1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Retrieving map seed

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Maps and Map Scripts' started by Hyronymus, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Chieftain

After screwing up a splendid start with Cleopatra I was desperate to find the map seed and I found it.
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Logs;
    • Open Lua.log with a text editor (Microsoft's notbeook.exe will do);
    • Search for seed and write down gameseed and mapseed;
    • Start a new game under the exact same map conditions and click on advcanced options;
    • Under advanced options type in the gameseed and mapseed you wrote down earlier;
    • Enjoy (and SAVE).

pegasus515 and purringcat like this.
  2. zocki

zocki Chieftain

Thanks but sadly it doen't work for loaded savegames. Its limited to new created games(probably until you restart civ).

3. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Chieftain

What do you mean with loaded savegames? These seed values can only be chosen upon map generation and loading a savegame in Civ6 doesn't give you random outcome (for goody huts).

4. zocki

zocki Chieftain

What i mean is that your method of reterieving the seeds only works if you create a new game and look into the lua.log before starting civ again.
    It does not work if you want to retrieve the seeds of a game that was loaded from a savegame(no seed entires in the lua.log).

Quick note on the last argument - Civ6 gives radom outcome on things like barb camps and goody huts but the reload needs to be 2-3 turns before the outcome.

5. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Chieftain

Of course, you need the lua.log that matches the map generation sequence. The sheer design of these logs is that they get erased ;). Funny thing about random outcome and loading in advance by the way.

6. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Chieftain

It's possible to retrieve the seed from the save file with an Hex Editor. The method was posted in the main Creation forum. I'll see if i can find it.

EDIT : Here you go

HannibalBarka likes this.
  7. merkeldidnothingwrong

merkeldidnothingwrong Chieftain

very nice and easy gj

8. Tilarium

Tilarium Grand Lord

Cool find. I got a map I really liked while I was playing England but it didn't have any horses or more importantly copper! Sense I have the Strategic Industry mod, copper is very important for early England! I'm guessing that changing the gameseed will change the AIs and resources while the mapseed controls the map design? Has anyone experimented with that?

9. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Chieftain

Interesting deduction :) and I didn't try it until you brought this up. Unfortunately this doesn't work and you end up with a completely different map, at least not when you match the game seed with the map seed.

10. kfoelsch

kfoelsch Chieftain

The easy way is to copy your game to the Multi folder and then go into the setup options. The seed info can be displayed there.

11. 123john321

123john321 Chieftain

I tested this by loading a save into Hot Seat and it works. Thanks for the information!

12. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

Someone could write a script to log the gameseed and mapseeds ;)

(You don't even need a mod)