1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Revival Idea: Medieval RPG

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game III: RPG' started by Octavian X, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

This is just a weird thought I had...

I've really noticed that the largest difference between this RPG and the last was the fact that the last one didn't depend so much on realism. We practically jumps to the era of knights in the last game, while we stuck to historical accuracy here.

In my opinion, the attempts at realism were plain BORING. Yes, it's nice to accurately live out a history with multiple characters living to the technology of their time. But, playing through the ancient ages is just time-consuming, and rather dull.

I propose just dropping our attempts to play out real life, and simply set up the game from the beginning as a medieval one, this time allowing people to buy their own tiles once again, so they can form their one empires.

Thoughts?

2. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I think that would be too easy. To exacting to the wants of the people. Too fun to play. Can't we try something harder and more confusing? :lol: j/k I like the idea.

But make it very early Medieval.

3. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Im not very fond of playing in the medivel era.

4. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Deity

I'll my two cents for the first time in a few months...
    I like this idea. Honestly, the only fun period in this game is late Ancient to early Industrial, including the entire Middle Ages. Therefore, I believe we should just skip early antiquity, and never enter the Late Industrial Age (WWII.)

The glory days of any RPG is the Age of Chivalry.

5. Civanator

Civanator Deity

When most people think of an RPG, they think mostly of the late ancient to lat middle ages. RPG's aren't terribly fun when you bring in guns. Mostly Medieval Era is what people want, and it is most fun.

6. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

While I have always wanted to try the "historical accuracy" route, its no secret that the best part of the DG2 RPG were the knightings and tournaments(although the Stock Market and Acroama Homes were nice twists ;) ). It was the first thing that drew me into this site, so for me it was especially cool.

Once we upgraded to Cavalry and discovered Nationalism, there was definitely a huge dip in participation. Then again, the mass exodus could also be attributed to Shaitan's departure. And as much as I would love to try to build an RPG that would rival his, I really don't think any of us have the time or inclination to do so. I am pretty sure that I don't. :(

7. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

I think we can agree, that for any RPG here to be sucessful, we need Shaitan, or someone similarly driven to keep our world together.

Still, I think it's worth one more try.

8. Shabbaman

Shabbaman rebuffing the rebels

Well oct, I agree and disagree a bit with you. I think that we were pretty historically accurate at the beginning. I mean, I once even bought a club for crying out loud!
    You're right that with nationalism the rpg died. But if dg4 starts that'd mean that we'd have a month or two to discuss what we're going to do by then. What I think was the greatest problem with the rpg was that it was difficult for new players to enter. Not signing up, but really participating. I think the tiles ownership system was the problem here. Of course everybody wanted to become a nobleman, but once you'd accumulated a certain wealth it could only become more wealth. So you got more land. The distribution of tiles was good (random, new guys got first pick) but what you really needed were consecutive tiles. So I think it'd be good that you can't participate in the land grant if you got a certain amount of consecutive tiles. This'd result in a greater number of players with consecutive tiles.

My 2 cents.