RevDCM for Civ5?

Afforess

The White Wizard
Have any of you (Jdog, Phungus, Glider1) decided if you will continue RevDCM for Civilization 5? I, amongst many others, would love to see Revolutions again in Civ5.

It's a little early to tell what will make sense for Civ5, we don't even really know how 5 will be different than 4. I certainly intend to continue modding in whatever time I have, and I also think that components like BarbarianCiv and Revolution make Civ-style games much more fun. So the odds are pretty good ... but it would be different, rebuilt from the ground up.

I for one hope Firaxis have taken a look at this mod and added BarbarianCiv and Revolution elements into V

Glad you guys like it! As for Civ5, we'll see ... it sure will be interesting to see what's different. The conventional wisdom for sequels is 1/3 new, 1/3 updated, 1/3 the same, and with the change to hexes and the strong hints about combat changes in the press release, I'm not sure how much space there is left for major new gameplay systems.

Of the two, I think it's possible Firaxis will have something in the vein of BarbarianCiv in 5 ... I don't think they're into new civs appearing mid-game, but there was a mechanism in the code for 4 to allow "minor civs." So, I have expect some form of minor powers that fill in space between major powers and create more interesting diplomacy/war options early in the game before the major civs come into conflict. I also think the barbarians will get updated, some way of taking the barb uprising events from BTS and making them more organic/less random.

The odds of some form of civil war/revolution mechanics in vanilla Civ 5 are basically 0 I think ... they might go that way in an expansion, but even there I haven't seen any indication it's on their list. For a developer it probably doesn't seem like a good investment of resources, as they would need to make the system easy and gentle enough not to discourage first time players. Given that most players will only want to deal with revolts occasionally, it probably doesn't seem like the best investment of time for Firaxis. That's my sense.

Yeah I've set up a few forums here marked [CIV5] for further discussions. Would be good if we broke up the discussions into forum topics as much as possible. Perhaps a new forum can be setup once Civ5 is properly up and running?

From the sound of it, with religion and espionage chopped, we have a big job ahead of us.

From Sid's GDC keynote address via Shacknews:

Meier also wanted to have each player go through a rise and fall in a playthrough of Civ. Once the player got to a certain point, something would happen that would cause their leader to fall from power. Then, the player would have to rise up from the ashes and achieve even greater things than before the fall. Instead, most players just reloaded a previous save game to try and avoid the fall. The concept was scrapped.

So, the original vision for civ included having the player rebuild from some form of empire collapse ... thought that was quite interesting :)

Sid's point is totally valid but only from his perspective of wanting to make the best game for the most players.....

The rise and fall of civs! Yes Jdog and Sid do think alike most likely, but Sid has to sell games it seems.....

Keep on the quality work that is in Revolutions. Forget about the masses. That is Sid's problem.....

The only thing the Revolutions mod has to do, is to try and create a positive experience and a positive thought in the players mind right at the point of revolt. If it is positive, they won't reload. A revolt has to appear to the player to allow for the possibility of even greater reward if the revolt is dealt with....

However the revolutions mod doesn't have to appeal to the majority anyway. It just has to appeal to Jdog, and the rest of us will like it too :)

Cheers

I also look forward to Jdog and crew to have the next iteration of Revolutions in Civ5. When you guys make the mod, i'll buy the game then ;)

Also, is there any plans to have a Better AI mod for Civ5?

I know many in the forums think the AI could really use a tweaking. BBAI is just awesome, combined with Rev, it just makes the game so much more dynamic and fun.

I hope you guys will strongly consider doing both Better AI and Revolution mods for Civ5.

Thank you guys for the awesome mods for Civ4 by the way. Makes making the wait for Civ5 to improve much more tolerable. :D

Top Bottom