1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

rework of movement promotions

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by ilteroi, Feb 7, 2018.

1. ashendashin

ashendashin Chieftain

His proposal was to change the base effect of double terrain movement, no? Now we're back to wondering why not just replace those with +1 move and such, which we assume aren't spaghetti. Or is the whole tree spaghetti? Did Firaxis hold too much spaghetti?

2. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

He wanted to retain the mechanic of feature-based bonuses. Since that's not feasible (changing it), I see no reason to touch it.

3. ashendashin

ashendashin Chieftain

They don't make sense though, so I stand by replacements.

4. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

Continue standing, but this is a dead topic. Not touching the promotions.

G

5. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

I know it’s a dead topic and all, but still gonna add something.

Someone said this would be a nerf to Iroquois, but I see it as an a huge buff.

- Iroquois already treat forest in their territory as road so woodsman is redundant there, but a +1 move would stack.

- this would change Iroquois tactics to be about hanging in forest edge and then breaking into open terrain for a full 3 moves on all units. This would make mixed forest and their territory edges very dangerous for enemy civs, because they have +1 move on ALL unitCombat classes
    • Archery and siege units with logistics could move out of forest ->fire twice or move->fire->move again
    • Siege units could move and shoot in enemy terrain, if they started turn in forest
    • Mounted units would get 5 moves, so move twice, attack, back to starting position

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  6. ashendashin

ashendashin Chieftain

Then it's kinda silencing? If we know that all discussion on double movement will yield nothing to VP, then there's no point talking about it on this forum (besides modding and such). Unless you just want a new thread discussing the worth of double movement overall? This has reached the point where we only discuss existing mechanics, since ilteroi already concluded his proposal. Otherwise I'm fine with keeping things as they are if you intend to freeze even promotion placement. Only a small peeve, after all.

7. Edaka

Edaka Chieftain

I think there has formed a slight misunderstanding. This thread was initially created by ilteroi because he was thinking about reworking how the terrain dependent movement promotions work. See this for more insight: https://github.com/LoneGazebo/Community-Patch-DLL/issues/3949 He has since concluded that he's not going to do that, so taking that and only that into consideration, the thread is as good as dead.

However, some people including me are responsible for derailing the thread into a discussion about scout promotions. That question may as well be still open because it doesn't necessarily mean a change of the core functionality of any promotion, so no work for ilteroi. It's possible to resolve it, if there's anything to resolve, by toying around with the existing promotions. That's a whole other topic to discuss. Therefore, I think there should be a separate thread for that in order to avoid confusion.

Edit: I realize that not all of us are talking just about scouts, seeing as Iroquois have been mentioned, but my point still stands: this discussion can be restarted in a different thread with the newly agreed upon condition that there can be no change to the core functionality, the D(ark)LL side.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  8. ashendashin

ashendashin Chieftain

It's not THAT much of a derailment besides the exact wording being off at this point. All that happened was a previous discussion on movement resurfacing after the initial proposal failed.
    If we really want to deal with semantics then a new thread is appropriate, yes.

9. Tekamthi

Tekamthi Chieftain

I'll sometimes move good, easily-implemented ideas from these "dead" discussions into my own modding... not necessarily this one in particular (i haven't had time to open modbuddy in weeks now), but I appreciate those who make thoughtful replies even where left by the wayside by G et al.

.dll might be out, but I suspect this kind of +1 terrain moves change could be fairly easily mod-mod'd, for any lua-literate, time-rich person with spare cpu cycles to run a bit more code each turn..

10. cammcken

cammcken Chieftain

Btw, this can also speed up a unit. The promotion reduces the cost of crossing rivers to 1 MP, even if the tile is hills/forest.

11. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

But if you have one plain tile and one forest on the other side of the river, using amphibious can you move 2 tiles going through the forest as if you were going through the plains? I don't think it works this way.

12. cammcken

cammcken Chieftain

It's been a while since I've played Vikings, but I remember it because it seemed buggy. Maybe it's been fixed since then.

13. Rekk

Rekk Chieftain

It's not the Amphibious promotion that does this, but the Viking UA.

cammcken likes this.
  14. randomnub

randomnub Chieftain

Moi Magnus and tu_79 like this.