1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RevolutionDCM for BTS

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by glider1, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Then I got nuthin' :D

2. Kriku

Kriku Chieftain

Having smoke near the border of unknown is almost as good as finding a map from a hut.

Attached Files:

3. Kriku

Kriku Chieftain

Civ game completely lacks the dynamics in geographical sense. All civs establish their cities and borders and become fixed entities, quite like 19th C nation states, rubbing the sides of each other during 6000 years. This is as far from the real history as Moon is from Earth.

An idea: "Evacuation" order for cities. It would produce 1 settler and a number of workers and military units respective to city size. For example, a city sized 7 would produce 1 settler, 3 workers and 3 military units and become Ruins with all buildings lost. The workers could settle back into new cities later. It would also require AI update.

Evacuation would be the way to literally evacuate endangered cities or to mount a truly all-out assault on the neighbour with better land or to run away from the neighbour who has decided to kill you off (like the Germanic tribes run away from the Alans who run away from the Huns). If all cities are cleaned up, an anarchy period would follow until establishing a city again, which would become the Capital.

This would also require lifting the ban on founding cities on rival territory.

What do you think?

4. glider1

glider1 Deity

Hi there
    Unfortunately I will not be able to complete RevolutionMP before the new year. Here attached is the work to date on Revolutions in multiplayer mode. The suggestion is to take the files and pop them into ROM271 and see if multiplayer works. Treat this as a BETA BUILD and be patient with multiplayer. I have tested a basis build of BTS 319 and Revolutions and multiplayer is very reliable in that environment.

What should work:
    1) All Revolution game options like barbarian civ etc should work in multiplayer
    2) Single player should work as per normal all options ok (Just return Revolution.ini to default)

What will not work:
    1) If a player dies in multiplayer, game will OOS. I guess in this case, the multiplayer autosave could be reloaded by the host and play continued. This problem could have serious implications for AI's that die as well. Not sure.
    2) If a player selects "defect and lead rebels" in multiplayer, game will OOS
    3) If a player selects "accept and take control of new civ" in multiplayer, game will OOS
    4) "Handover control" Revolution option has been disabled in multiplayer mode only

The reasons why options 1-4 above do not work is because currently the change player and auto play mechanisms do not work in multiplayer and cause OOS.

Have a peaceful Christmas. See you in the new year.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

5. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

@glider

Thanks for the RevolutionMP test version. I'll let the RoM MP users know about this beta and I hope we'll get some good results after the holidays. :)

Enjoy the holidays and Merry Christmas! :)

6. glider1

glider1 Deity

Same to you Zappara. In case there is any confusion, there is no modding to be done, just replace Revolution.py and Revolution.ini in ROM to get better Revolutions mod multiplayer behaviour. There is extra discussion about it occurring here:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=341764
    Cheers

7. Kriku

Kriku Chieftain

The mod is truly excellent, but it badly needs the possibility to install puppet regimes. If I conquer some cities in the other side of the world, I do not want to keep them and I cannot cede them to my vassals in the same region. This is most illogical. A special unit which could be used to start a fresh vassal civ in a given city would be wonderful.

Could it be possible to remove the restriction to accept foreign cities for the Vassal Civs?

What do you think?

8. nutnut

nutnut Budding Modder

Like in Conqueror's Delight? I'd love to see that, would definitely make my day. Perhaps if you totally conquer the civ, then the puppet regime could be the same Civ with a different leader (or a [Leader] II).

9. Craterus22

Craterus22 King

I usually just work on maps, but I am going to be attempting to try and work on my first mod (looking to modify a tech tree extensively for asoiaf scenario to help another guy and then might try to merge it with revDCM) - is it ok to use revDCM as a base? (the current mod is mostly graphics and unit/civ changes)

If it is ok - would it be reasonable to have people just make a copy of the revDCM folder and rename it and copy in the changed files? Or is that an unreasonable expectation or unlikely to be successful?

Also, do you guys have any tips or links to a good tech tree editor? Whenever I do a search on the forums it seems to only find editors that have been abandoned and do not work.

Thanks!

10. glider1

glider1 Deity

@Craterus
    Yeah enjoy modding RevDCM. Take RevDCM and rename it, and edit CvModName.py for the same name. As for tech tree editors, I cannot help.
    Cheers

11. mamba

mamba Deity

I would recommend putting everything into one download instead of having a more complicated install, where people have to copy directories and copy files over etc.

If your mod is a single dir underneath Assets/Modules which could be added to RevDCM, that could be an option for a separate download. Anything beyond that should imo include the entire mod (i.e. RevDCM and your changes) in order to minimize installation issues.

I just use a regular xml editor as for all other aspects / files.

12. Craterus22

Craterus22 King

thanks glider...

mambo - been trying to avoid the xml option (much rather drag and drop), but it looks like I have no choice - thanks

13. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

@Craterus22

Take a look at some of the other mods that use RevDCM as a base. You may be able to avoid reinventing the wheel that way, as there could be a mod out there that already adds most or all of what you want to add. Right now these are modpacks that use a RevDCM core:

14. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

For any modmakers out there, please let me know if I am missing your mod, I think there are more RevDCM based mods, but I cannot remember any other specifically right now.

15. mamba

mamba Deity

With the latest version I too made the switch to RevDCM :)

16. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

the SmarMap script doesn't place late game strategic resources properly.

Distinct lack of coal, oil, and uranium.

Many games I've played without a single oil tile on the map, or 1 offshore for the whole map.

17. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

I´ve seen the same thing when playing LoR. On a standard sized map only one oil (offshore), one coal, one aluminium and one uranium. None of them on my continent :wow: . Was fun, though :lol: ...

Bug or feature?

18. Zacar

Zacar Warlord

Hey, just started using this mod. May be the perfect mod to play good unaltered BTS for now, after switching off revolution and DCM.. I did leave the barbarian civ thing though, it seems non-radical enough!

Anyway, while I don't have a clear opinion of new advisors/button placement stuff (=mostly harmless), there is one part that I feel is worse than in vanilla BTS:

The new Civics advisor thingy (F3). There is no button to turn it off in ctrl+alt+o. So I'd like to ask: Is there an easy way to get back the vanilla civics advisor? (can I just remove some file, remove some lines in some file?)

Why I think it is worse:
    -I cannot see everything at once, but I must scroll, which is tedious.
    -the standard layout is *excellent*, as long as everything fits in one screen, of course. It's great fun to move mouse slightly in that screen and see the benefits and costs, ah, so easily.
    -missing information (at least +2happiness from barracks/nationhood).

Edit:
    The hover-text is like this at the start of my current game:

A small bug?

19. __jack__

__jack__ Warlord

Hi Glider1, Phungus and the RevDCM team... :goodjob:

I'm a big fan of the RevDCM mod. Sadly, I haven't been able to use it in MP since the version 2.5 (maybe 2.2 ?). I'm sure you guys are familiar with the matter: Every single time I attack a AI unit the game goes OOS... AI vs AI is OK.... Human VS Human is OK.

I'm using the RevMP python beta fix + the ini provided by glider as a Christmas present... :)

Appart from RevDCM, I have diversica, improved graphic and some woc compatible events (nothing fancy, just plain xml stuff).

Is my poor MP experience unique or is it the same for all RevDCM player at the moment ? :confused:

Btw, I m happy to help and do some beta testing here with my wife... We just can not return to the plain vanilla BTS !

20. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

Actually we've tracked that bug to BULL, so we recently found out specifically what is causing it. While this was the most egregious issue, RevDCM has never been supported in MP, and the current goal is to get it working in MP, at least as well as base BtS, so there is alot more to do. Currently glider1 is dilligently working on the MP compatible build, so he's the only one who knows when the next MP test release will be out.