1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Revealing Stealthy Units with Scouts

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Victoria, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Sometimes we just miss the obvious, even when it is written in front of us. Not sure who else was aware/not aware but a scout can see all stealth units in range.
    Sometimes I am such a noob.

upload_2020-10-17_20-22-48.png

2. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

A lot of invisible units belong to the Naval Raider class, while the Recon units usually operate on land.

Also, when Naval Raider class come online - that's mid-game, I suppose - most of the Recon units had probably already killed themselves on a barb camp 50 turns earlier.

3. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

Would have been fun if the scout units themselves were also stealthy units from the start. We could play hide and seek with barbarians. :mischief:

4. criZp

criZp Emperor

Spy too. About equally useful.

5. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

Recon class units do have an invisible promotion (Camouflage), but it is deep in the promotion tree and Recon units are too easy to be killed. If move that promotion a bit early it can be quite useful.

In general, the Recon class units are just too fragile, especially compare to Civ5 (the Survivalism trait).

Zaarin, Hakan-i Cihan and Meluhhan like this.
  6. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

I know this but I don't find it very useful. I wish there were more stealth land units.

7. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Guess that explains why my raiders keep getting attacked by barbarians.

Galvatron and 8housesofelixir like this.
  8. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Is it ability still effective on sea? So we don't need destroyers, just scouts, do we?

9. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Scouts have a visibility of 2 tiles unless you get the vision promotion. Sonar scouts.
    I’ll try it out later when I get a chance.

nzcamel and 8housesofelixir like this.
  10. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

What land units are stealthy?

11. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Warlord

There's a promotion for Warrior Monks that gives stealth , and another for Soothsayers I think. Nihang have unique promotions too but don't recall a stealth one.

It's funny I only just noticed this ability on scout units in the last couple of weeks as well.

nzcamel and hhhhhh like this.
  12. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Recon lvl.4 promotion, and warrior monk lvl.1 promotion.

You cannot see enemy spies, however spies are not considered "stealthy" and cannot be revealed by scouts.

KyivanRusCivPlease likes this.
  13. Chekko

Chekko Chieftain

Would be something if there were more stealth units like Snipers (a new unit on its own) or ways to sneak in forests/jungles. Submarines are the only stealth unit I can think of and that Scout promotion. There should be more. And with the Submarine being a naval unit it would be more useful if the seaport had some sort of radar building or if the Drone got experience from its stacked ranged unit and had promotions to detect nearby stealth units.

14. Galvatron

Galvatron Warlord

Harvestmen, Reapers and Dread Knights. The entire Dominator promotion class too.

15. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

OK, I know I'm a wimpy player but so what? I'd like to see scout promotions come much faster so they can beef up enough to survive to end game. Yes, there's a policy for that but it uses up a military slot which is too precious to waste most times. Scouts, unlike combat units, are typically constantly practicing their craft by just moving around exploring. Their "learning rate" should be correspondingly higher. Combat units train, sure, but are not usually engaged in combat non-stop.

16. Vargas1

Vargas1 Chieftain

I agree that there should be more ways for scouts to gain exp. I’d like to see some combo of the following:
    • Exp for meeting civs and city-states
    • Exp for each type of new terrain or new feature entered
    • A small amount of exp for each military unit found (not fighting, just seeing it for the first time)

17. criZp

criZp Emperor

I'd personally prefer if scouts didn't use xp at all, just let them start with the faster terrain crossing and perhaps stealth thing (thought I'm not sure stealth actually works for the AI)

Galvatron likes this.
  18. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

I think if the stealth ability is available from the beginning it can cause problem in finding other civs, as the player or the AI may not see each other's scouts because both are invisible. Keep it as a second level promotion would be fine.

19. KyivanRusCivPlease

KyivanRusCivPlease Prince

Also, the Soothsayer unit in the Apocalypse Game Mode, after the "Inquisitor" promotion.

20. Galvatron

Galvatron Warlord

Maybe similar to the GDR certain techs enable it to ignore terrain penalties... or give bonuses maybe horse riding gives them a horse.

I believe you misread the title post in this thread, sir.