Revolution: what's your experience?

I think what you describe is normal. Revolts are probably caused by distance, but that should ease with eras. Have you tried reducing revolution difficulty? Which level are you using? I suggest 0 since you are experiencing difficulties, then you might try 2.5. Also, in the latest revision managing a big empire will be harder but a normal one will be much easier. And if you set revolution difficulty to 0, it will be easier on general.
You should be able to grant independence (vassalize) to your colonies, if you can't there must be something preventing you like reaching maximum number of civs.

Have you tried reducing revolution difficulty? Which level are you using?

yeah, I am using 0 (which I think is by default, right?)

You should be able to grant independence (vassalize) to your colonies, if you can't there must be something preventing you like reaching maximum number of civs

Ah, that could be possible. Is there any way to increase the maximum number of civs?
If I eliminate one or more civs, would I be able to vassalize my colonies?

but that should ease with eras
so, eras and time makes revolutions decrease?
does wining civil wars and revolutions as well?
Maybe it should, since looks quite realistic that cities delay revolting after having lost a revolt

yeah, I am using 0 (which I think is by default, right?)

Yes, 0 should be default. In the latest revision I have reduced somewhat revolution values connected to empire size if using 0 value.

Ah, that could be possible. Is there any way to increase the maximum number of civs?
If I eliminate one or more civs, would I be able to vassalize my colonies?

I'm not sure to tell the truth. Currently the mod supports up to 50 civs; I've never seen more than 33-34 civs at the same time but dead civs count too if I'm not mistaken, so if you have reached that limit, I think there's no way to spawn new civs.

so, eras and time makes revolutions decrease?
does wining civil wars and revolutions as well?
Maybe it should, since looks quite realistic that cities delay revolting after having lost a revolt

Yes to both questions. An empire which might be considered huge in ancient era, might be considered normal in modern era, hence reducing empire size factor for revolts. Each time you conquest a city or kill an enemy unit, revolution values decrease. Each time one of your units is killed or you lose a city, revolution values increase.

Just to add to the above, I have noticed in the past that the default value for the colony rev factor was a bit high. I`m not sure if the defaults have been changed since, but I always more or less switched the values of the colony and distance modifiers so that distance was the bigger factor. A city on an island a few tiles from your capital should not revolt more than a city 5x further away, but on the same continent. That is what I used to see. The numbers I currently use are 1.5 for distance (same as default) and 1.25 for colony (2.5 is default).

You said you were experiencing with a new dll with more civs. How is that going? Just curious :)

I haven't tested anymore recently because I gave priority to bug fixing, pitboss and movement limits option. But I still plan to see if it's playable.

I've a bug to re-report with revolutions.

The AI won't release cities to the Human player, even though you get the pop up choice of accepting them or rejecting them.

It happened twice, I accepted both times, and nothing happened both times.

I was going to wait for a 3rd try, and reject, and let them form a separate civ, but didn't come up.

I was playing High to low, but shouldn't matter, and my old civ was the one liberating to Me, in my new Civ?

But again shouldn't matter.

I don't have saves, as I played from an earlier save and have gone to a 3rd Civ, I could try again to generate that situation, but its totally random if it does happen, as I lose leadership to the AI for 41 turns, and who knows what will happen then. (Ramesses to Cleopatra)

I've a bug to re-report with revolutions.

The AI won't release cities to the Human player, even though you get the pop up choice of accepting them or rejecting them.

It happened twice, I accepted both times, and nothing happened both times.

I was going to wait for a 3rd try, and reject, and let them form a separate civ, but didn't come up.

I was playing High to low, but shouldn't matter, and my old civ was the one liberating to Me, in my new Civ?

But again shouldn't matter.

I don't have saves, as I played from an earlier save and have gone to a 3rd Civ, I could try again to generate that situation, but its totally random if it does happen, as I lose leadership to the AI for 41 turns, and who knows what will happen then. (Ramesses to Cleopatra)
I had the same bug, they never do it

I'm not sure to tell the truth. Currently the mod supports up to 50 civs; I've never seen more than 33-34 civs at the same time but dead civs count too if I'm not mistaken, so if you have reached that limit, I think there's no way to spawn new civs.

the limit is 50?
or the number of civs I did set at the begging of the game?

Because in the game there are about 35 civs (I think is the number I did set in the custom game settings) and two of them are dead.

So, it is strange I cannot free my colonies as vassals, right?
Another interesting option would be play as the rebels when they try to get independent.
In other games I have had the option in the tool-tip, but in this game the rebels are always "unorganized rebels" and I don't have that option, just "accept terms" or "reject terms".

the limit is 50?
or the number of civs I did set at the begging of the game?

Because in the game there are about 35 civs (I think is the number I did set in the custom game settings) and two of them are dead.

So, it is strange I cannot free my colonies as vassals, right?
Another interesting option would be play as the rebels when they try to get independent.
In other games I have had the option in the tool-tip, but in this game the rebels are always "unorganized rebels" and I don't have that option, just "accept terms" or "reject terms".

The dll limit is 50. You can set even 1 single player at the start at the game but the limit remains 50. Other civs might emerge because of revolutions or Barbarian Civs option. Dead civs are being counted too. There are also different reasons why you might not be able to release your colonies. For example, they are considered for some reason (maybe mapscript reasons) in the same region as your main empire. Above 30-32 civs (I don't recall now), the chances to spawn barbarian rebels (instead of a new civ) increase. I think Afforess changed this a long ago, maybe for performance reasons (increasing the number of civs slows down the game).
Anyway depending on the revolution type, you might get 2 more options: lead the new civilization which will control some rebelling cities OR you might find yourself leading a rebel army with no cities (yet) and you'll have to fight your way to build a new empire.

I had the same bug, they never do it

AFAIK they do it from time to time; there must be a bug somewhere in the code but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; this is why I haven't been able to fix it yet (and it's hard to reproduce)

Anyway depending on the revolution type, you might get 2 more options: lead the new civilization which will control some rebelling cities OR you might find yourself leading a rebel army with no cities (yet) and you'll have to fight your way to build a new empire.

ok, thanks. So, in order to get one of those 2 options, the only thing I can do is wait until the type of revolution implies the spawning of a new civ, right?

ok, thanks. So, in order to get one of those 2 options, the only thing I can do is wait until the type of revolution implies the spawning of a new civ, right?

Precisely.

After one revolution, I try accepting terms (the only two options were "accept terms" "reject"). After I accepted one of the revolting cities changed to barbarian, but the following error appeared:

"Error in ModNetMessage" event handler <bound method Revolution.onModNetMessage of <Revolution.Revolution instance at 0x1B424968>>

any hint of what the problem might be?

After one revolution, I try accepting terms (the only two options were "accept terms" "reject"). After I accepted one of the revolting cities changed to barbarian, but the following error appeared:

"Error in ModNetMessage" event handler <bound method Revolution.onModNetMessage of <Revolution.Revolution instance at 0x1B424968>>

any hint of what the problem might be?

Sometimes you get this kind of error, it's probably something in the python code but it's not harmful AFAIK. In this case I think it might be something connected to multiplayer games, so just ignore it.

I think I found a minor problem in the revolution code. The stability effects from religions are supposed to be reduced at two points. Liberalism halves the revolution changes from religion and Scientific Method divides it by 3. The problem is that in AND, Scientific Method comes BEFORE Liberalism. In BTS, Sci-Meth is early Industrial, while we have it in the mid-Renaissance. We should probably have a different tech to apply the second level of division. I suggest Electricity.

...reducing the RevIndex in general, and Railroad really cuts down on the distance modifier.
Wait, distance to palace is reduced by routes?

Related, I noticed that "acts as palace" buildings affect nearby maintenance but not the Revolutions distance penalty. Is this an oversight?

Finally, I fully support devs assuming Revolutions enabled. As with map size and speed assumptions, you can't balance AND2 for every player preference.

Wait, distance to palace is reduced by routes?

Related, I noticed that "acts as palace" buildings affect nearby maintenance but not the Revolutions distance penalty. Is this an oversight?

Government center buildings affect the revolution distance penalty for that city only. It's the final calculation and halves the penalty. They don't affect other cities, even nearby ones.

The movement cost of routes also affects the distance bonus. The calculations cheat a little bit. As long as the city is connected, it uses the cost of the route on the city plot. So a city could be connected by Cart Paths but if it had a Maglev, it would use Maglev's movement cost.

The movement cost of routes also affects the distance bonus. The calculations cheat a little bit. As long as the city is connected, it uses the cost of the route on the city plot. So a city could be connected by Cart Paths but if it had a Maglev, it would use Maglev's movement cost.
IIRC a city plot always has the best route available, isn't it? So technically rev. distance is tech related.

Top Bottom