Restaurant charges "man tax"

Would you eat at a resturant that charges a "man tax"?

• Yes

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • maybe if I was dating some feminist

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Hell no

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
Ok, I'm still confused. Are you talking about the vegan restaurant? Or a hypothetical one? I re-read the article and it's not an all-female safe space where women can eat without men being present. Or at least the article doesn't say any of that.
Did you see the photo of the sign outside? "By women, for women" and just in case anyone still hasn't quite grasped who the intended target audience is, the interlinked female-symbols to clarify... ;)
I'm not sure where people got the impression that the restaurant is only for lesbians and the extra 18% is just another way of telling men to "GTFO, this place is women-only."
See above. But thanks for this:
The main point is the 18% tax (voluntary) asked of the men eating there, to point out to them what it's like for women who earn significantly less than men for the same jobs.
At last! That seems to have been forgotten since about page 2 of this thread, by just about everyone posting in it, until now. This 'man-tax' is actually an invitation to male customers of the restaurant to donate an additional 18% on their bill, to an aboriginal women+children's charity. But of course, 'Restaurant charges man-tax' makes for a better click-bait headline (and thread title) than 'Restaurant invites voluntary charity donations'... :rolleyes:

Given how difficult it used to be to find decent veggie food anywhere in Oz, there will surely be a few male customers for this cafe -- even if they're only wimpy Euro-tourist SJW-types such as myself. (Yeah, I'm reclaiming the label! Power, brutha -- and sista!). And speaking personally, I wouldn't have any problem with making that donation -- if the food is good.
Spoiler Making donations for meals in Oz :
When we visited Brisbane back in 2006, there was a Hare Krishna-run cafe that didn't charge fixed prices, just asked for a donation at the diners' discretion (profit-making not being sufficiently spiritual. I guess). My wife and I went there for lunch every day we were in town.

(No idea if that specific place is still running, but a quick Google shows http://brisbanegovindas.com.au/city which sounds very much like it -- although I see they're now pricing their menus, tut tut... :lol: ).

Top Bottom