Retrieving map seed

Hyronymus

Troop leader
After screwing up a splendid start with Cleopatra I was desperate to find the map seed and I found it.
  • Navigate to C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Logs;
  • Open Lua.log with a text editor (Microsoft's notbeook.exe will do);
  • Search for seed and write down gameseed and mapseed;
  • Start a new game under the exact same map conditions and click on advcanced options;
  • Under advanced options type in the gameseed and mapseed you wrote down earlier;
  • Enjoy (and SAVE).

Thanks but sadly it doen't work for loaded savegames. Its limited to new created games(probably until you restart civ).

Thanks but sadly it doen't work for loaded savegames. Its limited to new created games(probably until you restart civ).
What do you mean with loaded savegames? These seed values can only be chosen upon map generation and loading a savegame in Civ6 doesn't give you random outcome (for goody huts).

What do you mean with loaded savegames? These seed values can only be chosen upon map generation and loading a savegame in Civ6 doesn't give you random outcome (for goody huts).
What i mean is that your method of reterieving the seeds only works if you create a new game and look into the lua.log before starting civ again.
It does not work if you want to retrieve the seeds of a game that was loaded from a savegame(no seed entires in the lua.log).

Quick note on the last argument - Civ6 gives radom outcome on things like barb camps and goody huts but the reload needs to be 2-3 turns before the outcome.

What i mean is that your method of reterieving the seeds only works if you create a new game and look into the lua.log before starting civ again.
It does not work if you want to retrieve the seeds of a game that was loaded from a savegame(no seed entires in the lua.log).

Quick note on the last argument - Civ6 gives radom outcome on things like barb camps and goody huts but the reload needs to be 2-3 turns before the outcome.
Of course, you need the lua.log that matches the map generation sequence. The sheer design of these logs is that they get erased ;). Funny thing about random outcome and loading in advance by the way.

It's possible to retrieve the seed from the save file with an Hex Editor. The method was posted in the main Creation forum. I'll see if i can find it.

EDIT : Here you go

Cool find. I got a map I really liked while I was playing England but it didn't have any horses or more importantly copper! Sense I have the Strategic Industry mod, copper is very important for early England! I'm guessing that changing the gameseed will change the AIs and resources while the mapseed controls the map design? Has anyone experimented with that?

Cool find. I got a map I really liked while I was playing England but it didn't have any horses or more importantly copper! Sense I have the Strategic Industry mod, copper is very important for early England! I'm guessing that changing the gameseed will change the AIs and resources while the mapseed controls the map design? Has anyone experimented with that?
Interesting deduction :) and I didn't try it until you brought this up. Unfortunately this doesn't work and you end up with a completely different map, at least not when you match the game seed with the map seed.

The easy way is to copy your game to the Multi folder and then go into the setup options. The seed info can be displayed there.

Top Bottom