Revolution: with BarbarianCiv, Rebellion, AIAutoPlay

Hi jdog5000... I discovered only now that you restarted taking care of this wonderful mod!
I immediately downloaded your mod and started a game... everything work fine so far.

Unfortunately I wasn't really able to to test you new version of the mod.
In the game I started there are several continents and my CIV share the biggest one with Russians, Khmer, and Greeks.
Everybody share the same religion and no revolution occurred.
when I got in contact with other CIVs in other continents I saw a real 3rd world (osolete techs, civil wars, rebellions, etc).

Hi jdog5000... I discovered only now that you restarted taking care of this wonderful mod!
I immediately downloaded your mod and started a game... everything work fine so far.

Unfortunately I wasn't really able to to test you new version of the mod.
In the game I started there are several continents and my CIV share the biggest one with Russians, Khmer, and Greeks.
Everybody share the same religion and no revolution occurred.
when I got in contact with other CIVs in other continents I saw a real 3rd world (osolete techs, civil wars, rebellions, etc).

You should receive a popup whenever you start/load a game informing you what features are running ... if you don't get that, then the mod isn't installed correctly.

With this version of the mod, you should also see civ names changing over time (___ Kingdom, ___ Republic, ___ Rebels, etc). The only way to really check on the Revolution part of the mod currently is through some of the keyboard shortcuts:
- CTRL-SHIFT-W will bring up the RevWatch window where you can see the revolt status of your cities
- CTRL-SHIFT-X allows you to simulate the game for a while, to see if new rebel civs pop up
I'm currently working on improving the visibility of the Revolution features, both on the city screen and main interface.

Anyway, if you're not seeing any of these things, then odds are the mod files aren't in the right place ... the folder:

Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Revolution\

should contain a how bunch of text file Readmes, plus an Assets folder. If you have any trouble, post again.

Glad you re-found the mod!

Ah! And you've made those SDK changes I requested! I bow to you, sir! :)

Took a little while, but yeah they're in there now and are the official holders of there information (not a mirror of something in Python, those bits are all in the SDK now). Enjoy :cool:

Took a little while, but yeah they're in there now and are the official holders of there information (not a mirror of something in Python, those bits are all in the SDK now). Enjoy :cool:

I turned in early last night, but I lay in bed for about half an hour thinking of what I was going to do with this. :)

I love your mod jdog5000... it is fantastic. I have been playing for a while, but last night i had a game that i thought i would share a little of, just for fun. (btw, it was a small map)

There was one large continent, and a smallish island... i started on the western part as louis XIV and founded paris on the coast, orleans inland more, but with lots of room for cottages and mines, and Lyons to the southeast more, where it was in some tundra, but i did this because the region had access to 2 silvers, a marble, an iron, and after cultural expansion, 2 sources of fur, all of which i needed to keep my cities happy. i founded confucianism in orleans and only got around to spreading it to paris. then taoism was founded in Lyons, by the luxuries. this cause major strife and several turns later i was facing a revolution! i decided to defect and lead the rebels because i knew i wouldnt be able to defend lyons. anyway, i thought the crisis was averted, but several turns later the barbs formed arabia just to the south of my borders and exploded! they had like 10 swordsman, and i didnt have iron or copper hooked up yet! i only had 2 archers and a few warriors in paris to defend! so i just sucked it up and hoped for the best... when Lyons revolted again! this time i rejected their claims and they attacked the city, which i VERY luckily defended,and just barely too. then the arabs marched and almost took paris, thought they devastated the area around it. they undoubtedly would have taken it, but they shared my religion and i was able to persuade them to make peace before they could! i spent the next MANY turns researching happiness things and building wonders in Orleans especially (high production) though i got one or two in Lyons to prevent revolts, which seems to have worked.

to my north, portugal had faced the emergence of the dutch in 2 cities and the germans in another, so i thought they were done for, but they put the rebellions down and became very strong! though i was the most advanced, they got feudalism before me and defended their cities too well for my greedy eyes. meanwhile, to the east of them, america was huge. im talking when i had 3 cities and most other civs had 2-3, they had 9! i was at first fearful, but after meeting lincoln, then washington, then FDR, then lincoln again, i realized everything wasnt perfect. then one turn america collapsed! this huge central swath of land in the one continent was suddenly filled with factions! first the aztecs formed and drove the americans to 2 cities in the north and one off my border, then the aztecs and the americans had to face the Indians revolt, which took some central cities, including washington, which had been a great city prior to this, then the english broke away in one coastal city in the south, then the russians spawned, but were unable to take any cities, and seemed like a roving band of mercenaries (cool!) cities changed hands every few turns, and the area was chaos. meanwhile i had built up a small military just in case the arabs stirred up again with a few cuirassers. then the indians asked to be my vassal! embroiling me in the conflict. i accepted and sent my army to washington. i took it and gave it to india, but the americans and aztecs took it back...

anyway, to make a long story short, i ended this war, asked the homeless russians to help me against portugal, and after another war forced the aztecs and americans to capitulate, earning myself a domination victory! with an augustus rating! this really reminded me of the holy roman empire and its fractured states, finally being united (sort of) under the french (napoleon) since thats what i did! anyway, great mod. its gonna be the only thing i play for a while!

I love your mod jdog5000... it is fantastic. I have been playing for a while, but last night i had a game that i thought i would share a little of, just for fun. (btw, it was a small map)

Glad you're enjoying it! You seem to have figured out how to play with the mod fairly quickly, building wonders definitely does help reduce rebelliousness. If you feel like posting this or future stories again, I just created a thread in the Revolution sub-forum for stories ... I think they're great fun to read, and I thought it'd help other people find them to put them in a central place. :goodjob:

oh cool! ill make sure to post these there from now on. and i wasnt sure that wonders would help, but i assumed that greater glory (ie culture) would help prevent separation and since wonders produce the most culture... well there you go!

jdog, another point... THANK YOU for including the new variable defining a civ as being rebel or not. I was going to add it anyway exactly as you have it... but I also didn't want to have to sift through your python code looking for where to call it :p

jdog,

I like your mod very much. Some ideas for the future :
Under certain conditions there is in the last part of the game a chance for a communist or fascism movement.
The idea of confiderations (small states forming a union) is also a good idea.
I am now trying the mod the beginning (that uses your rev/barb mod)

jdog, another point... THANK YOU for including the new variable defining a civ as being rebel or not. I was going to add it anyway exactly as you have it... but I also didn't want to have to sift through your python code looking for where to call it :p

It just made so much sense to put it in ... if you see any existing variable or new things like this you'd like (or are going to put in yourself) let me know, I'm still thinking of how I might use things in the SDK.

jdog,

I like your mod very much. Some ideas for the future :
Under certain conditions there is in the last part of the game a chance for a communist or fascism movement.
The idea of confiderations (small states forming a union) is also a good idea.
I am now trying the mod the beginning (that uses your rev/barb mod)

Rebels will sometimes ask for Communism (ie State Property) when conditions are right, but there isn't any kind of 'movement' mechanism yet ... good idea! I think about how it might work, perhaps if enough of your neighbors are running State Property the chances for something like this would go up.

Confederations are still on the road map, although I don't know when I might give them a second shot.

Glad you're enjoying Revolution!

Rebels will sometimes ask for Communism (ie State Property) when conditions are right, but there isn't any kind of 'movement' mechanism yet ... good idea! I think about how it might work, perhaps if enough of your neighbors are running State Property the chances for something like this would go up.

Well, don't the XML tags regarding freedom and such already do this to some degree? Neighboring civs' civics should be a factor, but at the same time, it should not encourage a civic that is clearly not what the people would want. Also, it would be nice if spies encouraged dissent for a switch to your civics rather than just causing general unhappiness.

Confederations are still on the road map, although I don't know when I might give them a second shot.

Glad you're enjoying Revolution!

I don't really care about confederations, tbh. I think Apostolic Palace provides a nice alternative.

This mod is very good. The whole "revolution" idea makes the game more unpredicatable and forces you to devote more resources to keep the population in check. And there's the whole "Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown" mood.

Hey, I'm new to this mod! A question: Someone knows if there's a good Earth map that works wonders with this mod?

[BTS] Beginning.10 What going on over at [BTS] Beginning.10 this is what I'am getting feed back from about adding in your mod
Revolution: with BarbarianCiv, Rebellion, AIAutoPlay to what I have put together to make my mod it seem there is a severe balancing problem if you can look into this and change the balancing this would be nice I also found what they said to be true. Thankyou for your mod I do like very much.

Freakwave
This revolutions mod you added is fun, but it needs severe balancing.If you keep your unhappyness in check you wont get a revolution ever!!Other civs break apart multiple times, this makes its extremely easy and im playing on monarch difficulty. which i normally dont.
- get all religions beyond the first two, after which civs start to fall apart.
- to build all wonders
- dominate techwise and powerwise
all this because you get lots of small civs.divide and conquer as simple as that. But you arent dividing anything, revolutions mod is doing that for you. I have to say that after vasselisation is possible small states are being gobbled up again (that happend before also) or made vassel. So
maybe that is the purpose but still too easy once your biggest rival collapses and all you have to do is not allow your cities to grow unhappy.
Nothing that you can help, since you only added this mod.

psob2
i play at noble but noticed the same thing as freakwave about the revolutions mod. it seems to split up the ai opponents into many small countries. i'm carefull to watch my happiness so i had no revolts. i usually have trouble that i don't build enough military and find that i'm falling behind on the power graph. the time i tried beginning with revolutions mod added i didn't have any trouble
staying at the top of power graph. when i checked my power about the renaissance i was at top(usually i'm struggling not to be lowest ). started the game with 7 computer opponents by then there were 16 other civs. went to world builder to see what was going on and all the other civs were a real mess of small civs, strangely shaped, sometimes with sections of one civ
split by another. i didn't bother playing the game out cause there wasn't any other civ that would have been able to compete, they were all too small.the revolutions mod is fun. its interesting to see the alerts about revolts, and how some civs progress from rebels to kingdoms. it does give the game a more dynamic feel. but imho it needs work on the balance issue. small civs just can't
compete. thanks for your time and effort putting the mod together, but the revolutions mod, at least to me, seems to have gameplay balance problems

Kalimakhus
Freakwave & psob2
I think your remarks about the Revolution mod should also be posted on their thread so the modders can look into ways to balance it. Some info that can help diagnose the problems would be the map sizes and speeds you both played with. On a standard map with normal speed the Human player has an advantage as he can easily keep his empire happy and small. A huge map or better the planetary map and marathon or odyssey speed can pose some challenge. Keeping your empire happy won't be so easy as you don't get techs needed for using happiness resources or founding a religion quickly enough to keep up with the growth of your cities.One other point, happiness is not the only concern with revolution, your cities can rebel if you are going through a financial crisis or if your taxes are high (The percentage of commerce dedicated for money).In conclusion however, your remarks are still true. The mod is supposed to be balanced for any speed or map size unless it
was tailored for specific ones and this should be stated clearly of course.

To clarify my post on "The beginning mod" page.

It all comes down to this namely dont allow your cities to grow unhappy and you are set.

I play monarch and oddysee speed which is a speed in the beginning mod that comes after marathon.

At the start of the game other civs are pretty quickly to settle all unoccpied land as is expected of that game diff. Still with the game speed i was playing on it more looked like i was playing on normal speed :lol:

So at the game start im certainly not first in score. After a while other ai cities start to revolt, after which its a done deal.

Of course i could never turn on avoid growth.. which will make the early game interesting, still if you adopt slavery and whip all unhappyness away, which i did when i forgot to turn avoid growth back on :) But still just keep the population below the happyness limit and you are good.

Oh and those three points i made

1) the first two religions didnt get founded by me, the rest i did found.
You guessed it, after some time civs start to break apart and i was able to take the lead.
2 and 3 same as above.

Hope this helps

Top Bottom