Return of the King Extended Edition

kittenOFchaos said:
More hobbit staring to enjoy.

The more I look back on the films, the more I curse.

Elves at Helms Deep being the worst crime, followed by that impossible charge down a scree slope and Aragorn going over the cliff. So much of the film was good, they need only reshoot those parts that were plain daft, but instead they'll give us more hobbit staring RAAAR!
Unless my memory absolutely fails me, there were elves at Helm's Deep. Not many, but a contingent of archers were sent.

Sobieski II said:
I honestly thought all three movies were FAR too short.

Each should be at least 4 hours long, and preferably 5. What can I say, I like long movies.

This is better, but I personally wish that all the movies together were 15 hours long.

I am serious, then they wouldn't have to leave out ANYTHING.
Doubtful. 15 hours would be enough to make sure nothing was left out of ONE movie/book. The books themselves were way too packed full of wonderful stuff to be done in any short amount of time at all. When I first heard LOTR was being moviefied, I was horror-struck. Its nigh-on-impossible to do it justice in movie form.

What we need is a 50-hour treatment of the Silmarillion. Any takers? We can pool to buy the rights...

Keirador said:
Unless my memory absolutely fails me, there were elves at Helm's Deep. Not many, but a contingent of archers were sent.

No, definitely no elves.

Well, I could be an ass and say Legolas, but clearly I was just wrong. Damnation. See, I've lost my copy of Two Towers, and haven't read the books since I was 12ish.

And Silmarillion barely even works as a book. It reads like the Bible. After reading that, I was convinced Tolkien was at least a little mad.

Meh, I don't care about the changes to the books (which were great, but not as awe-inspiring as they're often made out to be). It's the campy dialogue, overuse of slow-motion, bad acting (not by all), plotholes, uneven pacing, unlikely situations, and bad editing that make them mediocre movies. That, and overuse of CGI (Gollum), although most movies are guilty of that nowadays.

Cuivienen said:
I own all three standard DVDs as well as the EE of FotR and TTT, but only because the Theatrical Editions came out first.
Ahh you were impatient and succombed to marketing and will now own 2 copies of the movie, one of which is inferior. ;)

Yet somehow I feel vindicated. I got to watch the movies four times more each than I otherwise would have.

Going back to the scouring of the Shire stuff...

I thought it was one of Jackson's better moves to not include it. As interesting as it was, it was a tad anticlimactic and would have made the already long ending in the movie damn near unbearable.

newfangle said:
Going back to the scouring of the Shire stuff...

I thought it was one of Jackson's better moves to not include it. As interesting as it was, it was a tad anticlimactic and would have made the already long ending in the movie damn near unbearable.
He could have at least put it into the extended versions, so people wouldn't have to sit through it in the cinema but could watch it at home.

Taliesin said:
and to correct the sometimes strange plot divergences. One of the most bizarre choices was Faramir's kidnapping of Frodo and Sam in The Two Towers-- I still don't understand why they had to go to Osgiliath.

and one of the stupidest things in the films happens there when a nazgul sees frodo and the ring but still sauron doesent know frodo has it but later thinks pippin has it. I HATE IT!

and i wonder how elrond of rivendell could send haldir of LORIEN to helms deep.

and PLEASE dont make me talk about legolas making those ridicolous moves!

About the scouring of the shire, it's actually in Fellowship, when Frodo is staring into Galadriel's pool. It's there, but only for a few seconds.
Also, who else but me hopes that the last ending (the one where you see sam's family) will be taken out of the extended edition? It was great until then. If they had finished right where frodo and bilbo leave on the boat, that would be the best ending ever.

trader/warrior said:
and one of the stupidest things in the films happens there when a nazgul sees frodo and the ring but still sauron doesent know frodo has it but later thinks pippin has it. I HATE IT!

and i wonder how elrond of rivendell could send haldir of LORIEN to helms deep.

and PLEASE dont make me talk about legolas making those ridicolous moves!

Elrond doesn't send him. Celeborn and Galadriel do. That's what the whole telepathic conference sequence was about in TTT.

odintheking said:
About the scouring of the shire, it's actually in Fellowship, when Frodo is staring into Galadriel's pool. It's there, but only for a few seconds.

Not really. The Shire wasn't in that bad shape before the Scouring. Those were also definitely Orcs shuttling the Hobbits around; there were no Orcs during the Scouring, just Dunlending men.

I see my 12 hour marathon coming on soon :)

I'll be doing the marathon soon as well. I'm nearly recovered from a nasty bought of glandular fever so once I am and my liver functions return to normal I'm going to get some beer and good food in and watch them in a row.

Keirador said:
Doubtful. 15 hours would be enough to make sure nothing was left out of ONE movie/book. The books themselves were way too packed full of wonderful stuff to be done in any short amount of time at all. When I first heard LOTR was being moviefied, I was horror-struck. Its nigh-on-impossible to do it justice in movie form.

Then make them 15 hours each. I don't care, I can watch them all. :cool:

odintheking said:
Also, who else but me hopes that the last ending (the one where you see sam's family) will be taken out of the extended edition? It was great until then. If they had finished right where frodo and bilbo leave on the boat, that would be the best ending ever.

I liked that bit - it was the same as the last scene in the book, which was kinda nice.

I'm gonna do a movie marathon at some point, probably sometime between Christmas and the new year. Oh yeah.:D

Top Bottom