Return your library books or go to jail!?

sourboy

Awakening...
http://www.channel3000.com/news/15468032/detail.html

Beloit Public Library director Dan Zack said when books aren't returned, the library sends three overdue notices. After the third notice, a citation is sent that could include court date.

When Givahn was pulled over for a traffic violation, the officer found out about her outstanding warrant and took her to jail

Only in Wisconsin...

Issuing a warrant over an over-due book is a bit harsh. Send it to a collection's agency and make her credit take a hit.

Actually that might be a weebit harsher....

What's the difference in having an over due book at a library and stealing one from Wal*Mart. Theft from libraries can be a potential problem.

In two different libraries I worked into (and another I colalborated with) I proposed the director to single out an extraordinarily flagrant late-returner, then to turn up on his doorstep with policemen and the local press, following the 70's Anarchists' principle that one has to hit one to educate a hundred.

Can anyone believe they didn't follow such a brilliant plan?

I don't care, it's a book. charge the person who didnt return it -- dont send them to jail on taxpayers money.

What's the difference in having an over due book at a library and stealing one from Wal*Mart. Theft from libraries can be a potential problem.

Because sometimes, it's just that you forgot that you had it and then went on holiday?

Only in Wisconsin...
What does Wisconsin have to do with not returning overdue books, or the enforcement of? :crazyeye:

Now, if it was a stolen bratwurst or something...

This is even worse than them selling overdue book information to credit companies. Luckily we live in a democratic republic so they could elect somebody that'll appoint a new head librarian.

Top Bottom