1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RevolutionDCM for BTS

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by glider1, Feb 11, 2008.

1. mamba

mamba Deity

That is due to the WoC component of RevDCM. Long story short, you cannot set values back to an initial value (here 0) in a modular way due to it, so you will have to do so in Assets/XML.

2. Spellbinder

Spellbinder Chieftain

Hi Again,

my Mod grows and grows now and thinks are almost fine. But now I have a weired problem. I dont know if this is RevolutionDCM related or not:

Some CIV4GameText.xml files doesnt load any more. Funy thing is that they previously worked and I havent changed them. I just added other stuff at other places and they just dont load any more. I can play the game and it doesnt crash, but some buildings/units now have no names.

Any Ideas? I am clueless. It cant be a caching problem, because I tried my Mod on my wifes computer where civ wasnt installed so far. Same effect.

I hope you can help me with this. Its very frustrating.

Thanks!

3. glider1

glider1 Deity

Eh Spellbinder
    Not sure but it can get complicated. Have you doubled up xml names? Is there an xml formatting error in one of your files? Have you deleted a tag that should be in there? Is the bug somewhere else in another file that appears unrelated? Can you trace back what you have changed? Have you done anything to the modules folder where XML in there might be causing a problem? Have you enabled the logging system and checked what the logs say?
    Cheers

4. mamba

mamba Deity

As a general advice, simply put all your text into separate files instead of editing existing files.

Can't really think of anything causing this other than possibly

- some errors in the XML
    - you having the file in Assets/Modules, not Assets/XML/Text and the file not ending in _CIV4GameText.xml

5. Spellbinder

Spellbinder Chieftain

I know what went wrong now. At least I found two things and after correcting them everything seems fine now:

1. One of the Leaderheads I added hat only <English>. I added the other 4 languages.

2. One of the other _CIV4GameText.xml files was not in UTF8. I converted it.

Now all the others work again.

6. Joey9

Joey9 Chieftain

hiho,
    friends of mine and me are planning a new mulitplayer-game - the
    PerfectWorld2g.py that comes with the LoR - mod seems nearly perfect...
    (probably we play LoR without revolutions enabled - thx for all that did its part to get LoR and its components like revDCM created!!!)
    to get fewer early wars and because probably some like to have their 'own and separated' continent there are demands to have more continents in the 'old world'. i wonder if someone here could provide help to reach this goal as i have no clue which line of the code to change in which way - ideally the North/south passage for circumnavigation should be kept - maybe 3-6 or 4-8 continents for the old world would be the aim.
    so any suggestions would be nice.
    thanks in advance and have a nice day!
    joey

7. frog3

frog3 Warlord

Why do even your best allies always eventually backstab you. So ********.

8. Duneflower

Duneflower Warlord

1) The AI is coded to be biased against a human player.
    2) The AI is coded to be even more biased against a human player in 1st place.

9. Spellbinder

Spellbinder Chieftain

Hi,

I would like to add War Prize Modcomp (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=332671) into RevDCM. There is only one Python file in that Modcomp: CvEventManager.py and it just modifies the Event "onCombatResult".

So here is my question: In what file do I have to merge this? autologEventManager.py?

Or can I just copy the Python file from the Modcomp (what contains all the other unchanged events as well) to RevDCM?

Many thanks,

Spellbinder

10. Duneflower

Duneflower Warlord

That's something I'm having trouble with myself, as they actually appear to have changed the paradigm where events are concerned; can anyone more knowledgeable in that area help us out here?

11. glider1

glider1 Deity

Hi ya Dune and Spell.
    If I can get some time after the exams I'll try to explain. Essentially the events are handled in the BUGEventManager thanks to EmperorFools mod inside RevDCM. My memory is very poor and it would take me time to refresh this knowledge.
    Cheers

12. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Deity

Indeed, events are completely changed in anything integrating BUG.
    Perhaps you could ask in the BUG forum then; and I'm sure there are some tutorials

13. Duneflower

Duneflower Warlord

Wow, hi there glider. XD Yeah, that'd be great; I've been floundering on that for a while.

14. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Deity

The general idea with BUG is that you don't have to merge a new event handler with any other Python file. It allows multiple event handlers for each event that can be in different files. You create an XML file for your mod in the Config folder (similar to any of the others for the various other components) and add a line to the init.xml file in there to load your new XML file. Your config file then tells BUG what to load. A minor tweak to your new event handler file (do not use the general CvEventHandler.py file name or you might mess thigns up; in the class' __init__ function call the eventManager.addEventHandler function for each event it can handle) and that is pretty much it for most cases.

Down in the BUG forum there is a thread called "Merging BUG with other Mods" which has links to the official documentation. There is also a thread called "Merging Better AI with BUG 3.5" whcih gives a nice short example of adding something to BUG - the first "BUG installed as a standalone mod" (or something like that) would be the example to use.

15. Duneflower

Duneflower Warlord

Well, the biggest issue I have right now is what to do with an existing CIV4EventInfos.xml - where to put the events, how to translate them, etc.

16. Spellbinder

Spellbinder Chieftain

Hi God-Emperor,

that was exectly the information I needed to go on.

Thanks!

17. Spellbinder

Spellbinder Chieftain

Hi there!

Does anyone know if there is a function for python in RevolutionDCM to add Great People/Great General Points or Experience to a unit?

Thanks,

Spellbinder

18. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Deity

You should look up the Python API. You can get to it via the Modiki.

Unit experience is changed via the unit's changeExperience function. The 3rd argument, bFromCombat, control whether or not great general points are also given (and the 4th one, bInBorders, should have an effect for players who get extra GG points for combat in their own territory).

Great general points can be changed directly via the player object's changeCombatExperience function.

Great People points are kept per city, so it is done via the city object's changeGreatPeopleProgress function for generic no specific unit type points or via changeGreatPeopleUnitProgress to specify which unit type they go towards (and yes, you can assign points towards spawning any unit type, it doesn't actually have to be a great person - I would guess that assigning points to a unit that can't be built in the city would be a bad plan, like points for a caravel in a city that is not coastal).

19. Chronis

Chronis Chieftain

Love the mod thanks so much. It definitly makes the game much more challenging.

Only thing I don't like is the fact that a civilization's culture vanishes once
    their last city is wiped out.

This makes turning a beaten down civ in a vassal a no go as their culture makes your cities harder to control. It also makes the ideal playstyle = genocidal rampage.

Is it possible to keep a civs culture from dissapearing after they are destroyed?

20. Shizuko3

Shizuko3 Chieftain

keep a civs culture have logic in real world, but not in a civilization game.