Bozo Erectus

Bozo Erectus Master Baker

When we're talking about preemptive nuclear attacks against the US, the only public relations that matter is making sure everyone on the globe understands perfectly well that launching such an attack against the US will result in swift, complete, and utter annihilation. As President, youd owe that to the American people, no matter how personally devastating giving the order would be.

20. nc-1701

nc-1701 bombombedum

I don't see how bombing the **** out of their army and bunkers until we knew every leader was completely dead, and then requesting someone else invade for us would do anything, but show that we had massive power and we were not afraid to use it.

The other main reason I don't support bombing cities willy-nilly is because I have read some interesting things about nuclear winter recently suggesting that the firestorms kicked up by urban nuclear strikes could cause signifigant enviromental damage even from a limited nuclear exchange.