1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Revolution "In Rainbows"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by WerBackIII, May 7, 2008.

1. WerBackIII

WerBackIII Jar of the Rotting Brain

Do you know what this is?

This is the last.fm top artists charts for the week in which Radiohead's "In Rainbows" was released. As we can see the new download selling method worked well for Radiohead, positioning them on the first place in the charts. They have 3,308,175 plays, while the second artist - The Beatles, have 844,600 plays. Remember, we're talking about weekly plays, for this week, not for all the plays on this artist. 118,836 people had listened to this artist in that week. That makes around 27 songs on a listener for the week. As we know, the album was released on 10th of October, so the songs from the album were listened in 4 days by 120,000 people, 27 times by any listener. If we take out the week before "In Rainbows" Radiohead plays (805,049 plays), we get 2,503,126 plays. We can say, that around 95% of them are from the new album.

So what do we get? 2,503,126 plays for the new album of Radiohead in 4 days. That's nice, really nice.

OK, but what do we have now? 98,431 listeners, 1,015,126 plays for the last week. Well, that's a huge number of listeners and plays for an album that came out half an year ago, isn't it?

Some people predicted that Radiohead will leave the first place after an year or so. And most of the scrobbles will be from their last album. The only chance left for the other artists is to release a good album with the same releasing format as "In Rainbows". And hope that Radiohead will not release a new album in year or so.

All this fact make some questions pop up in my head.

First, did this ensured a place among the music giants like Pink Floyd and Beatles for Radiohead?

Surely, fans will answer "Yes", haters: "No". For me it is most likely "Yes".

Second, and more important question, is Did this album started a musical industry revolution?

It is clearly visible that the music bussiness as we know it today dies. The Stadium Rock Dinosaurs are being replased by commercial bands (I won't give examples because of trollers). Hip Hop and Rap stars are being murdered by gangsta rap, Pop music is not anymore underground. The Punk now is not a protest but a nice background for skating. Ofcourse, there is still good music, but it is not that much promoted.

And because of this Radiohead decided to make a self release of their latest album. "In Rainbows" was a succes. It forces bands to release their records in more original ways. And by the download way, Radiohead can be sure that all the money will go for them. And not for pseudopromoters and grumpy deskmen. That's what all bands want - to promote their music good and win money from this. Which is good. The Old Music Industry (Let's call her TOMI, or Tomy) promoted the albums bad, enough only to get the money and pay the artist. Tomy is greedy. And music doesn't like greedy music promoters: it causes some pseudomusic bands to be created (Dimmu Borgir, for example, OK?). And this causes overpopulating the world with one culture. Or 2-3 in the best situation.

I think that "In Rainbows" just changed this, by making a new way to broadcast music and fairly win from that, while not being greedy. I don't know your opinion. But I'm simply curious to find out what it is.

2. DNK

DNK Member

It wasn't released a year ago, it was released half a year ago. Bit of a difference.

Radiohead will probably be remembered for some time to come. Even if they're not as revolutionary as Pink Floyd, they're still the closest mainstream modern equivalent to PF, imo. I would have a hard time finding another English-speaking band in a similar genre as popular as Radiohead.

I personally liked Radiohead's approach, as I stated in a very previous post to this. There were multiple readily available levels of consumption, from free downloads of limited quality, to a one-disc CD-quality, to a two-disc with vinyl, etc.

What is the statistical importance of last.fm again?

Radiohead got lucky because it was already famous. That's what allowed them to have a very successful (not sure, but I'm assuming) release - they had a huge fan base already formed. This came about from a decade or so of being on a major label. Without that they would have been another no-name, niche band, with limited sales and influence.

A helluva lot of people still watch MTV and VH1 and get their cues on music from mainstream media. So long as this remains the case, large promoters and labels will be necessary, because it is still a major business.

My understanding was that merchandise sales and touring were the way that major bands make most of their money now, so I'm not sure that touring is going to go away anytime soon.

Recognize that this release was just another excellent marketing ploy, that only worked because of the previously garnered reputation and fan base. Stating that this will require other bands to come up with more ingenious ways of releasing albums is like saying they need better PR guys - I don't see how it fundamentally changes the landscape, save that the focus is shifting to digital sales, in this respect.

The nature of the music business today may be changing, I don't know, but I don't see it in your post.

3. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

First i'd like to point out that lastfm isnt that important; and by looking at it's top 20 from your link ... christ what bands ...

Second, In Rainbows sucks but that's not the point of the thread. :D

Third, Dimmu Borgir has some great songs but that's not the point of the thread either. :D

Anyway, i think that's good for relatively known bands. But yeah i think it might be hard on the obscure bands. Time will tell.

4. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

It only works as a market ploy from an already famous band.

There are trillions of new bands offering their music for free...

5. Elta

Elta 我不会把这种

@ OP
    I dunno, like it has been said, there are lots of bands trying to get their music out there.

Radio stations have to listen 100s of new songs a day if that was how music was distributed.

What if there was a company that reviewed albums first then sent out the new tracks to radio stations world wide that they thought would actually play the song - !If they thought they were at least decent!

A top drawer company could ask for 10,000 a review or something like that. Make album - use company to get on radio - Tour and actually get all of the money you should get from touring ......
    we could be living in a brave new world ....

Or not >.<

6. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

I remember from a few years when I first joined up with Last.fm the most played artist was Radiohead with their album OK Computer.

7. dannyshenanigan

dannyshenanigan Emperor

Let me add that Radiohead may be my favorite band, and I thought In Rainbows was very good. OK Computer was a rock masterpeice, but then to completely reinvent themselves and release the electronic Kid A, that in my opinion surpassed anything they've done is a feat few bands have accomplished.

Radiohead did have the advantage of being well known in the first place, so it may not work for everyone; unless if more people found music like me.
    The way I find music is not through the radio, or MTV like the old days but word of mouth and various music forums. Myspace as juvenile as it may be is a nice way to sample new and obscure artists.
    It would be a nice world to live in if artists were able to be successful releasing music themselves with no record companies.

8. Nylan

Nylan Characters Welcome

In Rainbows didn't start a releasing format revolution, but a few other artists have taken inspiration from the same general idea. Nine Inch Nails, for example, has done pretty well with Ghosts I-IV, which is also an independent release, although from a different approach.

It's already been said, but yes this can work well for artists who are already established, but for smaller artists it's hard because there are so many that it's hard to stand out without some sort of reputation or name recognition. Of course, good music will do very well in the indie circles, but in order to break mainstream you need people to download your album simply because its your album. Sad, but true.