Revolution, Reaction, Reform

Yui108

Deity
I'm going to try and create an entry into this national history competition for high-school students. It seems pretty permissive as far as medium goes, and the subject matter can be anything affiliated to the thread title, Revolution, Reaction, or Reform. I think I'm going to go with a paper, as I am hopeless as far as art goes. Unfortunately in the paper you are limited to 1500-2500 words. That doesn't include footnotes or bibliography, but it is still short. The fun part here is picking a subject, and this is where I'd like some advice. I definitely want to go with something more obscure, but I'm having trouble thinking of something interesting, related to the theme, and with an abundance of sources (this competition seems to place an emphasis on primary sources). Some ideas I've had so far
  • The Dutch Patriot attempted revolution of the 1780's, or the Polish revolution.
  • The German Peasant's War
  • This one is a stretch, and I am more unfamiliar with it, but I thought an
    analysis of the Yuan reforms and changes made after taking power would be interesting.
  • The Decembrist plot of 1825 in Russia
  • The Jewish revolts in 1st century Palestine
  • If I were feeling ambitious, I could write on the Arab Spring, revolutions or reactions.
  • The Capetian/Borboun reaction/reform in France after the fall of Napoleon.

I'm short on reactions and reforms. If anyone can suggest primary sources that's also great. English is my first and only fluent language, but I could struggle through a Spanish text if necessary. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance.

What tk said, otherwise I might go with one of the Peasant Wars in Germany (like you listed) or the English Civil War. The ECW might be easiest as far as primary sources go because you will be able to read the primary sources in English, rather then relying on a translator.

Ottoman Constitutional Revolution.

What tk said, otherwise I might go with one of the Peasant Wars in Germany (like you listed) or the English Civil War. The ECW might be easiest as far as primary sources go because you will be able to read the primary sources in English, rather then relying on a translator.

You're referring to the 1908 Young Turk Revolution? Sounds really interesting, and seems to be neither too obscure nor mainstream. Thanks, I'm definitely going to look into it further.

If you want something that's well-researched but has very little written about it, you could write about Yeltsin's coup in the Russian Federation. I'd never heard of it until a few days ago, despite living through it. The media outside of Russia just completely glossed it over, because Yeltsin was their boy.

Of the ones you mentioned, I find the Jewish revolts the most interesting. The problem is that the main source is Josephus, and he became more biased towards Vespasian and Titus as time went by.

You could write something about the 1905 Russian Revolution. It has something for everyone.
Revolution? That's why it's in the name!
Reaction? You bet there was a reactionary backlash from the Russian government! The Fundamental Laws in particular can be of focus.
Reform? Reforms were made as concessions - such as the creation of the Duma. These reforms were mostly renegaded on via the Fundamental Laws passed in '06, but would still keep the revolutionary (and counter-revolutionary!) ball rolling come the 1917 events!

You might want to interprete the revolution thing generously and write about the neolithic or the industrial revolution, which both changed human history more then anything else.

You might want to interprete the revolution thing generously and write about the neolithic or the industrial revolution, which both changed human history more then anything else.

There's a wealth of primary sources on the reaction and reforms due to the Industrial Revolution in particular. You can focus on a particular country: Britain, US, countries in the second wave of the Industrial Revolution like Russia or Japan, or newly industrialised countries like China.

Arab Spring :mischief:

If you want something that's well-researched but has very little written about it, you could write about Yeltsin's coup in the Russian Federation. I'd never heard of it until a few days ago, despite living through it. The media outside of Russia just completely glossed it over, because Yeltsin was their boy.

Of the ones you mentioned, I find the Jewish revolts the most interesting. The problem is that the main source is Josephus, and he became more biased towards Vespasian and Titus as time went by.

That's another good idea. Are you referring to his 1993 coup to expand presidential powers? There is a whole wealth of great stuff associated with the fall of the Soviet Union.

But surely something as well-known and documented as Jewish revolts would likely have various secondary sources decoding and analyzing the biases of Josephus, wouldn't they? Also as a bonus, I have a copy of Josephus with me.

You could write something about the 1905 Russian Revolution. It has something for everyone.
Revolution? That's why it's in the name!
Reaction? You bet there was a reactionary backlash from the Russian government! The Fundamental Laws in particular can be of focus.
Reform? Reforms were made as concessions - such as the creation of the Duma. These reforms were mostly renegaded on via the Fundamental Laws passed in '06, but would still keep the revolutionary (and counter-revolutionary!) ball rolling come the 1917 events!

Russia is quite the fertile ground for this project! I think the period fits well too, and it seems unlikely it would be replicated. I know jack-squat about any of this stuff too, and that's something of a con but that could be surmounted

A good idea, but I don't know if I could do any of these justice in a 2500 word paper. I could focus on a a specific part like tk suggests, but that takes away some of the magnitude of it.

There's a wealth of primary sources on the reaction and reforms due to the Industrial Revolution in particular. You can focus on a particular country: Britain, US, countries in the second wave of the Industrial Revolution like Russia or Japan, or newly industrialised countries like China.

I actually really like this idea. I've never been as interested in social history, but economics is fascinating. The Meiji Restoration or its equivalents in Russia and China (?) could be really fun to do.

Arab Spring :mischief:

Problematic

As an example, I wanted to show some of the winning subjects and titles. Last year the winning papers were :

"Just Plain Murder": Public Debate and Corporate Diplomacy in Donora's Fight for Clean Air
The Emperor Has No Clothes: How Hubris, Economics, Bad Timing, and Slavery Sank King Cotton Diplomacy with England
Lost Opportunities for Peace: Vietnam, 1945-1950
The Colorado River Compact: Assuaging the Thirsty Southwest
A Bloodless Battle For a Sacred Lake: Taos Pueblo and Blue Lake
Louder Than Words: The Silent Sentinels and the Nineteenth Amendment
Ping-Pong Diplomacy": The Historic Opening of Sino-American Relations during the Nixon Administration
The Pentagon Papers: Igniting the Debate Over Government Secrecy
The Potsdam Conference and the Origins of the Cold War in Europe: An Analysis of Post-War Diplomacy
Gorbachev: Tearing Down the Wall, Building Diplomatic Relations

The entries range from ultra-specific to somewhat broad, but troublingly to me none of them except one are from before the 20th century. Additionally there are no entries focused upon millitary history. This strengthens the Industrial Revolution idea.

If you want to be very boring, the French Revolution would work. However, the more I think about it, the more I think going with the ECW might work out well. It is a period that most people know about, but not very well. There are plenty of primary sources (in English!) and you hit on most the key topics. Extend the paper to include the Glorious Revolution and you definately have all three key areas.

The Capetian/Valois reaction/reform in France after the fall of Napoleon.

It's Capetian/Bourbon. The Valois subdynasty died out in 1589.

There is also the bloodless "revolutions" in Denmark and the Netherlands in 1848. They could fit quite well on your criteria and would be a bit different than the usual "action packed" revolutions.

Im using the term revolution lightly here since they arent exatcly revolutions as depicted in the french or russian ones but are usually called revolutions because of the marked change in government and the abolishion of absolute monarchy.

Huh, give me a bit for it, I don't have many dealing with that period in particular.

If you want to be very boring, the French Revolution would work. However, the more I think about it, the more I think going with the ECW might work out well. It is a period that most people know about, but not very well. There are plenty of primary sources (in English!) and you hit on most the key topics. Extend the paper to include the Glorious Revolution and you definately have all three key areas.

Yeah the French Revolution would be fascinating, but I can be sure I would be one out of many.

It's Capetian/Bourbon. The Valois subdynasty died out in 1589.

Ooops :blush: Thank you

1st Century jewish stuff would be cool.

I agree

Ireland 1848-1916/22 seems a good topic to me. That's me though.

I like this but, it may be a bit too broad.

There is also the bloodless "revolutions" in Denmark and the Netherlands in 1848. They could fit quite well on your criteria and would be a bit different than the usual "action packed" revolutions.

Im using the term revolution lightly here since they arent exatcly revolutions as depicted in the french or russian ones but are usually called revolutions because of the marked change in government and the abolishion of absolute monarchy.

Definitely a possibility

If you could hook me up with good sources I'd totally do it.

You're doing this too?

EDIT:

I'd say right now, my top four are in no particular order:
1. Jewish Rebellions
2. Ottoman Constitutional Revolutions
3. English Civil War
4. Yeltsin's coup

Charles Stewart Parnell and the IRB? That's Revolution, Reformation and Reaction in one parliamentarian.

Wiki'd him. One interesting man.

Top Bottom