Revised Mongols, Jurchens, and Other Civs

I like the Xianbei over the Jurchen because they spawn earlier, they can spawn in Beijing, and their core reaches from the Yangtze to Korea. Of course the civs should be called Yan -> Wei and Jin -> Qing. Or just China 2.

Can the Jurchens just use the Mongol's civ-slot (like the Italians or the Iranians) and spawn in the 16/17th Century as the Manchu / Qing?
I mean, the Mongols won't do anything interesting after they lose their conquests, so they might as well revert to Barb spawns.

The Qing conquest would collapse (or at least destabilize) Ming China in case it gets too strong and out of control. Qing would have its time of prosperity, but later on Western and Japanese Conquerors would harass it to its death, and China proper would eventually respawn as the Nationalists (or perhaps as the Taiping rebels).
What's left of Qing could represent the Beiyang Warlords or the Fentiang Clique, and obviously Manchukuo as a Japanese Vassal.

Can the Jurchens just use the Mongol's civ-slot (like the Italians or the Iranians) and spawn in the 16/17th Century as the Manchu / Qing?

No, Iranian and other similar respawns reusing a slot is a type of kludge that is going to be rendered obsolete by a new system where civs are not tied to slots. Afaik, this new system is something that Leoreth is planning to do soon-ish.

Still think adding the Jurchens/Manchurians is a good idea, would add so much flavor and intensity to the NE Asian region.

I don't think anyone disagrees.

Xiongnu/Xianbei can be its own civ independent from the Mongols, like how the Turks are an independent civ from the Ottomans. They should be strong enough to threaten all but the most skilled (youtien) China players.

Pre-600AD China lacks credible foreign threats to contain them. Compare this with say, Greece, Persia, or even India. Rome has plenty of credible foreign threats, but can similarly benefit from the introduction of a Celts/Gaul civ.

Alternatively there can be more abundant Indie/Native/Barb spawns (similar to current representation of Celts/Gaul), but I doubt such half-measures will be enough in the long run.

I know very few grand strategy games where one can play a completely isolated civ (such as Maya) and still face an interesting challenge. Usually the best challenge are military and diplomatic, coming from foreign threats. China may be the one instance where DoC follows the rule instead of being exceptional.

Last edited:
Pre-600AD China lacks credible foreign threats to contain them.
What? Northern horse archers and Tibetian swordsmen plus a couple of elephants from the south are not enough for you?
China is more challenging until 1000AD or so, not after that.

What? Northern horse archers and Tibetian swordsmen plus a couple of elephants from the south are not enough for you?
China is more challenging until 1000AD or so, not after that.

With the Great Wall, these units are all pretty easy to deal with.
Enemy civs are more dangerous for China than some barbarians.

Top Bottom