1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Review Roundup

Discussion in 'Starships' started by rkade8583, Mar 11, 2015.

?

Your thoughts on Starships:

1. Buy!

45.8%
  2. Don't Buy!

39.6%
  3. Other! (Please Elaborate In Thread!)

14.6%
  1. rkade8583

rkade8583 Realism Invictus Player

4/5 Twinfinite
    4/5 PC World
    Shacknews
    4/5 The Examiner
    7/10 PCGamesN
    6.9/10 Multiplayer.it (Italian)

Recommended Eurogamer
    Pocket Gamer
    8/10 Softpedia
    The Verge
    Gamezebo
    Financial Post (Arcade)
    Travelers Today
    6.5 IGN
    4/5 The Guardian
    7/10 LazyGamer
    7/10 Game Informer

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I intend to buy it tomorrow, but then it is quite cheap to me. If it were full price, I would be more hesitant.

3. Callonia

Callonia Chieftain

I'm pretty sure it will be stripped down and super basic like CivBE. At least, it might be actually worth the 15 dollars unlike 50 dollars for civbe.

4. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Black Queen

what kind of stale shade

5. Hail

Hail Satan's minion

I am pretty sure that Starships will be moar fun than civ:be. both titles lack replayability.

however, Starships cost three times less!

6. calad

calad Chieftain

I cant really see how this game could be good after civ5 and BE.

Online reviews are rigged as hell, they say what they are paid for.

7. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Wat. :confused:

There are plenty of balanced or even negative game reviews out there.

8. rkade8583

I just figured I'd put all of them up so people could make their own decisions. Besides, do you really think Firaxis has the kind of money and lack of morals to pay for good reviews of a budget title?

9. Hail

Hail Satan's minion

previewer may not be directly paid. things are more subtle. like, those that write a bad preview, may not get a preview copy of the next same publisher/developer game. ;)

10. rkade8583

I never thought I'd see the day where I'd be getting bashed for just putting up reviews. I haven't even put my review up because I'm just a pleb who doesn't have the game yet. Unbiased linkposting for people to peruse is worth getting bashed?

I mean I'm in the weeds. I know how corrupt journalism can be but not every single review round-up thread has to devolve into it, right?

11. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

I appreciate the effort you're putting into this thread, I hope you keep it up. I for one am looking forward to playing.

12. rkade8583

Thanks. Normally, I wouldn't put the effort in but I noticed there wasn't much play on this forum (the steam forum on the other hand...) so I thought I'd be helpful.

13. DocRock

DocRock Chieftain

14. rkade8583

I will repost what I put on the steam forum:

That being said, I'm not adding videos because I have a life. Linkposting is easy work. Sitting through videos, most of which are subpar, is not something I have an interest in.

15. Fr33lanc3r

Fr33lanc3r Chieftain

I'm going to give it a little bit, it looks like it'll be at least a few hours of fun, which is what I expect from a $15 game.

And the reason I'm giving it a bit is that I'm still unable to play BE on my machine, which is above the recommended specs in every way, but a DX11/Win7 bug is failing the game out. I want to see any technical issues that may arise before I throw money at them on something built off the same engine/engine changes as BE.

16. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Angry Joe's video was dreadfully bad. He did not know what he was doing and played atrociously. I would not trust it to give you a fair review of the game.

17. rkade8583

You mean the guy who dressed up like an astronaut and mangled Sid Meier's surname didn't know his... mouth from a whole in the ground as it pertained to the game? I'm shocked! :p

18. DocRock

DocRock Chieftain

Whatever... AJ is the only show on Youtube I watch regularly and his reviews are always spot-on. He was a really big fan of BNW and is always promoting strategy games like Total War heavily. I trust his reviews way more than those of the "press". Why? Because I play a lot of games and in 99% of the times, I would have done the same review that he did.

Especially with games that are hyped like BE. I think he gave it at a 5 or 6 out of 10. While everyone was throwing 90s at it.

Be a fanboi if you have to, I stick to objective reviews. And actually that wasn't even a review, it was a "first impressions" let's play.

19. NASAROG

NASAROG Chieftain

Angry Joe tends to be spot on, costumes or not. We are all playing video games at the end of the day. If he wants to wear a costume while doing it... more power to him.

20. Fr33lanc3r

Fr33lanc3r Chieftain

No one has claimed fanboi'dom, you're labeling, reviews were posted here, what you do with them is up to you.

I will agree with rkade8583, the video wasn't put together well. Whether it's first impressions or not, mispronouncing Sid's name is kinda a non-starter on taking his review in any seriousness. Post edits are a good thing, unless it was directly pulled from a livestream that he did there's not a great excuse. But, again, discussing whether we like the video you posted is really kinda off the topic at hand.

Taking which mag it is into account is key. GI hardly ever gives below an 8, even if they thought the game was poo-on-toast. PC world, I've seen very few 3's or lower, again, even if it's a steaming pile. But the negatives and positives are relatively consistant no matter the scores it looks like it's gotten from the big review groups. So really, it's interesting to see the differentiation in what companies consider a 6, or an 8, since the positives and negatives are so similar.