Restored Civilization treated as Free Cities (Civ VI Version 1.0.12.9 (229505))

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by David Lawler, May 14, 2022.

1. David Lawler

David Lawler Chieftain

I'm playing Gathering Storm with Heroes & Legends + Zombie Defense Mode + Tech & Civic Shuffle + Monopolies & Corporations Mode, Shuffle Map, Huge Map. Version 1.0.12.9 (229505).

I've seen some weird behavior for civilizations restored after conquering a city for a lost civilization that is currently a Free City. This typically (always?) is a former capital city. I've previously seen a restored civilization be impossible to communicate with (doesn't appear in the list of Civilization Leaders that you can trade with, no listing in the top of screen listing of Civilizations, etc.

Currently, the issue I'm seeing is that the Barbarians & Zombies are treating cities created by the Restored Civilization (Norwegian Empire / Harald Hardrada) as Free Cities. Barbarians & Zombies do not attack Norwegian units or cities and generally do not enter their territories. Otherwise, Norway is normal: it can be traded with, attacked, befriended, allied with, etc.

Anyone else see this type of thing?

Attached Files:

2. Dedrytus

Dedrytus Warlord

The same situation is with city states evolving from barb camps (clan mode). They will be passive toward barbs and ignored by them. However they can clear empty barb camp.

3. David Lawler

David Lawler Chieftain

I've only played Clan Mode a couple of times as I find it pretty uninteresting. But the situation I'm seeing is abnormal. It seems to only happen when a civilization is eliminated when its last city (typically the capital) rebels due to low loyalty and becomes a Free City. If that civilization is later resurrected by capturing and returning the city, it should return to normal situation of being attacked by barbarians and zombies. Instead, in this case, the civilization (Norwegian Empire) neither attacks barbarians/zombies nor is attacked by barbarians/zombies, no matter how many additional cities it founds.