Revolution: with BarbarianCiv, Rebellion, AIAutoPlay

I may be wrong on some of these, but:

Eskel said:
Few ideas:
1. Revolting city should have two possibilities: stand on their own or join existing civ

Think its already in.

Eskel said:
2. Newborn Civs should remember its origin civ

Think its already in.

Eskel said:
3. Joing and assimilation of civs having the same origin should be significantly easier. This rule should apply to small empires, so medium can stay on their own

If it isn't already in, this would make sense.

Eskel said:
4. I like idea of federations, but it shouldn't restrict player's or AI's freedom. Tere shouldn't be number, size or time restrictions. Federation members should have a right to join or leave in any moment (though some diplo penalties could appear)

One of the attractive aspects to federations is that it would help balance the game. Having no restrictions would, I think, just push gameplay from one extreme (tiny city states) to another (WW1 in 500 BC).

Eskel said:
5. It would be nice if revolution was preceded by 1-2 turns of standard Civ4 unrest, so it wont to be so much surprise.

What surprise? You get pop-ups whenever a city is in danger telling you exacty why its in danger.

Eskel said:
6. I disagree that despotic rules increases chances of revolution. Its against historical experience: most empires were absolutist and obscurant despotisms to keep their citizens in obedience. Maybe despotism should increase unhapiness/revolution index, but then military troops should have a possibility of decreasing rev index and quelling of revolution. This should also lessen an AI's civs fragmentation.

Think its already in. Stationing troops in a city quells rebellion.

Eskel said:
7. It doesnt seem realistic to me that in each case rebels got the whole city, especially slave rebels. Is there any possibility to spawn them sometimes around city?

I also like the idea of spawning partisans that fortify around the city (ala civ2) both when it is taken and when a 'local' rebellion occurs.

Eskel said:
8. If there were units stationed in city during revolution, they should take some collateral damage and have small chance of defection to rebel side.

I think the same effect that occurs when a city "culture riots" should occur on the turn of a rebellion.

Eskel said:
9. Revolution should produce units depending on city size. Smaller cities and single-city rebellions could be then much easier quelled.

I'd think this would already be in. If it isn't, I'd agree.

Eskel said:
10. Capital city should have a positive modificator against rev probability.

It already does. Palace gives +1 happy, and thats more than enough. If anything, capitals should have an increased probability of being taken out in a violent revolution: The capital is almost always the first target of a military coup.

Eskel said:
11. This mod would work great with new completely re-made civics system.

It would. Civics are almost entirely XML, so its very easy to put your own in. I think it is better that way. What I think would be even better, would be a new Civics XML tag that shows what the revolution modifier (positive or negative, and to what extent) for that civic is, when selected in the civics screen (unless its in and I missed it). It would make it easier for new players to understand, and easier for modders (even novice ones like me) to incorporate their own civics systems into the mod, or vice versa.

GRM7584 said:
I think the same effect that occurs when a city "culture riots" should occur on the turn of a rebellion.

Having been the victim of rebellions using this mod, I can tell you that units do take damage if stationed in cities where rebellions occur. They're spit out of the city into the surrounding countryside (not into the nearest friendly territory)... which means they can be rather vulnerable to being annihilated by the rebels right at the outset. (Hence my reason for suggesting forts in trouble regions).

Defections are not supported but certainly should be. I've stated above the conditions for that...

It would. Civics are almost entirely XML, so its very easy to put your own in.

Yes, however, any new civics would not be supported by this mod. jdog has not yet made it so that the various features are easily moddable within the XML. It's on the to do list...

Dom Pedro II said:
Yes, however, any new civics would not be supported by this mod. jdog has not yet made it so that the various features are easily moddable within the XML. It's on the to do list...

That's good to hear, I like having lots of civics and adding another modifiable game element into the civics XML that can affect most/all civics sounds appealing.

jdog5000 said:
I do not have any specific plans for this. Currently, rebel civs are chosen based on similar art style, so that there is usually some correlation (a European civ will spawn a European rebel if possible). I'd imagine the best way to do this would be through an XML file ...

You just gave me an idea. I didn't want to add info to the standard civ XML files, as I want my mod to be easily pluggable with any XML based mod ... no modifications required. Instead, I could create a new XML file that sets up preferencial rebel types for civs. If this file exists, the mod will use it ... if not, it will use the existing artstyle machinary.

This file would look something like:

England:
rebel civ types:
America
India

How does that sound?
Well, I guess I didn't understand the full extent of what this new XML file would require ... I'd have to add a whole bunch of SDK access functions, essentially create a whole new info type. So, instead I'll do it in Python. It'll still be its own file so you won't have to dig through the thousands of lines in Revolution.py, and I think it will be almost as easy to modify ... and 20 times easier for me to create :p

Alright, I'm working on a list of preferred rebel civ types for all the civs ... lend a hand!

Goal is at least 2, possibly more preferred rebel civ types for each civ. Rebels will spawn as these types when possible, if not then using the civs art style (Euro->Euro, etc), and finally random. No real limit on how many to assign a particular civ, but no need to, for example, list all other Euro style civs for Germany, as art style is the second factor. For civs where there's no strong historical basis (Mali ...), we can go instead by who you think is most logical.

(EDIT: I will update this list based on comments below)

America:
-
-

Arabia:
- Egypt
- Persia

Aztec:
- Inca
- Spain?

Carthage:
- Rome
- Greece?

Celt:
-
-

China:
- Korea
- Mongols

Egypt:
-
-

England:
- America
- India

France:
- Germany
-

Germany:
- France
- Russia?

Greece:
- Rome
- Persia?

Inca:
- Aztec
-

India:
- Persia
-

Japan:
-
-

Korea:
-
-

Mali:
-
-

Mongol:
-
-

Ottoman:
- Persia
- Greece

Persia:
- Ottoman
-

Rome:
- Greece
- Carthage

Russia:
- Viking
- Germany

Spain:
- France
- Arabia?
- Aztec
- Inca

Viking:
- Russia
- Germany
- England

Zulu:
- Mali
- Egypt?

Viking should include Russia. Rus did mean swedish viking or something in finish or russian at that time. And the rulers of the Kievan Rus were of swedish viking heritage I believe. Also, the swedish vikings had great influences to the east.

Eskel said:
Few ideas:
Great! Everything that DP or GRM said or thought was in, is in ... :cool:

Eskel said:
2. Newborn Civs should remember its origin civ
3. Joing and assimilation of civs having the same origin should be significantly easier. This rule should apply to small empires, so medium can stay on their own
Right now, civs remember who they were born from basically because of culture in their cities ... I do intend to make this more explicit, and having this be a positive factor for groups of rebels joining together is definitely a good idea.

Eskel said:
7. It doesnt seem realistic to me that in each case rebels got the whole city, especially slave rebels. Is there any possibility to spawn them sometimes around city?
Rebels get cities based on a comparison of how many rebel units are going to spawn vs the strength of your garrison. There are a bunch of additional factors: your garrison size is multiplied by the cities defense rating and rounded up, when spawning barb rebels (or slaves) the odds are skewed heavily in the garrisons favor. To have a city initially go to the slaves, you'd have to have a very small garrison in a large city ...

Eskel said:
8. If there were units stationed in city during revolution, they should take some collateral damage and have small chance of defection to rebel side.
This defection idea keeps coming up ... I initially decided not to do it, as it seemed fraught with only half-logical decisions. First, should a unit produced in a strongly loyal city, but moved to a rebellious one, be likely to defect? There's no way to tell where the unit came from. Plus, if some of your units will defect if they're in a rebelling city, it encourages you to station your units right outside the city just to avoid this mechanism. So, instead of the whole unit defecting, I chose to model some of the soldiers in the unit defecting (or dieing) by wounding the units.

That being said, I have just recently added the ability for the rebels to seize some of the 'equipment' units DP was talking about (configurable of course). The rebels will capture some fraction of the ships, planes, and siege units in the city if they take it over.

Eskel said:
11. This mod would work great with new completely re-made civics system.
Yeah, I have plans to add support for new fields in Civics XML files that allow for the configuration of all the different ways civics currently can affect your civ. Won't be in the next version, but maybe the one after that.

Jdog500, has there been any progress on having this work when the civics and religions have been modified (Similar to EWR for religions or my mod for civics?)

WOOPS my answer was right above my post...

K... Love ya...

In my opinion, defining which nation spreads which nation is only useful in realism mods. This is a simulation where also zulu and germans can start the game having close borders.
If we define what nation a rebelling nation has to become, we should also have the civs started in places according to our planet earth.
These are just names.

Regarding Federations:
Instead of truly fusing, the federation members a placed on the same team. If you've never played a team game (can be done in singleplayer), try it out. Teammates share line of sight, relations, research, wonder benefits, and their score is lumped together. It perhaps isn't truly a federation, as there is no "federal government" to set civic policy over the whole group, they only share relations and research at the federation level. There might be a way to constrain civics settings, but that'd take some further work.

The team method of creating federations is certainly good since it would make the fall of a federation much easier to implant, however the team concept refers more to a confederation than a federation, since the states of a federation are united by a central government and thus foreign affairs are dealt with from one supreme leader or political party. But your team suggestion is not in vain since you have inspired me to come up with an idea that includes both the formation of federations and confederations. What I suggest:
Civilizations can form a union (confederation) if certain factors apply, the confederation then has a chance to prosper and become a federation at a later point of time.

Confederation:
Requires:
Discovery of Feudalism
3 or more civilizations, which are currently not in a confederation, can form a confederation if they share: Continent, 4/5 of their civics, religion and all are pleased or friendlier towards one another.
Effects of a confederation:
All civilizations are placed on the same team.
+1 trade route per city for all civilizations in the confederation.
A civilization is expelled from the confederation if (resuming to its previous team):
Civilization no longer shares 4/5 of the civics with any of the other civilizations in the confederation.
Civilization no longer shares religion of the confederation.
Violent revolution occurs in the civilization.
Civilization is conquered.
The civilization with the highest scores cannot be expelled from the confederation.
A civilization is admitted in a confederation if:
Civilization shares 4/5 of the confederation civics.
Civilization shares religion of the federation.
Civilization shares continent of the federation.
Confederation is pleased towards civilization.
Confederation falls if:
There are two or less civilizations in the confederation.
If confederation falls:
All civilizations resume their previous team.
Confederations are named:
[the civilizations name] of [confederations name]
Example: France of the European Union
Confederation names:
Crown of Aragon, Union of African States, Kalmar Union, Confederation of the Equator, Bar Confederation, Targowica Confederation or the European Union.

Federation:
Requires:
Discovery of Nationalism
Every turn a confederation - that has lasted more than 15 turns - can become a federation if all the civilizations of the confederation share 5/5 of their civics.
Effects of a Federation:
The civilization with the highest score of the confederation is appointed dominant.
The civilizations with a lower score assimilate together with the dominant civilization and thus becoming one civilization.
Other civilizations cannot join the federation once it has been created. If a revolution happens it will occur like a revolution for a normal civilization.
Federations are named:
[federation name]
Federation names:
United States of America, Soviet Union, Union of Myanmar, United Mexican States or United Arab Emirates

Regarding Assimilation:
I'm also thinking of expanding the assimilation logic, which right now only applies to civs whose capital has a large cultural influence from a bigger civ.

Even though I love the concept of assimilation, I do think before expanding the assimilation logic it would probably be wise to find references of actual historical events where assimilations have occurred. I am currently not sure what the exact factors are or how frequent it has occurred thru out history.

Regarding Riots:
I contemplated things like desertion or building destruction, and thought that even if they are realistic, they're not exactly fun. Having to replace buildings destroyed by riots seems a little much too, the rioters would probably not completely destroy the courthouse, just trash it. Perhaps the lost revenue and production during the riot could be seen as going to repairs? I've intentionally made rebellions large events ... in the very beginning, single barb units would run at your city every few turns if it was rebellious. These units are not a threat, as they have no backup ... they may pillage a couple things and then get destroyed. No challenge and not really any fun either.

You are right that it would be smart to view things from a large perspective and thus rebels should not be small tedious events that frequently occurs, however I do suggest that the instability of an empire should have other consequences than just revolutions.
Currently the game, as far as I know – please inform me if I am wrong - has two indexes to calculate the risk and effect of revolutions:

[micro revolution index]
The stability of a city is calculated by this index. Depending on how unstable it is it will have a risk of starting or joining a revolution. What I suggest is that there should be other obstacles associated with a city having a high revolution index. As the index increases more and more civilians from the will refuse to corroborate with the government, and thus reducing the city's production, science and income.

[macro revolution index]
The stability of the government is a little bit more tricky. If the civilians feel suppressed or unhappy with the government they will start to riot, this could be illustrated in the game by increasing the maintenance for the civilization. Also if the government is weak it will have to deal with more totalitarian civics such as despotism or hereditary rule. Also if the government is weak it will have a harder time providing welfare for the civilians and thus health will go down. The lack of welfare and structure of the empire will increase the fertility since the civilians do not trust the government and they will need more children to provide for them.

City Behavior:
Productive City
City&#8217;s [micro revolution index] < 400
+25% hammers in city
+10% research in city
Stabile City
City&#8217;s [micro revolution index] = 400-700
Effects:
None
Resistant City:
City&#8217;s [micro revolution index] = 700-900
Effects:
-35% hammers in city
-10% research in city
City might join a revolution
Rebellious City:
City&#8217;s [micro revolution index] > 900
Effects:
-50% hammers in city
-15% research in city
City might start a revolution

Civilization Behavior:
Efficient Civilization:
Civilization&#8217;s [macro revolution index] < 400
Effects
-15% maintenance
+4 health in all cities
-50% growth for cottage, hamlet, village;
Civilization can use all civics.
If a revolution occurs it will be an Amicable Revolution. The Amicable Revolution can be denied; however denying it will add 75 to the [macro revolution index].
Organized Civilization:
Civilization&#8217;s [macro revolution index] = 400-700
Effects:
If a revolution occurs it will be a Pacifistic Revolution. Pacifistic revolution can be denied; however denying it will add 100 to the [macro revolution index]
Civilization can use all civics except Environmentalism.
Weak Civilization:
Civilization&#8217;s [macro revolution index] = 700-900
Effects:
+10% maintenance
-2 health in all cities
Cannot use the following civics: Universal Suffrage, Free Speech or Environmentalism,
If a revolution occurs it will be a Hostile Revolution:
Broken Civilization:
Civilization&#8217;s [macro revolution index] > 700
Effects:
+30% maintenance
-6 health in all cities
+175% growth for cottage, hamlet, village;
Cannot use the following civics:
Representation, Universal Suffrage, Bureaucracy, Free Speech, Emancipation, Free Market, State Property or Environmentalism
If a revolution occurs it will be a Ruinous Revolution:

Regarding Additional Factors That Could Cause An Increase In The Indexes
War:
Patriotism:
Civilization is at war with another civilization.
1 subtracted from [macro revolution index] each turn for 20 turns since war started.
1 subtracted from [micro revolution index] each turn for 5 turns from all cities since war started.
Honor:
Civilization conquers another civilizations city. When a civilization builds a wonder it also experiences honor.
3 subtracted from [macro revolution index] each turn for 30 turns
2 subtracted from [micro revolution index] each turn for 10 turns from all cities.
Glory:
Civilization conquers another civilization or another civilization capitulates.
5 subtracted from [macro revolution index] each turn for 50 turns
3 subtracted from [micro revolution index] each turn for 20 turns from all cities.
Shame:
Civlization loses a city during war.
3 added to [macro revolution index] each turn for 40 turns
2 added to [micro revolution index] each turn for 25 turns for all cities.
Humiliation:
Civilization capitulates or loses its capitol.
5 added to [macro revolution index] each turn for 60 turns
3 added to [micro revolution index] each turn for 35 turns for all cities.

Economics:
Requires:
The discovery of Currency
Currently the status of the science bar indicates if a civilization is doing well financially. I do not think science is a means to stability - what comes of science is though. I suggest creating a simpler model.
Great Finances:
Civilization is earning 100% more than average gold each turn.
8 subtracted from [macro revolution index] each turn
5 subtracted from [micro revolution index] each turn for all cities.
Solid Financials:
Civilization is earning 50%-100% more than average gold each turn.
5 subtracted from [macro revolution index] each turn
3 subtracted from [micro revolution index] each turn for all cities.
Poor Finances:
Civilization is earning 25%-50% less than average gold each turn.
4 added to [macro revolution index] each turn
2 added to [micro revolution index] each turn for all cities.
Catastrophic Finances:
Civilization is earning 50%, or less, less than average gold each turn.
10 added to [macro revolution index] each turn
6 added to [micro revolution index] each turn for 5 turns.
If a civilization has a treasury larger than 125 it will have solid financials. The question is having the average value determine if you are doing well or not - if all civilizations are doing poorly, then they are actually doing average. Maybe creating a certain formula which relates what you are supposed to be earning and what you are in fact earning could be used to determine the increase or decrease of the indexes each turn.

Regarding Civics:
Well, these forms of government certainly arose to try to crush resistance. But yet these empires fell just as hard or harder as any other forms of government. Especially since violence begets further violence.

True, though having tyranny is often the only solution available if a civilization should not suffer from an undesired revolution. What I suggest is that some of the civics in the game will reduce the [micro revolution index] (risk of revolution) however increase the [macro revolution index] (reducing the efficiency of the empire).

Civics:
Government Civics:
Despotism
2 added to [macro revolution index] each turn
Hereditary Rule
1 added to [macro revolution index] each turn
2 subtracted from [micro revolution index] each turn for all cities.
Representation
1 subtracted from [macro revolution index] each turn
0 subtracted from [micro revolution index] each turn for all cities.
Police State
3 added to [macro revolution index] each turn
5 subtracted from [micro revolution index] each turn for all cities.
Universal Suffrage
2 subtracted from [macro revolution index] each turn

Legal Civics:
Barbarism
0 subtracted from [macro revolution index] each turn
Vassalage
2 added from [macro revolution index] each turn
1 subtracted from [micro revolution index] each turn for all cities.
Bureaucracy
Nationhood
1 added from [macro revolution index] each turn
Free Speech

Labor Civics:
Tribalism
Slavery
2 added from to [micro revolution index] each turn for all cities.
Serfdom
Caste System
Emancipation

Economy Civics:
Decentralization
Mercantilism
Free Market
2 subtracted from [macro revolution index] each turn
State Property
Environmentalism
3 subtracted to [macro revolution index] each turn

Religion Civics:
Paganism
Organized Religion
Theocracy
2 added to [macro revolution index] each turn
Pacifism
Free Religion
2 subtracted to [macro revolution index] each turn

Regarding Types of Revolutions:
I have suggested these before, however since I used them in this brainstorm I have posted them again to refresh your memory - I have slightly changed them:

Revolutions
Amicable Revolution:
New civilization is a vassal state of previous owner.
New civilization shares religion of previous owner.
New civilization shares civics of previous owner.
New civilization is very friendly towards previous owner
The revolution costs no gold from previous owner.

Pacifistic Revolution:
New civilization has open borders with previous owner.
New civilization shares religion of previous owner.
New civilization does not share civics of previous owner.
New civilization is friendly towards previous owner
The revolution costs little gold from previous owner.

Hostile Revolution:
New civilization is at war with previous owner.
New civilization does not share religion of previous owner.
New civilization has reversed civics of previous owner.
New civilization is hostile towards previous owner.
The revolution costs some gold from previous owner.

Ruinous Revolution:
Two new civilizations are spawned from previous owner.
New civilizations are at war with previous owner.
New civilizations do not share religion of previous owner.
New civilizations have reversed civics of previous owner.
New civilizations are very hostile towards previous owner
The revolution costs much gold from previous owner.

Regarding The Artificial Intelligence:
In regards to the reckless expansion I mentioned: is it possible to slow that down, or reduce the optimal number of cities the AI tries to hold on to? Every game I have played, I've felt tremendously lucky if a single AI player is able to survive from the start to the end without slipping to the bottom of the totem pole through repeated revolutions and reconquests.

I agree that the artificial intelligence should be improved, however it does seem like you have had a fairly unlucky experience with the computer opponents; I usually find a few of them able to stand strong against revolution. It would be very hard to change the artificial intelligence so it understands the revolution indexes, though some game play alterations could be done, which would help improve the computer.

Stagnation of Revolution Indexes:
If the [micro revolution index] is at -1 to +2 each turn it will be changed to 0.
Even though this will also help the human player a little it fits very well with the computers strategy. The human player experiences revolution from a sudden large increase in the [micro revolution index] whereas the computer more frequently suffers from a slight increase each turn.

Changing The Consequence of Empire Size:
I agree that a large empire should suffer an increase in their city&#8217;s [micro revolution index] (and [macro revolution index] for that matter), though changing it to help the computer opponents could be done:
Tiny Empire:
Civilization has 1 city.
Effect:
Decrease [micro revolution index] by 2 each turn.
Decrease [macro revolution index] by 4.each turn
Small Empire:
Civilization has 2 or 3 cities
Effect:
Decrease [micro revolution index] by 1 each turn
Decrease [macro revolution index] by 2 each turn
Medium Empire:
Civilization has 5 or 8 cities
Effect:
Increase [micro revolution index] by 0 each turn
Increase [macro revolution index] by 2.each turn
Large Empire
Civilization has more than 8 cities.
Increase [micro revolution index] by 2 each turn
Increase [macro revolution index] by 4 each turn
These numbers should obviously be changed based on map size &#8211; these are based on a game on a large map size. I also focused on having a medium or large empire increasing the [macro revolution index] instead of the [micro revolution index].

No Settlers After 8 (or whatever) Cities.
Simply make it impossible for the computer opponent to build cities if building a city would cause the empire to become a large empire if their [macro revolution index] or [micro revolution index] is increasing too much.

Revolutionary Interdependence:
Trade routes between civilizations transfer a little of the increase or decrease of the revolution index each turn to one another.
This will help the computer - if the human player is doing well.

Fixed Decisions:
Instead of making the computer understand the [micro revolution index] one could force different actions from the computer if things are looking bad.
If the computer has a high increase in 1/4 or more of its city&#8217;s [micro revolution index] it will first:
#1:
If Police State is available it will change to that civic. If police state has not been discovered it will change to despotism.
If the computer still has a high increase it will change to the State Property civic if available.
If the computer is still has a high increase it will change to the Nationhood civic if available. If nationhood has not been discovered it will change to Barbarism.
If the computer still has a high increase it will change to the Theocracy civic if available.
If the computer is still has a high increase it will change to the Serfdom civic if available.
These will all decrease the amount added to the [micro revolution index] each turn. They also all - except police state - have a low maintenance, which will generate a higher profit and thus create more stability.
#2: If it is early in the game the computer will emphasize production on culture &#8211; by using the major tool. If it is late in the game it will emphasize production on wealth.
#3:
Reduce Science until a solid profit is being generated each turn.
#4:
Declare war against weakest neighbor - regardless of relations.

Increase The Benefit of City Garrison:
Although the computer does not understand the effect of a large city garrison in relation to the indexes, it does tend to have a lot of units constantly stationed in all of its cities. What I suggest is for every 2 units the [micro revolution index] will be decreased by one.

Regarding Cultural Decay:
What do others think of this?

If it is not tedious to add, then I think it would be a good idea, it will not only bring a new level to the concept of a civilization falling, it will also give a natural and realistic game. There could always been a line in the revolution.ini file which gives players the opportunity to turn it off.

Historical Sources:
If you want to read more about some of the concepts I use then I suggest reading:
Historical Concepts:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developing_country
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-industrial_society
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationalism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_J._Toynbee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Despotism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictatorship

Historical Examples:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civil_wars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_empire#Fall_of_the_Western_Roman_Empire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_Empire#Collapse_and_Postclassic_Period
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_reich#The_Post-War_Period
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_union
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudan

Actually, I had a list just like this at one time, as I wanted to try it but abandoned the idea. Also, I think it should be a very easy option to turn off or alter significantly (Eventually, at least). I can see a lot of people not wanting this sort of thing in the game, or thinking that the end choices you make are silly.

Spoiler Recommendations :

America:
- England
- Aztecs
- France

Arabia:
- Egypt
- Persia
- Ottoman
- Carthage

Aztec:
- Inca
- Spain
- America

Carthage:
- Rome
- Greece
- Arabia
- Spain

Celt:
- France
- England
- Germany
- Spain

China:
- Korea
- Mongols
- India
- Japan

Egypt:
- Ottoman
- Arabia
- Persia
- Greece

England:
- America
- India
- Zulu
- Viking

France:
- Germany
- Celt
- England
- Rome

Germany:
- France
- Russia
- Viking
- Greece

Greece:
- Rome
- Persia
- Germany
- Carthage

Inca:
- Aztec
- Spain
- Japan

India:
- Persia
- China
- Greece

Japan:
- Korea
- China
- Mongol

Korea:
- Japan
- Mongol
- China

Mali:
- Carthage
- Egypt
- Arabia
- France

Mongol:
- China
- Russia
- Persia
- Korea

Ottoman:
- Persia
- Greece
- Germany
- Egypt

Persia:
- Ottoman
- India
- Mongol
- Arabia

Rome:
- Greece
- Carthage
- Celt
- England

Russia:
- Viking
- Germany
- Mongol
- Persia

Spain:
- Carthage
- Arabia
- Aztec
- France

Viking:
- Russia
- Germany
- England
- America

Zulu:
- Mali
- Arabia
- England

To GRM7584:
I like this list of yours.

To jdog5000:
You are right, that most of my postulates is alredy included. But there are few major points that should be taken into consideration.

One is despotism and police state influence over rev index: stationing troops should be more effective as rebellion-quelling method than under democracy.
Moreover, in my opinnion minimal number of stationed troops to activate garrison trait is much too high. Maybe there would be better system with gradually increasing effect of garrison? Effect should be bigger when more units are garrisoned.

Second, the number of spawning troops - i don't know how it is calculated, but it gives strange results. In one of my games small aztec city (size 1) produced tons of gunships, modern armors and great generals each 5 turns, what is unrealistic and simply kills the game. I have fortified my forces, so they couldn't take the city, but I couldn't do anything to improve rev index either. Funny thing, that Montezuma become most powerful civ, because I having all my cities switched to military production couldnt withstand in numbers with spawning rebels (sic !!!).
What do you think about connectng number of spawning units to production capabilities of rebelling city?

BTW: There might be a bug, as once some aztec troops spawn just right on the same square where stood my two mechanized infantry units. In effect my units simply vanished without any trace!

Third: does rebellious spirit trait dissolves over time?

Hey all, my first post here! I think there was some discussion on some other thread if you can capitulate and become an AI's vassal state in Warlords.

So I was playing away on Noble with this mod, started a Huge map with three continents and 12 Aggressive AI civs. I started as Germany at the western coast and pumped out warriors en masse to have them discover that we are on a what you would call a very large island, maybe just larger than Austrailia but completely isolated. Since there weren't any nearby land masses, I went to first to discover Judaism AND open up borders with other SEVEN Civs on the continent. THREE MORE Civs formed from barbarians including one in capital city. Berlin asked to be independent, paid them off TWICE, then threatened civil war (which I wasn't prepapred militarily for) and eventually eventually become Stalin and the Russians within my own borders. I was just too busy trying to save my 5 other cities from the Barbarian invasions!! To add, my third largest city fell under the Barbarians and they became the Koreans to the north and east of me.

I eventually brokered peace with the Koreans to the east and proceeded to SEND all my Jewish missionaries to every nation. Everything warmed up when pretty much every nations took up Judaism. Then all hell broke loose around 1850 when Shaka couldn't agree with some of his neighbors on the northeast side of the island and eventually cities started falling at the hand of the Zulu empire.

Since Shaka was at number one, decided to declare war on just about everyone and sent his state of the art Calvary storming west across across the continent, smaller nations only with longbows being overrun and capitulating to the Zulu. Even the Russians inside my own country for some reason decided to became a vassal of Shaka, and in turn declared war on me!! I was in serious trouble. Shaka then proceeds to bring the the entire military might of ZULU at my doorstep to aide the RUSSIANS along with the OTTOMANS, the INCA, the MONGOLIANS. Maybe I still had a chance, I was 2nd place and only over a 100 points behind Shaka at the time and with gunpowder to defend my cities - I was able to hold most of them off. I lost two off my northern smaller cities in the process.

My citizens demanded a change after losing two cities and suggested that I should step down and let Frederick rule instead of Bismark. I guess they weren't too happy about 'drafting' them into the defence of Germany cities with the Slavery civic. ;) So I stepped down... for the 34 turns. Who knows, maybe things might turn arouind with new management!

I would say the war wasn't going to well so for another 14 turns, then all of a sudden the war was over. Frederick brokered for peace then it said that MY nation has just capitualted and became a vassal state of Shaka and the Zulu empire!! Twenty turns later, i regained control, I managed to get one of my cities I lost from the war back to me from the Inca with a revolt. I may be down to eigth place in rank BUT I am now allied most of my neighbors and protected because we are now vassals of the Zulu, including me! And wouldn't you know it, after a dozen turns later, Shaka DEMANDED in tribute some some Wheat or face war once again. I think I can my citizens can be without Wheat in exchange for peace. :p

Props to jdog5000 and his Revolution mod!! This feels like an entirely new game and adds SO much to the CIV IV Warlords experience. I will actually play this out and see where this game is headed. :) Keep it coming!

Caesium said:
In my opinion, defining which nation spreads which nation is only useful in realism mods. This is a simulation where also zulu and germans can start the game having close borders.
If we define what nation a rebelling nation has to become, we should also have the civs started in places according to our planet earth.
These are just names.
Your point is well taken ... the feature can certainly be disabled. In fact, in a fair number of situations it won't have any effect as all the select group may already be in the game. Personally, I enjoy seeing historically significant revolutions sprout up even when playing a random game ...

What do you think about sth like this:

Spoiler :

civil rights and personal freedom
-dictatorship - forced labour hurry, growth and prod. bonus
-authoritarism - commerce bonus
-democracy - gold hurry, commerce and culture bonus

ruling body
-one person - production/growth bonus
-group of citizens - commerce bonus
-entire society - culture and happiness bonus

administration (legal, management)
-centralized - production/growth bonus
-hierarchical (vassalage)
-decentralized (local autonomy) - commerce bonus

social model (work)
-tribal (allows slavery)
-caste (allows slavery) - production and growth bonus
-emancipation - commerce and culture bonus
-planned - happiness bonus (?), free specialists

economy
-free market - no/low upkeep, +1 trade routes
-protectionism (mercantilism, interventionism) - medium upkeep, no foreign trade routes, free specialists
-state property (planned) - high upkeep, production and growth bonus
-enviromentalism (sustainable development) - high upkeep, health and happiness bonus

military
-tribal - low upkeep
-vassalage - medium upkeep, free units per city, cavalry xp bonus
-conscription - medium upkeep, draft, lessens production time
-professional - high upkeep, xp bonus

religion
-decentralized - normal happiness and commercial bonus
-organized - normal bonus + double bonus of values in cities with state religion
-atheism - science bonus, increase unhappiness
-free religion - science bonus

values
-survival - gives troops xp bonus, lessens troop production time (equivalent to nationalistic ideologies like God,Honour and Motherland)
-productivity - increases growth, production, obedience
-creativity - increases commerce, culture, great ppl rate
-happiness - increases happiness and health

jdog5000 said:
Your point is well taken ... the feature can certainly be disabled. In fact, in a fair number of situations it won't have any effect as all the select group may already be in the game. Personally, I enjoy seeing historically significant revolutions sprout up even when playing a random game ...

Well, to me, a historically significant revolution would be if you have a nation split off from Japan and become South Japan or the People's Republic of Japan... or something like that. Especially if it's not so much a separatist movement but rather groups trying to overthrow your government such as when they demand a change of leadership.

To me, being able to change the name of the civilizations mid-game to something that is somehow derived from the original nation is the best way. Then one could create a small bank of names for each civilization to draw upon when a new splinter state is born. It would be cool too because then you could literally have dozens or even hundreds of potential civilizations that will pop up in the course of any given game... sure, they won't really be different persay, but they'll LOOK different :D

Dom Pedro II said:
To me, being able to change the name of the civilizations mid-game to something that is somehow derived from the original nation is the best way. Then one could create a small bank of names for each civilization to draw upon when a new splinter state is born. It would be cool too because then you could literally have dozens or even hundreds of potential civilizations that will pop up in the course of any given game... sure, they won't really be different persay, but they'll LOOK different :D

Its my understanding that that isn't doable with any sort of conventional code. It wouid dramatically improve the game, I think, not only for "new states" but when an existing state changes civics dramatically. Russia could go from Muscovy to Rus to Soviet Union to Russian Empire between overthrowing, changing civics, etc. etc. For setting up new civs with existing civs traits/UUs/etc, its an issue for one-leader civs (and others to a lesser degree). I'd hate to see two hannibals in the same game.

Well, what you can do, and this is what I'm thinking... is that you'd take one of the remaining slots and existing civilizations and simply rename it and its leader, which I'm fairly certain is quite doable.

Dom Pedro II said:
Well, what you can do, and this is what I'm thinking... is that you'd take one of the remaining slots and existing civilizations and simply rename it and its leader, which I'm fairly certain is quite doable.
Changing leader or civ names is not as easy I had hoped ... I tried this once before and left it feeling a little frustrated. I thought it would be possible to modify the name a human player chose for their civ/leader or set up such a name for a non-human civ. The problem is that the name is stored in the .exe code that is not exposed in the SDK. It's accessed using functions defined in CvDLLUtilityIFaceBase.h: getPlayerName and getPlayerNameKey. There are no corresponding set functions exposed in the DLL it seems.

My new plan is essentially to cut those two functions out of the loop when renaming a civ/leader ... basically create a new name in CvPlayer that overrides those when defined.

If you have any other ideas, I'm all ears.

Lapu-Lapu said:
Hey all, my first post here! I think there was some discussion on some other thread if you can capitulate and become an AI's vassal state in Warlords.

So I was playing away on Noble with this mod, started a Huge map with three continents and 12 Aggressive AI civs. I started as Germany at the western coast ...

Props to jdog5000 and his Revolution mod!! This feels like an entirely new game and adds SO much to the CIV IV Warlords experience. I will actually play this out and see where this game is headed. :) Keep it coming!
Glad you enjoyed it, having the AI become a Vassal for you and then living under the Vassal agreement I find to be a very interesting dynamic.

If my continued testing doesn't turn up any issues, I'll be releasing 0.71w in the not to distant future. Here's the current change list:

Change Log

Version 0.71w

Added RevolutionText.xml
Added RebelTypes.py
Revolution:
- Reinforcements now slow and shrink as rebellion gets older
- Tiny cities now have minimum num turns between reinforcements, even if situation is really bad
- Rebellions now much more likely to spill over into neighboring civs
- Re-fixed bug reintroduced when Rebellion component disappeared, allowing spawning of new player with a dead player's civ type.
- Switched Revolution popups and messages to use RevolutionText.xml
- Cede power leader revolution now probabilistic
- Election system now based on an adjusted approval rating, a hybrid of approval rating and percentage of cities revolting.
- Message now displays when leader of rival civ changes.
- Added config option for Python soft cap on number of civs in game
- When rebels capture a city, they can now capture ships, planes, siege units
- Fixed bug causing wrong civ types to spawn when respawning a rebel player in certain circumstances
- Peaceful, independence rebellions now save rebel civ type in instigator city
- Number of rebel units reduced for early rebellions
- Increased wound level of troops in rebelling cities under some circumstances
- Violent rebels only lose initial hatred of homeland after end of hostilities
- Increased rebellion quelling strength of city garrisons (requested by Quijote)
- Added support for 'short list' of rebel civ types in RebelTypes.py
- Added config variables enabling short list and art style preferrential civ type selection

RevUtils:
- Added option to set all relations to peace when a player dies. Fixes vassal not sharing war bug reported by suspendinlight.
- Fixed bug in getEnemyUnits
- Changed getSpawnablePlots enemy unit detection to use getEnemyUnits

AIAutoPlay:
- Fixed issue causing "Waiting for ..." when your civ died, was reborn during automation.
- Added handling to make it easier to choose a new civ when your original civ is dead at the end of automation.
- 'Re-fortifying' now works if you cancel automation and for units that can only sleep as well.

BarbarianCiv:
- Switched era modifier to average era from max era (will make early barbs a little less intense).
- Added config option for Python soft cap on number of civs in game (requested by Caesium)

The big change really is the switch to XML text for all the popups and messages ... they're all in English now, but this allows the mod to be easily translated into new languages :cool: The new version should be backwards compatible with saves from 0.7

Top Bottom