Revamping the Constitution.

Octavian X

is not a pipe.
As we all know, we have approved donsig's suggestion for a form of government. For those who have forgotting, this was his proposal:
------------------------------------------------
My proposal is to use a revamped Fanatikan constitution. The Fanatikan constitution is a good one all in all and it is not designed to be used only by warmongers. It was used in Phoenatica which was generally a peaceful nation.
The constitution does have flaws though and should be revamped to make it fit the PBEM game play style. I have looked over each article of the constitution and propose these changes to use as the basis of our government. Note that we would not use the Fanatikan CoL or CoS! Here is my proposed constitution. Text in italics are notes and not part of the constitution.
Article A: All Civfanatics Forum users who register in the Citizen Registry are citizens of insert our counrtry name here subject to the approval of the Judiciary. Citizens have the right to assemble, the right to free movement, the right to free speech, the right to a fair trial, the right to representation, the right to demand satisfaction and the right to vote.
Article B: Governing rules shall consist of the Articles of the Constitution, the Code of Laws and the Code of Standards. No laws shall be passed that conflict with an article and no standards shall be used that conflict with a law or an article.
We do not need a CoL or CoS to start. It is a good idea to leave this article in place as it will allow us to make rules and standards if we find we need some.
Article C: The government will consist of the Executive Branch, Legislative Branch and Judicial Branch.
Article D: The Executive Branch is headed by the President, who shall be the designated player of the game, and shall include a council of leaders, each of whom heads a department that is responsible for one major facet of the country. These departments are Domestic, Foreign, Military, Science, Culture and Trade. Each of these departments will be generally responsible for the items found under the respective Advisor in the Civilization III game and esoteric aspects that fall under their department name. Provincial Governors shall be responsible for the care, management and use of the cities and lands of a province. Ambassadors shall be responsible for conducting our relations with a foreign power.
I would do away with deputies, including the vice president. This article would not prevent us from subordinating one department to another. I would organize the government in this way: make the domestic and foreign departments into mega-deprtments. These two ministers would be the ones who report directly to the president. The science and military leaders and governors would report to the domestic leader. The culture and trade leaders and our ambassadors would report to the foreign minister. This way all turn instructions would be given by only two people making things much easier. Since we only play one turn at a time we only need instructions for one turn. We can institute a chain of command in each of our mega-departments.
Article E: The Legislative Branch shall consist of the Congress. The Congress will be formed of the entirety of the citizenry.
Article F: The Judicial Branch will be formed of three leaders, one who is tasked with upholding the laws (Judge Advocate), one who is tasked with defending the citizenry (Public Defender) and headed by the Chief Justice.
The JA would be our prosecutor of spies. The Judiciary can be in charge of accepting new citizens or rejecting them.
Article G: All offices will be filled via election with terms lasting according to a fixed schedule based on game years.
We can divide the game into 10 equal terms of 45 turns each and place elections accordingly.
Article H: Game Play Restriction
It is unlawful to play through actions, move troops, make deals or take any other action that would change the state of the playing game from that of the saved game.
Exception: The structure of peace renegotiation treaties requires an action to be taken to view the bargaining possibilities. Specifically, once the deal is broached it must result in a new deal or a declaration of war. Once the bargaining possibilities have been noted the altered game must be immediately closed without saving. Further activity in the altered game is not allowed.
Note the original article H is the one that says a player can hold only one leadership position. I think we can do away with that one. We do need the game play restriction though!
Article I: The average of the number of votes cast in each of the most recent contested elections shall constitute an active census of citizens. The highest vote total of these elections shall constitute a full census (the Congress). A majority of the Congress shall be required to amend the Constitution.
Quorums are done away with.
Article J: Elected officials must plan and act according to the will of the people.
Article K: The constitution, laws and standards of Fanatika can never be contrary to the rules and regulations of the Civfanatics forums. Moderators may veto any such constitutional amendments, laws or standards.
The original article K stipulated that we have public turn chats. That should be done away with. Since we only play one turn a report from the president about actions taken should be enough. Trying to schedule turn chats would slow the game. The President must be able to carry out the instructions and play the turn quickly so it can be sent off to the next team.
Using this constitution gives us flexibility to organize things the way we see fit. If we can adopt this constitution then we'd need to set our terms and get our first election underway.
We also have to figure out how department leaders are going to get access to the save.
---------------------------------------------

That in mind, I propose the following:

The Constitution (for the CFC's Civ3 MSDG)

Article A: All Civfanatics Forum users who register in the Citizen Registry are citizens of insert our counrtry name here subject to the approval of the Judiciary. Citizens have the right to assemble, the right to free movement, the right to free speech, the right to a fair trial, the right to representation, the right to demand satisfaction and the right to vote.

Article B: Governing rules shall consist of the Articles of the Constitution, the Code of Laws and the Code of Standards. No laws shall be passed that conflict with an article and no standards shall be used that conflict with a law or an article.

Article C: The government will consist of the Executive Branch, Legislative Branch and Judicial Branch.

Article D: The Executive Branch is headed by the President, who shall be the designated player of the game. Directly below the President shall be the Domestic and Foreign Affairs Leaders. The Science and Military Leader shall report directly to the Domestic Leader, and the Culture and Trade Leaders shall report to the Foreign Affairs Leader. Each of these leaders will be generally responsible for the items found under the respective Advisor in the Civilization III game and esoteric aspects that fall under their department name.

Article E: The Legislative Branch shall consist of the Congress and the Senate. The Congress will be formed of the entirety of the citizenry. The Senate shall be formed of the Provincial Governors, who shall be responsible for the care, management and use of the cities and lands of a province.

Article F: The Judicial Branch will be formed of three leaders, one who is tasked with upholding the laws (Judge Advocate), one who is tasked with defending the citizenry (Public Defender) and headed by the Chief Justice. It shall be the main responsibility of the Judiciary to admit citizens into the game who shall have joined after February 16, 2003.

Article G: All offices will be filled via election with terms lasting according to a fixed schedule based on game years. Terms shall be divided into 10 equal terms of 45 turns each and place elections accordingly.

Article H: It is unlawful to play through actions, move troops, make deals or take any other action that would change the state of the playing game from that of the saved game.
Exception: The structure of peace renegotiation treaties requires an action to be taken to view the bargaining possibilities. Specifically, once the deal is broached it must result in a new deal or a declaration of war. Once the bargaining possibilities have been noted the altered game must be immediately closed without saving. Further activity in the altered game is not allowed.

Article I: The average of the number of votes cast in each of the most recent contested elections shall constitute an active census of citizens. The highest vote total of these elections shall constitute a full census (the Congress). A majority of the Congress shall be required to amend the Constitution.

Article J: Elected officials must plan and act according to the will of the people.

Article K: The constitution, laws and standards of Fanatika can never be contrary to the rules and regulations of the Civfanatics forums. Moderators may veto any such constitutional amendments, laws or standards

---------------

The above is more or less a summary of what donsig proposed. This is my own idea.

Article L. Both the Foreign Affairs Leader and President may appoint Ambassadors to represent (name) to foreign powers. Both President and Foreign Affairs Leader are de-facto ambassadors. Appointments to Ambassador positions require the approval of the Senate.

I dont agree. Ambassadors were to be elected in the Constitution Donsig and I agreed to.

Elect ambassadors. I don't want someone underqualified going to Apolyton.

LOL! I speak french and german.

The proposal looks fine to me, so long as ambassadors are elected. We could always use the article L idea for filling abandoned positions. It could even be extended to allow the domestic leader and president the ability to appoint governors if we lose any. This could prove important since it looks like we're going without deputies.

Yes, I say elect the ambassadors, too. Let's get this thing changed and voted on, please.

I do think we should keep the de facto ambassadors, just in case we are unable to elect someone. My goal was to allow for a quick appointment, but everyone has a point. How 'bout...

Article L. Both President and Foreign Affairs Leader are de-facto ambassadors. Regular Ambassadors are elected each term.

Article M. In the event any position other than President becomes vacant in the middle of a term, the President shall appoint a new leader to fill the position. This appointment must be approved by the (Senate or Council). In the event the President vacates his/her position, the domestic leader shall become President, and shall appoint a new leader to be domestic leader. In the event any leader takes a temporary leave of absence, he shall appoint a pro-tempore official to fill that position until the leader shall return.

Notes:
The appointment system would work as it does now, but I wanted to make a role for a Senate. I'd like the Senate to do this to represent how usually (in RL) it is a legislative, rather than executive, body that approves appointees.
I also had though it might be possible to allow the President to only appoint the domestic, FA, and Judicial positions, Domestic only appoints Mil, Sci, and Govs, and FA only appoints Culture, Trade, and ambassadors. But that seemed too complicated at the time...

I think in the event that we are lacking ambassadors, the Foreign Minister should appoint the ambassador, after all, it is his Department ;)

I don't know about Article D... Why does the Military Leader report to the Domestic Leader? Aren't military items typically important to the Foreign aspect of the game? And shouldn't the Culture Leader report to the Domestic, not the Foreign Department?

Verra has a good point: the Military Leader should be to the Foriegn and the Culture to the Domestic department.

Untill we get a representitive goverment in game, the military will be quite frequently used for domestic issues.

Top Bottom