Returning to Civ IV

madscientist

RPC Supergenius
Well after a few weeks of Civ V I have returned to playing Civ IV. Civ V needs alot of work to get close to this game, there is just so mush detail, strategy, and diversity.

Yesterday I continued my private progression of playing civilizations at Immortal level, Currently up to Hatshepsut. I immediately felt reinvigorated at a War Chariot rush of Gandhi with extensive whipping of Graneries/libraries while trying to remain competitive in Technology and keeping a military superior Stalin happy while building a massive defensive army at a choke point city.

My experinece tells me that I have a chance to pull off a peaceful existance with the Russian but likely face a massive backstab or an outright rifle backed assault on Mother Russia, all the while desperately trying to locate the other leaders for tech trades.

You just Do NOT get this AI interaction in the new game. I can go to the Modern Era and still have this game on the edge. I will likely lose and restart another Hetty game (until I win with her).

Anyone else returned to Civ IV? Oh, I will probably return to Civ V once it's patched up a hell of a lot more and has a few expansion packs, but for a night I enjoyed the glory of Civ IV once again.

Looked briefly at Civ 5, found it boring as hell and utterly uncompelling, resumed playing Civ 4 obsessively. My game has been improving lately. For a while before Civ 5 came out I wasn't playing very well as I thought I might be giving up Civ 4 soon anyway when the new one came out. With that possibility dismissed, I have been playing Civ 4 better. :D

It seems like more and more people are returning to Civ IV. Im glad to say, Civ V came out on September 21st, I was back by the 23rd.

Cant stand V at all for all the reasons hashed over 1,000X. Even the "positives" dont jive with me. Im afraid that the entire game will have to be completely altered for me to ever choose playing it over Civ IV.

Interesting, is it possible to see on Steam amount of people currently playing CiV? I suspect this number will become tiny pretty soon. I just wait for CIV 4.5 - BTS with hexagonals and prettier graphics. If mod creators will make such a mod for CiV it will become super hit, no doubt.

there are a couple innovations on V, but they are very poorly executed.

Like embarking for example. It should have been implemented smarter.
For instance, you need a Technology to allow for the building of Naval Bases. These can be either an improvement or a Coastal City building (not sure which would be better). Embarking is still possible without transports, but only through the tile that contains the Naval Base. Also, when units embark, they need to bring along a certain amount of food or Gold or something.

1upt I think brings up a good debate in SoD vs. no SoD. Personally, I like stacks of doom, and 1upt is nearly a game killer. I would be open to "smart" ways to limit SoD by the way of penalties or a mass cap.

Ranged attacks also. I dont find that innovation all that enjoyable, but I think it has potential if it was implemented "smarter".

City States idea had potential, but the way they are is a game-killer for me. Cannot stand these abominations.

And Nintendo strategy games had better AI than this.

The same thing happened when IV came out. A lot of people came back to III. I'm sure the same thing happened when III came out.

CIVIII was best game out of the box and immediately became hit. CIV clamed to be worst game out of the box, with lots of issues, but we could see potential. Personally I don't see such potential in CiV.

FWIW mad, I had exactly the same experience – and reached exactly the same conclusions - as you. As a result, I actually found myself looking to (i) TMIT’s Civ 5 youtube video and (ii) your first RPC to see what I was missing: after all, although I never contributed to your Civ 4 RPC threads, I can say without hesitation that I loved reading every one of your (and Neal’s KotW series for that matter) games. Seriously...they were terrific! And the result was almost always the same...I’d end up loading up Civ 4, learn from you guys and have some great fun recreating history in my own game! :)

However, even after watching TMIT’s vid and reading your first RPC, I’ve no desire to load up Civ 5 again anytime soon. That’s not a criticism of your RPC or TMIT’s vid at all...just a reflection of the fact that they have both confirmed to me that a game of Civ 5 seems to pass by with much less to do / far fewer decisions to make per turn, relative to Civ 4. As a result, like you, I ended up starting a new Civ 4 game just recently and am having a blast! Now, whether that is something many others will do of course depends...Civ 4’s graphics do look dated by comparison with Civ 5, and of course, there are only so many variations in gameplay...even in a game as rich as Civ 4. That said, I do agree with you: occasionally playing it (maybe with the aid of a Civ 4 mod to mix things up) and maybe another non Civ game whilst (assuming?) Civ 5 gets patched and properly balanced, looks like the way to go IMHO. If nothing else, Civ V has made me realise what a brilliant, literally epic, game Civ 4 is.

I think I will go back to Civ V, but not for a good long while.

On the positive note I like the hexagon maps, single military unit/tile, ranged warfare, city culture expansion, and social policytree. There is much potential here.

On the bad side,

1) Diplomacy is boring and one dimensional. 95% of the time it's staying away from close borders, at which time the best of friends will attack.

2) Leader are basically the same with little difference. Might as well have fictional leaders, me against the red team, blue team etc...

3) The Ai stinks at offensive and defensive warfare. Building anythibng that helps military like a barracks is a waste.

4) The tech tree is mind-numbing boring.

5) City States at first were interesting but ended up dull and irrelevant (except they fought better than the AI).

6) Happiness is the most stupidly simplified thing in the game. Each Happy resource (and there a lot) give 5 happy faces spread empire wise. Why these cannot be split into something more like military resources (3 here, 2 there, etc) and alter the happiness aspect is beyond me. Why building do not work this also is beyond me (the Monestary and Mint are the only interesting buildings).

7) Golden Ages are good and bad. I like the numerous ways to get them and the advantages, but frankly it's way too easy to abuse them and keep the game in a continual Golden Age later in the game.

8) Great People are less "Impressive" meaning they do less, and I miss my zealotish Prophets. While it may appear nice to seperate the GP pathes, playing the percentages in Civ IV is missed. On the positive side here, GPS are just as valuable later in the game in V than in IV.

9) I miss the choices and late game changing aspects of Espionage and Corporations.

10) Worker improvements are limited to farms (on rivers), Mines (less efficient), Trading Posts (every land NOT on a river), and Lumbermills (eliminating chopping). With the exception of FArms (Civil Service and later Fertilizer) no improvements are changed over time or tech. THe strategy and flexibility of cottages are greatly missed as well are watermills, windmill, workshops, and railroading.

11) World Wonder seam soso and NAtional Wonders stink. NAtural Wonders seamed like a great idea but fell flat.

Unfortunately the above list of my complaints seam like major issues to repair, not simple patches. I understand the game is different, but it's a step back. The new features do NOT offset the gains.

Still, I will keep trying Civ V as it's patched.

10) Worker improvements are limited to farms (on rivers), Mines (less efficient), Trading Posts (every land NOT on a river), and Lumbermills (eliminating chopping). With the exception of FArms (Civil Service and later Fertilizer) no improvements are changed over time or tech. THe strategy and flexibility of cottages are greatly missed as well are watermills, windmill, workshops, and railroading.

Hmm that's not quite true, isn't the trading post at least affected by a late game social policy (I think it grants + 2 :science: / TP) ?

Hmm that's not quite true, isn't the trading post at least affected by a late game social policy (I think it grants + 2 :science: / TP) ?

Yes, this is true. However at that time the tech tree is rather pointless in my opinion. If the Trading Post did things like increasing gold per age, or at key techs, plus the social policy change that's another point.

I gave up on Civ 5 a few days after its release.

I downloaded the demo of Civ5, but am very disappointed. In my view it is not based upon Civ4, and an attempt to improve this game. It is a variation of the old game "Civilization - Test of time."

I agree with all you say. There are less choices in Civ5 compared to Civ4. To your extended list even more can be added. Ex

- workers can not cooperate and work on the same tile.
- Wonders produce very few extra points to produce Great People. Less choices again, not really worth much to make a game concentrating upon Great People.
- In Civ4 Great Generals had several functions. In Civ5 they can only produce Golden Ages (at least during the first 100 moves that was the limit in the Demo).
- Fishes in the ocean can not produce more food when improved by a fishing boat, they only produce some gold. No really point of building fishing boats, at least not in the beginning of the game. Again, less choice. In Civ4 the choice in a coastal town was to build a worker or building a fishing boat to produce more food.
- There is not copper revealed when finishing Bronze working. The choice of finding copper tiles and to improve them in order to build some military units are gone.
- In Civ4 you had the choice of trying to connect to early trade routes early in the game, this choice is gone in Civ5.

If anyone has some facts about what has been improved in Civ5 compared to Civ4, please let me know. But unfortunately I can not find much.

I downloaded the demo of Civ5, but am very disappointed. In my view it is not based upon Civ4, and an attempt to improve this game. It is a variation of the old game "Civilization - Test of time."

I agree with all you say. There are less choices in Civ5 compared to Civ4. To your extended list even more can be added. Ex

- workers can not cooperate and work on the same tile.
- Wonders produce very few extra points to produce Great People. Less choices again, not really worth much to make a game concentrating upon Great People.
- In Civ4 Great Generals had several functions. In Civ5 they can only produce Golden Ages (at least during the first 100 moves that was the limit in the Demo).
- Fishes in the ocean can not produce more food when improved by a fishing boat, they only produce some gold. No really point of building fishing boats, at least not in the beginning of the game. Again, less choice. In Civ4 the choice in a coastal town was to build a worker or building a fishing boat to produce more food.
- There is not copper revealed when finishing Bronze working. The choice of finding copper tiles and to improve them in order to build some military units are gone.
- In Civ4 you had the choice of trying to connect to early trade routes early in the game, this choice is gone in Civ5.

If anyone has some facts about what has been improved in Civ5 compared to Civ4, please let me know. But unfortunately I can not find much.

The trade route is another example of a very nice, complex, and versatile aspect in Civ IV that was lost in Civ V (to a simply gold yield for roads connected).

I willd defend the Great GEneral in V, it offers a +25% improvement to battle chances for units 2 tiles away. Warfare is rather nice in Civ V, but having nice features to crush an incompetant rival is rather overkill. If Combat ever improves the Civ V GG is a very nice part.

Food is added to sea tiles with a Lighthouse, the fishing boat offers a gold increase. Different but not so bad.

I am a little puzzled at the lack of Copper and copper-based military. I am open minded enough to say good-bye to axemen, but I see no good reason why that was done????

Is it really that bad?

Well i hope it gets fixed then...

At least try the demo, that's what I did anyway.
I like that madscientist has a very well balanced (if still negative) opinion of the game. I played the demo and found it a competent Civ experience, if a bit lacking in certain areas. Frankly I'm just tired of all the people writing the game off as worthless, I hope in a few months it's not the "in" thing to do anymore. :sad:

I think I will go back to Civ V, but not for a good long while.

On the positive note I like the hexagon maps, single military unit/tile, ranged warfare, city culture expansion, and social policytree. There is much potential here.

On the bad side,

1) Diplomacy is boring and one dimensional. 95% of the time it's staying away from close borders, at which time the best of friends will attack.

2) Leader are basically the same with little difference. Might as well have fictional leaders, me against the red team, blue team etc...

3) The Ai stinks at offensive and defensive warfare. Building anything that helps military like a barracks is a waste.

4) The tech tree is mind-numbing boring.

5) City States at first were interesting but ended up dull and irrelevant (except they fought better than the AI).

6) Happiness is the most stupidly simplified thing in the game. Each Happy resource (and there a lot) give 5 happy faces spread empire wise. Why these cannot be split into something more like military resources (3 here, 2 there, etc) and alter the happiness aspect is beyond me. Why building do not work this also is beyond me (the Monestary and Mint are the only interesting buildings).

7) Golden Ages are good and bad. I like the numerous ways to get them and the advantages, but frankly it's way too easy to abuse them and keep the game in a continual Golden Age later in the game.

8) Great People are less "Impressive" meaning they do less, and I miss my zealotish Prophets. While it may appear nice to seperate the GP pathes, playing the percentages in Civ IV is missed. On the positive side here, GPS are just as valuable later in the game in V than in IV.

9) I miss the choices and late game changing aspects of Espionage and Corporations.

11) World Wonder seam soso and NAtional Wonders stink. NAtural Wonders seamed like a great idea but fell flat.

Unfortunately the above list of my complaints seam like major issues to repair, not simple patches. I understand the game is different, but it's a step back. The new features do NOT offset the gains.

Still, I will keep trying Civ V as it's patched.
Agree with a lot of this also about the positives:

1) indeed a huge step back
2)
They're probably different and there probably is a diplo model in place as Duckweed points out in his Walkthrough on the CiV forum. But you don't see anything of it in the diplo screen.

3) It's awful indeed
4) Not totally sure here, need to play more than 4 games to know.
5) I actually like the idea of city states, maritime should be rebalanced though. Also the Ai sucks again here as they don't compete in buying the states. Huge amounts of gold the ais have on immortal but i'm the one allied with almost all of them.

6) I like the happiness model as it is but your suggestion would make it more interesting still. There are maybe more buildings than in Civ4 but they all seem to give 15-25% on something or a fixed numeric output. Buildings in Civ4 seem to be more interesting but also here more playing on my part is needed.

7) I haven't been able to to that with the golden ages. As an expander my happy is always low so i don't get more than the first GA + the one for adopting rationalism

8)Agree, academy isn't that great. And 1 GS always gives 1 tech, i think that should be scaled like in civ4 but unlike civ4 where you could only shave 1-2 turns off a tech late game i think it should be a bit more.

9) Don't miss them as much probably since my play style doesn't really adapt to them, they were almost always more of an afterthought.

10) Cottages were a great idea in Civ4 really making for though choices in tile improvements, big step down indeed. On the other hand i always thought irrigated corns with 6 food output excessive, CiV is more balanced in that respect imo.

11) Agree on World wonders, not worth building unless you ran out of all other options

Atm Civ5 ,while interesting the first few games, has too many flaws atm so i think i'll quit for a while too hoping to return later (as i think there is potential in it)

Problem for me, i have played civ4 so much the past 5 years that is still don't think of going back, maybe it's time to try some mods like FFH2. So i'm actually playing SMAC and Heroes of might V now.

@obsolete short and to the point comment as always :lol:.

Is it really that bad?

Well i hope it gets fixed then...

I believe that yes, it is that bad (at this time).

My hopes were very high and I didnt think any way possible the game would disappoint.
Everyone associated with me know that Civ V was coming out and I was beside myself with anticipation.

My first playthrough I was bored and uninterested. I was still telling myself I liked the game and I was just missing something... gave the game another shot and it was still boring to me. Only played for another hour, just 2 days after it came out. havent touched it since.
On my first playthrough I rolled the game on a harder difficulty than the one I cannot win on in Civ IV,

It seems like more and more Civvers are growing bored and unsatisfied with Civ V.

On the other hand, there are still many who enjoy the game immensely.

Personally, I think the game is absolute crap. I wouldnt play it even if there werent such thing as Civ I - IV. I wish I was being "fashionable"

and ftr I loved Civ III and Civ IV Vanilla on release.

I played CiV with another guy yesterday (which largely consisted of him running the game on his computer and me yelling at him to do vague things) and we beat Emperor.

Considering neither of us had played the game before, and did not even understand the new roading system at first, that's pretty outrageous.

My plan is to work my way up to Emperor on Civ4, and by then CiV will be balanced and I'll switch. <_<

Top Bottom