Restarting Accidentally

docbud

Emperor
Have you ever done it? Clicked "restart" by mistake?

I did tonight and I swear to God the entire world heard me scream in anguish.

I was trying to play Babylon and kept getting lousy starts. Keep hitting restart since I kept getting stuck in either tundra or jungle.

Then--I had the perfect spot. SIX salt, and a marble and a mountain. I was like "I can't freaking believe it."

So I go to quickly save the game and what do you think I clicked instead?

Yup--restart!

Anyone else had moments like that?

As an aside--I've spent the last half hour trying to get a decent start with Babylon with no success. Emperor level.

And I'm surprised the neighbors didn't call 911 when I screamed so loudly.

Whenever you start a new game, the game doesn't just create an initial autosave. It first erases all previous autosaves, then cuts/pastes current autosaves into previous, and THEN creates the initial autosave. So if you haven't started any other games yet, you can load up 0ldAutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.

This is also the reason why I do all of my save file manipulations manually in Windows. If I have a map I like, I'll take the initial autosave and make a copy of it elsewhere so that Civ 5 can never take it away from me.

Well, that does suck. But all is not lost, assuming you have autosaves turned on.

When you start a new game, the existing autosaves from the last game (i.e., the game with the super-start that you just restarted from) are preserved in a "prev" subfolder of the auto subfolder in the Saves/single folder (so the typical path would be "C:\Users\Home\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\single\auto\prev") with the prefix "Old" added to the start of the file name. So your most recent autosave would have been renamed "OldInitialAutosave...."

In game, just select Load from the main menu, tick the autosaves option and scroll down to load the OldInitial... save.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Dushku!

I did just scream louder. I kept starting new games :(

Originally, I went to the autosaves to see if it was there, and there were two files. But both were prior to the great start (I thought).

I'll know for next time, I guess.

Argggggghhhhhhhh

@Dushku: That was my plan--to copy the file to somewhere else on my HD so I would have it. Then make another copy when I settled.

Top Bottom