Response To North Korean Nuclear Attack

What Is Your Response?

• Total voters
Forget about all the examples of incomplete and faulty intelligence in military history that led to enormous blunders by one side. Looking at whats still happening today, with Iraq, you would still have no problem as President of the US being completely confident in our ability to have absolute knowledge of the enemy terrain? Because in NCs scenario, youd be gambling with the lives of millions of Americans. In a nuclear confrontation speed is of the essence. You dont have the luxury of getting a conventional attack started. A nuclear retaliation would need to be immediate and complete. Missing just one of their hidden nuclear sites in a limited nuclear retaliation could mean the lives of millions of Americans.

I'm also operating under the assumption that our ballistic missile defense shield missed the first shot for unknown reasons but presumably would have a shot at intercepting subsequent inbounds, and also our Aegis cruiser/destroyer stationed in the Sea of Japan would now be alerted, ready to take the ICBMs down in the booster stage, and might be joined by its friends momentarily. Also joined by the fact that North Korea might be bluffing in any case, and even if they aren't they've probably shot their best missile first and remaining ones might be less reliable than the first one.

Anyway, in your scenario the implication is that if the US holds back, NK won't launch again. Thus, minutes don't necessarily count - you can wait for the missile defenses to go to maximum readiness, for AWACS to launch and start giving local radar coverage, for fighter cover to scramble, and for Aegis ships to go to general quarters.

Just because there's failures in Iraq, and failures in the past, doesn't mean there will be a failure in the future. The Intelligence community is not without it successes as well.

In all likelyhood, the Chinese would come to our aid with intelligence as well. Certainly we wouldn't strike within minutes of the bombs falling, but I bet the planes would be in the air shortly thereafter. There would be enough time to get the planes in the air and towards the target while Intelligence confirmed the locations of the missiles. They are, after all, pretty big and hard to hide.

Simple doctrine would be an immediate counterstrike certainly within an hour bombers/missiles would be headed on their attak runs. As for the intel I'm sure that right now we have a pre-planned set of targets. So that the minute POTUS authorizes a counter attack we simply initiate plan 139 or whatever I'm sure we maintain a log of where every known ICBM of any nation is at any time. In short we wouldn't have to consult or plan anything we would already have a map drawn up with all of his known bases/military facilities it would just be a matter of pressing the button, or turning the key. The key to remember when it comes to nuclear war is that speed is what matters so everything has been planned beforehand I'm sure we have the co-ordinates of even France's nuke readily programmed so we can knock them out as quickly as possible. Basicaly w would simply folow a pre-written script.

Fourth option.

Mobilize the armed services and invade after consulting with the ROK President.

Declare war against any state that agrees to support or supply North Korea with any military or dual-use equipment.

Wow, I never thought I'de see you advocating restraint while I was advocating nuclear retaliation...:crazyeye: :eek:

Just because there's failures in Iraq, and failures in the past, doesn't mean there will be a failure in the future. The Intelligence community is not without it successes as well.
Agreed, but what Im saying is that in a nuclear situation, one in which we've already been struck, you dont hope we know everything and everythings going to be ok, like we did with Iraq. IMO you just dont have that luxury in the immediate aftermath of a nuclear strike on US soil.
In all likelyhood, the Chinese would come to our aid with intelligence as well.
Would they? Thats just an assumption. We know theyd go on maximum alert thats for sure, but in those heady first few minutes and hours, would they be sure of who there friends were in the coming conflagration? They might see it as a 'use em or lose em' situation. We just dont know.

Certainly we wouldn't strike within minutes of the bombs falling,
Why not? If we didnt, it would be a massive failure of everything we've been doing for the past 60 years developing our nuclear capabilities.
but I bet the planes would be in the air shortly thereafter.
Planes? This isnt Dr Strangeglove, our missiles would be over their targets within minutes.
There would be enough time to get the planes in the air and towards the target while Intelligence confirmed the locations of the missiles. They are, after all, pretty big and hard to hide.
Theyre also pretty quick too launch.
I'm against a nuclear strike simply because of the NK citizens. They didn't ask for the war, and the probably didn't want to launch a nuke at Seattle. They're the victims, as much as those killed in Seattle. A hard, strong, conventional strike would be more merciful towards those civilians who simply had the bad luck of being there.
Bozo agrees with Turner, but President Erectus and President Turner would have the duty to make sure, absolutely sure, that not one more missile strikes American soil, and to do so as quickly as possible without hesitation. Safety first, mercy later.
I'm also operating under the assumption that our ballistic missile defense shield missed the first shot for unknown reasons but presumably would have a shot at intercepting subsequent inbounds, and also our Aegis cruiser/destroyer stationed in the Sea of Japan would now be alerted, ready to take the ICBMs down in the booster stage, and might be joined by its friends momentarily. Also joined by the fact that North Korea might be bluffing in any case, and even if they aren't they've probably shot their best missile first and remaining ones might be less reliable than the first one.
Thats an avalanche of assumptions, and for all of the reasons Ive cited above, in a nuclear war involving ICBMs, the only safe assumption to make is that the enemy has more missiles and will strike again at any moment.
Anyway, in your scenario the implication is that if the US holds back, NK won't launch again.
You mean NC-1701s scenario? If I recall his OP correctly, he says that NK claims that they wont attack again if we dont retaliate. Does it seem plausible to you as President to say, "Oh, wait! Kim said he wouldnt strike again? Well why didnt ya say so! The guy who just took out Seattle wouldnt lie to us, would he?"

Thus, minutes don't necessarily count - you can wait for the missile defenses to go to maximum readiness, for AWACS to launch and start giving local radar coverage, for fighter cover to scramble, and for Aegis ships to go to general quarters.
Nope, I do not concur Captain. In a nuclear war, the least thing you have is time to sit around waiting for things. Thats why a guy follows the President everywhere with the nuclear football.

As tempting as total nuclear annihilation is, it doesn't serve our long-term strategic goals in East Asia.
How does a restrained retaliation fit in with our long term goal of survival? Worrying about our policies in East Asia while in the midst of a nuclear war is just as nonsensical as NCs plan to focus on public relations.

I would turn the other cheek....
And promptly be booted out of office by a military junta

You mean NC-1701s scenario? If I recall his OP correctly, he says that NK claims that they wont attack again if we dont retaliate. Does it seem plausible to you as President to say, "Oh, wait! Kim said he would strike again? Well why didnt ya say so! The guy who just took out Seattle wouldnt lie to us, would he?"

Logic indicates that he'd fire off all his missiles at once, rather than firing one and waiting a bit for us to get our act together. Sure, he may be acting illogically (it is Kim Jong Il we're talking about, after all), but waiting fifteen minutes for verification that it WAS an NK missile, and that the signature of the warhead indicates a NK-produced bomb would be nice. I personally would not eliminate a few million NK civilians and some substantial number of Japanese civilians (downwind radioactivity) over something I'm not positive about.

Nope, I do not concur Captain. In a nuclear war, the least thing you have is time to sit around and waiting for things. Thats why a guy follows the President everywhere with the nuclear football.

The reason that guy follows the President is so that we can launch our ICBMs (and strategic strike aircraft) before they're destroyed on/in the ground by the inbound nukes. If the USSR had launched on us and Mr Nuclear Football Briefcase was needed, it wouldn't be because we had a hope in hell of eliminating any Soviet strategic weapons pre-launch. Obviously, NK is incapable of destroying even a significant percentage of our strategic arms, so that sort of urgency is gone.

Assuming the launch sites are known, a counterforce strike would be the optimum response to minimize risk to additional Americans. Conventional if targets are sufficiently soft, but don't hesitate to go with dial-a-yield nukes on the minimum effective setting for the situation.

This is a scenario they brief the President-elect on as soon as we know who it is. In fact, it's possible both candidates may receive that briefing even before the election.

Top Bottom